Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Immersion -1

I finally figured out what's been bothering me about the new EVE character creator the last 24 hours or so.


When using the new character creator, we're supposed to be focusing on faces (and maybe a bit on bodies) this go-around, and not so much on clothes and accessories. More clothes and accessories will be added later, either for free or for uPLEX. I've decided I'm going to delay redoing my three mains until the last possible moment, hoping for more free options. We'll see.

In the meantime, though, the entire EVE universe feels a little flatter and much closer to our own world. Well, our world circa the 1980s, anyway. Everyone wears a pair of sweat pants, a tank top, either a vest or a Members Only jacket, and Top Gun aviators. The hairstyles, similarly, are right out of Fast Times at Ridgemont High (OK, the Phoebe Cates bob is missing, and trust me, I looked
). Make-up, ditto.  Tattoos, out entirely.  The only thing missing to make the 1980s motif complete are bangles and dangly earrings.  And this is the ultimate sci-fi simulator, taking place millenia in the future?

Even the faces feel much blander and flatter. On the one hand, I'm happy, because my Achura characters are no longer RPG game Asian stereotypes. On the other hand, I'm sad, because there are no RPG game Asian stereotypes.

So, yeah. EVE's immersion just got turned down a few notches. Which is damn ironic if you think about it, considering the toons are much more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.