Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Fit of the Week: Terrier Taranis

[Taranis, Terrier]
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Coreli C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Damage Control II

Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Warp Disruptor II
Warp Scrambler II

Light Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Light Electron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
E5 Prototype Energy Vampire

Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I

Hobgoblin II x2


For my money, Faffywaffy is the best Interceptor pilot in EVE.  I haven't revealed my in-game identity yet (that's coming as we get closer to the CSM candidate selection process), but he and I both used to be in Gentlemen's Club alliance back when we held a sweet little constellation in Scalding Pass.  Faffy taught Interceptor/tackle classes for GC and I took that class.

He has an interesting perspective on Interceptors: his feeling is that if you're flying tackle for a small gang, your job is to tackle and not get too mixed up in trying to do DPS.  Your job is to grab the target, hold it down, and clamp on hard until your gang can take over.  Concentrate on tackle and survivability.

So, this encourages an Inty with the smallest guns and a decent tank.  Grab the target, pin him down, shoot him once.  Then shut down your guns!  Save them for any drones your target launches at you.  Same with your own drones, if any.  Tank the target's damage as best you can, and hold onto that target until the last possible second.

It's a great concept and since I started following his advice, I've gotten lots more tackles and pulled lots more inties out of them alive.  Down to structure, some of them, but I pulled 'em out.  I've got about 75 kills in this particular Taranis fit.  In particular, I took this Ranis against an AHAC fleet with a friendly gang and the thing shone.  I'd dive into the middle of these AHACs, scram one and orbit him at 500, point another, and they could not get rid of me.  When the fleet killed either my scram or point target, I'd put that mod on someone new (moving to a tight orbit on the new scram target if necessary), rinse and repeat.  It was awesome.  I've also won a four against one battle in it: me alone in my Ranis versus four stealth bombers attacking a friendly freighter.  The dead-space armor repper helps, particularly overheated, and isn't too expensive.

If the fit's got a weakness, it's probably the Nanofiber/DC combo in the lows.  Maybe, that should be an Overdrive Injector II.  But I find myself doing a lot of super-tight orbits and the Nano definitely helps there.  It also requires either Advanced Weapon Upgrades V, or you can downshift the NOS to a 'Ghoul' or 'Knave' which needs less power.

If you like the Ranis, try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.