Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, January 21, 2011

Seven things I think about the CSM and CCP

This post is probably going to become one of the corner-stones of my campaign.  I might expand on a few of them in later blog posts, but here are...

Seven things I think about the CSM and CCP

1. I think the CSM should focus on a "macro" view of EVE -- the game as a whole -- instead of the "micro" individual issues.
Many of the design decisions for EVE are made long before the CSM ever hears about them.  Many more are protected by NDA and even if the CSM wanted to, they can't ask on the EVE-O forums what players think.  The CSM has a lot of influence with CCP, there's no doubt of that.  But the influence is mainly projected into the future design state of the game (Incarna), or large over-arching issues with the game (blasters, micro-transactions, 0.0 sov warfare) that CCP is already aware of, rather than individual issues (rockets, making a longer watch list).  However...

2. I think the CSM is the best advocate the players have for getting major gripes in the game fixed.
The Assembly Hall is a great place for players to bring these up, or you can bring them up directly to the CSM delegate of your choice.  And there's a ton of them out there.  And that itself is a problem.  There are so many little niggling issues with EVE that people get frustrated with the game, and unsub, so...

3. I think CCP really needs to spread the love to the customers they have already -- us!
I'm a real-life businessman, as I mentioned in my first blog post, and I can tell you the old truism about customers is solid truth: it's a hell of a lot easier to keep the customers you have than it is to attract new ones.  CCP's eye is fixed on the future these days -- Incarna, DUST 514, World of Darkness -- instead of the present.  And while CSM5 did a fantastic job of reminding CCP that we're out here, CSM6 has to keep that momentum going.  To do that...

4. I think that CCP should be encouraged to have a continuing team of developers focused on iterative development of EVE Online.
I posted a proposal to this effect on the Assembly Hall myself (whoops, I just pre-announced my candidate character, but so be it).  And lo and behold, half this job is done.  There's a development team in EVE called "Team Best Friends Forever".  Their job, in Arnar's words, "will be dedicated to a project of implementing a collection of small fixes and iterations to existing issues in the game."  And this is terrific.  But CCP should be encouraged to make this team perpetual, because...

5. I think that CCP needs to be reminded that they are fantastic at developing new features for EVE, but not so good at improving them later.
And that's where the CSM can really make a difference.  CCP's development process could easily support this.  There are a ton of "features" in EVE that haven't been touched since their first introduction into the game: COSMOS missions, faction warfare, bounty hunting, epic mission arcs, sleeper sites, certificates, the visual upgrades in the ship introduced in Trinity... the list goes on.  All of these things are screaming for a little dev love, faction warfare especially.  This bodes ill for Incarna because while...

6. I think Incarna is a fantastic idea, but if CCP is not careful, it could go a long way toward breaking the game we love.
I love the idea of Incarna because it could bring swarms of new players to EVE.  More new players is good for everyone: more ISK, more PvP targets, more everything!  But if CCP follows the pattern of a fantastic introduction followed by lack-luster follow-up, this could be fatal.  Incarna has to be introduced well to EVE, but it also has to be done so in a way that respects the current EVE players.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned in a prior blog post, I think the Incarna team is hostile toward the CSM because the CSM doesn't love their baby as much as they do.  The CSM can't afford to break that relationship, so...

7. I think I would make a great CSM member because I've got the right background for CCP to take me seriously, and I'm hugely enthusiastic about EVE's future.
I think I can reopen that relationship.  It's what I do in real-life.  I can remind the Incarna team of a long-term player's perspective on the things we love about EVE.  I sure as hell don't want to have to step out of my ship to use the Market!  But since I'm enthusiastic about and have ideas about what Incarna can be good for (more about this soon), I can communicate the current EVE player's concerns about Incarna in a way that's respectful to the team that's worked so hard on it.  There are a lot of little factions in CCP, and the CSM has to maintain friendly relationships with all of them.

So, that's it.  A little unorthodox, but that's a long version of why I'm running for CSM.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your approach, which is a good combination of big picture and focus. It's a lot harder for many players to understand why you're not raging to CCP about this or that specific mechanic, but I think in general people are beginning to come around to the idea that CSM focus on the big picture is really necessary to a healthy future EVE. CCP sure hasn't shown a lot of evidence that THEY have anything like a solid roadmap, so without CSM pusshing for that, we'll keep getting these disconnected bits and pieces tacked on without any real thought given to cohesion and interdependencies that would result in a richer, deeper sandbox.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.