Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fit of the Week: Standard Cane

[Hurricane, Sexual Tyrannosaurus]
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

10MN MicroWarpdrive II
Warp Scrambler II
Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II

425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP M
Medium Energy Neutralizer II
Medium Energy Neutralizer II

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Core Defence Field Extender I
Medium Core Defence Field Extender I

Warrior II x5
Light Armor Maintenance Bot I x1


This is one of my favorite ships to fly.  The Cane has so much going for it: good speed, great damage, decent tank, and a lot of flexibility.  The range is no great shakes: this fit can only shoot out to about 1.5+12 with high damage EMP ammo, or 3+17 with Barrage.  But with 1500m/s speed (2100m/s overheated), it's quite capable of closing range and features cruiser-class agility.  I've decloaked a Recon that jumped through a gate to me with this fit, though granted, that Recon was burning back to gate to get away from me.  ;-)  But it's not an easy ship like a Drake.  I lost a number of these until I learned to fly them well.  It's a ship that rewards player skill rather than pilot skill.

There are a number of variants to this basic package.  There's enough power for a second LSE2, or plenty of spare CPU if you want to fit a Tracking Enhancer or even a fourth Gyro.  But I like the balance between speed, tank, and DPS that the combination above gives, particularly for small-gang work with no Vulture along.  If you do have a mindlinked Vulture, though, by all means, add the second LSE2 instead of the Invul and rely on the Vulture for your resists.  In that case, this ship becomes a buffed monster.  Similarly, if you have a Sleipnir or Claymore in your gang to provide extra agility and speed, the Cane becomes a different but equally scary kind of monster.

I tend to run with an overheated Scram in this fit, which makes it great as a heavy tackle, but not so good as initial tackle.  I rely on the other members of my gang for the initial tackle.  Nothing wrong with putting a point on yours.  And again, I've mixed Nano and DC2 (maybe that's a signature move on my part?) but in this case, the combination makes sense.  The Cane has a ton of native armor and the DC2 only makes it stronger.

Finally, this fit demonstrates another interesting point about 0.0 logistics.  Those that want 0.0 logistics made much more difficult often discount the difficulties of living in deep 0.0.  Production, especially T2 production, is high on that list.  "Just gather what you need locally," is the normal rallying cry of this set, but let's look at this Cane closely.  It uses:
  • T2 Minmatar guns, Gyros, MWD, Scram, and Nano, all from Minmatar 0.0;
  • T2 LSE and Invul, from Caldari 0.0, plus shield rigs, salvage for which is found primarily in Caldari space;
  • T2 neuts, from Amarr 0.0; and,
  • a T2 Damage Control, from Gallente 0.0.
Truly a ship that pulls together the best from all of EVE, no?  In other words, there's no place in 0.0 that you can build this ship without being heavily reliant on other 0.0 regions.  This is one of the reasons it will take an 8.0 earthquake to shake EVE into the little competing fiefdoms that CCP Greyscale wants...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.