Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Two more bonus positions

I've spent a ton of time reading the EVE-O forums and player blogs over the last few months, since I internally made the decision to run for CSM.  But as that activity has stepped up in the last four or five weeks, I've come to the conclusion that there are two other positions I'm going to champion if I'm selected to be on CSM6:

1. Smite anything that is not fun!  EVE is a game.  It's supposed to be fun.  CCP forgets this, and they need to stop.  We're not playing EVE to help them simulate a realistic capitalistic economic and logistical model.  We're playing EVE to relax and have a good time.  Grinding rats or missions for ISK is one thing.  All MMO players accept a certain amount of grind as a cost of doing business, and we're directly benefiting from that.  But anything that doesn't directly benefit players and that isn't fun needs to be mercilessly crushed.  It may be too late to do much about the "not fun" elements already in the game -- though I'm gonna try.  But if I'm on the CSM and I'm shown a new upcoming EVE feature by CCP, my very first question to them is going to be "Is this fun?  Would you spend your spare time doing this?"

2. Give players more control and access.  The more I think about this, the more I think that a lot of the problems in EVE and EVE development can be solved by handing them off to EVE players.  We're a pretty enthusiastic bunch, I've noticed.  ;-)  Give EVE players more access and they can help CCP.  More contests to design (and redesign!) ships. Contests to design clothes or environments for Incarna. More functionality and openness for the API, for industry, market, corps, and couriers. The designers of Capsuleer should not have to beg CCP for a year just to get the tools they need to help other EVE Online players.  I can even think of a couple of out-of-the-box ways for players to help combat bots.

So there you go, two more bonus positions to go with my original seven.

2 comments:

  1. Rip, remember that fun is really subjective. For example, I don't find PI fun, but some do. How anybody could find mining interesting is beyond my comprehension, but people do it anyways.

    Then again, being a politician isn't about pleasing everyone. Keep on the trail m8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, very good call, and if one person, when I ask "Is this fun?" answers "Yes it is," my response will be "All right then, carry on." ;-)

    I don't care how you have fun in EVE, as long as you're having fun.

    When I think of un-fun elements in EVE, I think about things like on-lining POS mods, fueling POSes, long-range logistics, clone timers... etc. Things the game forces us to do -- usually arbitrarily -- and things that get in the way of going out and having a good time, no matter what having a good time means to you. ;-)

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.