Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, February 4, 2011

My EVE experience

This post exists almost entirely to support my run for CSM6.  It lists my background and experience in EVE Online.  If you're interested, here it is.  If you're not, you may move on to the next post without prejudice.  ;-)  It's quite long, so feel free to just read the nine bolded points if that's all you care about.

I don't claim to be an expert in EVE.  Many of the CSM candidates have been playing since Beta.  That's not me.  I've been playing for more than three years, but EVE is an enormously deep game and I learn something new about it every single day I play.  And sometimes, even the things that I'm sure I know turn out to be embarrassingly wrong, heh.  That's how EVE is.

Still, I've played the game a lot of different ways, so here are the:

Careers I've had in EVE Online

1. I've been a miner.
One of my mains started life as a full-on miner in a Bantam.  I graduated him to a Retriever and then a Hulk.  I anchored 60 Giant Secure Containers in Akiainavas and then spent a lot of time mining into them, then switching to a Badger II to empty them.  Back then, Akia was probably the safest system in New Eden.  It showed up as a 1.0 system on the maps, but was actually 0.7 (and therefore, GSCs could be anchored).  I found mining to be a very relaxing and low-effort means of making ISK, and because of the GSCs, I was rarely troubled by can-flippers.  Later, when I moved into a WH full-time (see #7, below), the same toon mined ABC in WH grav-sites when there was nobody else from my corp on-line.  I never mine any more, but it was a good way to start the career of one of my mains and I still track mineral values pretty religiously to this day.

2. I've been a courier whore.
This grew out of #1.  I eventually purchased an Orca out of the proceeds of mining.  The same toon could soon fly an Itty V, freighter, and blockade runner, not long after the latter got the ability to use Covert Ops cloaks.  At the time, there were a lot of NPC products (today, most of them are PI products) that could be shipped at good profits from region to region.  While I was moving those, I'd take Couriers between the regions where I would travel to supplement that income.  This was great because it was an even more relaxing way of making money than mining.  I never made a huge score on Couriers, but some of them were rather lucrative at the time (people who could fly Orcas/freighters in high-sec at this time were rare, and people who would risk their blockade runners in low-sec even moreso).  Keeping track of the Couriers became wearing, though, so like #1, I still maintain an interest in this topic.

3. I've taught a lot of beginners basic PvP.
At this same time, I moved another main almost directly to low-sec and 0.0 to start practicing PvP.  And got my butt kicked.  A lot.  This prompted me to take PvP classes from anyone willing to teach them, and before long, I was teaching what I'd learned to members of corps I joined.  I was a Teacher's Assistant in college, and the skills I learned there translated directly over to EVE.  It's easy to teach people when they want to learn the subject.  Since then, I've taught basic PvP in nearly every corp I've been a member of, to ever-larger classes of students.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of ISK to be made in this one.  I still teach PvP classes to this day.

4. I learned how to FC in high-sec war-decs.
This grew out of #2 and #3.  I found myself in a situation where I soon knew more about PvPing than the members of the high-sec corps my trading main was part of, and his activities would get my corp war-dec'ed.  Which led me to the point where I started to learn how to FC fleets myself.  At first, I was terrible at this.  These days, I consider myself average.  ;-)  I started looking for, and found, corps with more experienced members, but sometimes the biggest mistake you can make is to tell people you've FC'ed in EVE.  You're immediately pressed into the job, heh.  Before long, I found myself FC'ing 20 or 25 man gangs in high-sec war-decs, and winning more battles than I lost.

5. I've been a hard-core L4 mission grinder.
This one grew out of #3 and #4.  I spent a lot of time in a high-sec corp as part of Sturmgrenadier Syndicate.  They would take new players with very low skill-points, and for a while, I was one of their recruiters.  As a result, I needed to help these newbies build up their wallets.  So for more than a year, I ran a weekly L4 mission group of 8-14 pilots and we would grind L4 missions, sometimes 25 in one night!  Missions are horribly repetitive, but the experience taught me more about leading fleets and the strengths and weaknesses of different ship types.  Since SG was fixed to a particular area of space, I couldn't do as many couriers as I had in the past, so my main income source during this time was solo-ing L4s when I wasn't running the fleets.

6. I've been in the thick of faction warfare.
Faction warfare started at about this time, and Sturmgrenadier decided to get into it.  I was part of the Amarr-Minmatar conflict, and put my FC'ing experience to work on this front in destroyer and cruiser battles.  Mostly, what I learned is that faction warfare is terribly broken.  :-P  The LP in faction warfare sucks, the PvE component is sort of stapled on, and I swear it's harder to make a FW system change hands than it is to make a 0.0 system change hands!  It was difficult to pull together fleets because a lot of FW pilots had to spend a lot of time in high-sec missioning in order to be able to afford faction warfare.  Then you'd end up taking FW fleets into high-sec to try to gank the other guy's missioners...  Anyway, end of rant: it's broken, and I recognize it.

7. I've lived full-time in a wormhole.
Sturmgrenadier got out of FW and some of us moved into a class 2 wormhole full-time, living out of a POS.  The class 2 in question had both a static connection to high-sec and a static connection to a class 4, which made it a rather valuable commodity.  Dear Heaven, how the ISK poured in during this period!  The amount of money that we could make was game-unbalancing.  Still, it was also terribly dull.  To bring in real money, you needed a good size fleet available.  I live in California, which means that by the time I can get into EVE, a lot of guys were going to bed.  So I spent a lot of time during my wormhole living catching the tail ends of ops, then going out by myself to crack radar and mag sites, or cherry-pick grav sites (see #1).  There just isn't enough variety in W-space yet; we'd end up doing the same two or three kinds of sites over and over again.  I also learned that living out of a POS is a nightmare that needs fixing.

8. I'm an industry/market care bear.
I trained an alt for researching blueprints, and set up a research corp and POS in high-sec, then started researching all the cheap BPOs.  These days, this is how I make most of my ISK.  I invent a T2 BPC for something profitable, and either sell the BPCs or build the items myself and sell them.  I also build and sell a ton of T1 items.  Yes, I have a dedicated market alt.  A couple of them, in fact.  Yes, I have a spreadsheet.  Yes, it's rather longish.  ;-)  So I can speak intelligently on a variety of industry/market topics.  I have other ways of making ISK, but this is the big one, and the ISK from this happily feeds my PvP habit, because...

9. I'm in the thick of 0.0 sov warfare.
After a long time spent in WHs, high-sec corps, and non-sov-holding 0.0 corps, I decided I wanted a piece of the Great Game.  I love small-gang PvP.  It's probably my first love in EVE.  But the true difference between EVE and other MMOs are the dramas between the sov-holding alliances and the massive fleet battles that ensue.  I've always been in smaller corps and alliances, though, which made wanting to get into 0.0 sov warfare tricky.  Still, I was very happy as a member of Gentlemen's Club, which was at the time a small sov-holding alliance in Scalding Pass.  When GC folded, I bided my time for a bit to see if the alliance that was born out of GC's death would go after sov -- they didn't.  So, I joined another small sov-holding alliance, Get Off My Lawn, where I am today.  Technically, we're part of the NC but we do a lot of our own small fleets in addition to the massive fleet battles, which suits me right down to the ground.

So, what haven't I done?  I haven't been a pirate.  I haven't been a mercenary.  And I haven't played too much with PI yet, except on SiSi.  But other than those three, I feel like I have solid experience in every other area of EVE Online.

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget griefing :)

    Trying to think out of the box with ships and modules.

    You would be suprised to see what we can do and what we do within EVE.

    Nice blog,

    Orions Lord

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a starter player, I was just wondering why you would join a trading corp rather than start your own corp. Also, how do you find a good trading corp? And didn't they mind that another of your toons was in another corporation at the same time?
    Do you try and maintain complete separation between your toons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anon0426: I had this silly idea that MMOs were social. ;-) It wasn't that I joined a "trading corp", as such. Initially, I joined a lot of Empire-based corps involved in a lot of different activities and would draw war-decs on us because I was moving haulers full of stuff through the major pipes.

    These days, I do indeed keep my industry/trade characters in my own corp, away from my PvP-focused characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right - I was just wondering how you did this, as I got the impression in the few months that I've been playing that most corps don't want you to be members of another corp (unless it's a sister corp with a different purpose), and that is what Limited API checks are supposed to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must not be understanding your question. If you're talking about #4, above, at the time, I was a member of either a single high-sec corp or Sturmgrenadier, and my other activities were done within a corp that I owned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I just assumed from your post that you had simultaneously had one toon in a null sec corp, and another in a high sec industrial corp.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.