Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fit of the Week: Supertanker Orca

[Orca, Supertanker]
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Damage Control II

X-Large Shield Booster II
Invulnerability Field II
Invulnerability Field II
Medium Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800

Small Tractor Beam I
Mining Foreman Link - Laser Optimization
Mining Foreman Link - Mining Laser Field Enhancement

Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Cargohold Optimization I

Vespa EC-600 x5
Hobgoblin II x5



In honor of Hulkageddon this week, I present you with the first Orca suicide-ganked in Empire during this year's event (and its rather poor fit):
http://hulkageddon4.machine9.net/killboard/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=479

Can Orcas be fitted against a gank squad?  Well, if money is no object for the gankers, no.  However, the fitting above, particularly if you have Thermodynamics skill, will be all but ungankable except against the very largest (and therefore, financially stupid) suicide squads.  It's also a really solid fit for boosting and hauling for mining ops in both high-sec and low-sec.

Carry 20 Navy Cap Booster 800 charges in cargo.  Keep the hardeners active full-time.  If you get jumped by a large group, overheat one Invulnerability Field and the Cap Booster.  As you approach 50% shields, overheat the Shield Booster.  You'll tank at almost 600 DPS for as long as your cap holds out (two minutes, if you're not neuted).  After shields go down, you'll have another 150k HP in structure.  Sic the Vespas on whatever has you tackled; see if you can warp off.

The gank squad above had about 8000 DPS going for it, which means that this Orca fit probably would have survived that gank attempt in good shape, particularly if he got off a lucky jam or two with those Vespa ECM drones.  In deep structure, certainly, but still there, and with a ton of ship wrecks surrounding him and a fantastic story to tell.  ;-)  The Orca is one of the few ships where the Reinforced Bulkheads II mod makes total sense.

The long tractor beam range means you can stay pre-aligned while supporting a mining op.  If you're using this ship in low-sec or 0.0 and you see a neut enter local, just warp off.  If you are successfully tackled in this ship in low-sec, 0.0, or a war-dec situation, this fitting will give you the maximum chance of survival, and the maximum amount of time for your corp- or alliance-mates to come to the rescue.  And by all means, go down fighting.  Five Vespa ECM drones are virtually guaranteed to break an inty or frigate tackle, so you might just be able to warp off if it's only a single ship tackling you.  If the tackler's lock breaks, just warp off, leaving the drones behind.  ECM drones are cheap.  If it's a bigger group, your tank will hold just fine against all but the most determined attacker while you clear nearby inties and frigs with the Hobs instead.

Fly safe.  :-)

EDIT (23/Jan/2013): In September 2012, I revisited the Orca with surprising results.

9 comments:

  1. what i'm curious about is why the cargo rigs? I'm close to affording my first orca and would like to make a cap stable fit, since the vast majority of miners tend to go AFK alot, especially ice mining.

    I myself have limited alt accounts so i'd be semi-afk on my main while an orca and hulk go ice mining. So a single large shield xfer would double my hulk's shield amount (in 25 seconds)

    everything below is active, and cap stable, except the local shield boost on the orca. I assume my attention would be drawn to seeing battleships warp in so hitting one booster module to active doesn't seem too much a stretch.


    [Orca, Supertanker alternative]
    Damage Control II
    Reinforced Bulkheads II
    Domination X-Large Shield Booster
    Domination Adaptive Invulnerability Field
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II
    Mining Foreman Link - Laser Optimization II
    Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
    Small Tractor Beam II
    Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I
    Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I
    Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I
    Vespa EC-600 x5
    Hobgoblin II x5

    [Hulk, icer]
    Damage Control II
    Local Hull Conversion Reinforced Bulkheads I
    Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
    Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
    Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
    Upgraded Thermic Dissipation Amplifier I
    Ice Harvester II
    Ice Harvester II
    Ice Harvester II
    Medium Cargohold Optimization I
    Medium Cargohold Optimization I
    Vespa EC-600 x5

    i'm fairly sure having the orca orbit a really small icicle @500m while the hulk orbits the orca at 7 klicks would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rigs are totally your call. But most people with Orcas want to carry stuff in them, so I tried to make this fit rig-neutral. If you really want to tank an Orca, though, Large CDFEs are the way to go. Rely on cap booster charges for cap, not Semis. This is particularly true in PvP, where neuts are such a concern.

      As with all fits, going with faction or dead-space stuff is often a good call, but is made at pilot discretion. Later FOTWs make this more clear with a disclaimer at the bottom. ;-)

      Delete
    2. well, the rigs/rechargers were for the cap stable shield xfer to fend off lightning strike catalysts. If i go with cap boosting, then i can get rid of all that in exchange for better orca resists.

      [Orca, Supertanker feedback]
      Damage Control II
      Reinforced Bulkheads II
      Domination X-Large Shield Booster
      Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
      Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
      Medium Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800
      Mining Foreman Link - Laser Optimization II
      Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
      Small Tractor Beam I
      Large Core Defense Field Extender I
      Large Core Defense Field Extender I
      Large Core Defense Field Extender I
      Vespa EC-600 x5
      Hobgoblin II x5

      plus i was reading your latest on hulks, and adapted your fit to ice mining (needing to compromise over the increased cpu usage for harvesters, plus needing 9k m3 cargo)
      [Hulk, ice - jester]
      Damage Control II
      Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
      Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
      Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
      Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
      Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
      Ice Harvester II
      Ice Harvester II
      Ice Harvester II
      Medium Cargohold Optimization I
      Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
      Vespa EC-600 x5

      Delete
  2. I wonder if your Supertanker is still valid now that CCP has introduced the Ancillary Shield Booster. I have tried several variants, but I do not seem to come to a conclusion. o7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have:

      [Orca, Supertanker ASB]
      Reinforced Bulkheads II
      Damage Control II

      X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 400
      X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 400
      Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
      Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

      [empty high slot]
      [empty high slot]
      [empty high slot]

      Large Cargohold Optimization I
      Large Cargohold Optimization I
      Large Cargohold Optimization I

      Vespa EC-600 x5
      Hobgoblin II x5


      It requires a 2-3% CPU implant. 240k EHP *and* tanks at 2000 or so DPS, requiring another couple of ships to gank. But that's for moving around high-sec with high-value cargoes. For low-sec mining and the like, what's above is still optimal.

      I've also come across another Orca fitting that's even better for moving cargo around high-sec. I'll make it a FOTW in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so very much, I am really looking forward to this. You might not know this but your blog is a treasure trove for newbies like me. o7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to no what the best fit for a noob Orca? I have not got it from Jeti yet cause I was scared they blow it up!
    Thanks Mighttuss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do these fits hold true for the Retribution changes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did an update to this post. It's here:
      http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/09/fit-of-week-travel-orca.html

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.