Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shadowy reflections

Actually, I have one more initial thought about CSM6 that I want to get out right away.  Then I'm taking the rest of the weekend to actually play EVE instead of talking about it.  ;-)
Belloq: You and I are very much alike. Archeology is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you. It would take only a nudge to make you like me. To push you out of the light.
Indiana Jones: Now you're getting nasty.
Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favorite movies.  It works on so many levels.  And one of its best characters (in a movie not exactly lacking for great characters) is Belloq, Indiana Jones's sly competitor.  It would have been easy to make Belloq a mustache-twirling villain in the piece, but Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas opt for something much more complex.  Belloq is absolutely right: there's not all that much difference between himself and the "hero" of the piece, Indiana Jones.  Of course, Indy isn't exactly a stereotype hero either...

Which brings us to Seleene and The Mittani.

Six out of nine chairs in CSM6 are held by 0.0 power blocs.  The Mittani is the obvious leader of that coalition, and given how much he's done to get so many of those people elected, we can be sure that all five of the others are going to fall in line rather rapidly.  That not only gives The Mittani a solid majority of CSM opinion when CCP asks it a question, it also does an excellent job of making Trebor Daehdoow completely irrelevant.  The Mittani has done nothing to hide his utter disdain of Trebor.  But I'll bet you a sizable sum of ISK right now that TM will throw Trebor a bone: he'll offer to have his bloc vote Trebor in as Secretary at the first CSM meeting in a week.  TM needs someone to do the actual work, after all.  Trebor would be wise to tell TM "thanks, no," he's not interested in that position, but we'll see if he does.

Meissa Anunthiel is also irrelevant, but Meissa seems to like that just fine.  He pops up to win elections, shows up at Summits to give an honest, balanced opinion of the industrialist in EVE, and then disappears until the next election.  TM can and will ignore him.

Which leaves Seleene.  The Mittani needs Seleene on his side, desperately.

I still haven't said exactly what I do for a living, and now, I probably won't, ever.  And I've never met The Mittani.  But here's a hint about what I do for a living: I've met, talked with, and worked with Steve Jobs on several occasions, the first almost ten years ago.

Here's a little secret about Steve Jobs.  He has two ways of dealing with people: using them, or seducing them.  Steve Jobs can be incredibly seductive when he wants to be.  And don't get your panties in a twist, Apple fans.  Steve Jobs is brilliant, charismatic, has a fantastic knowledge of facts, a superb memory, and a great way of looking at the world and at technology.  But when dealing with people?  Yeah.  He uses them, or he seduces them.  And sometimes, an individual can bounce back and forth in Steve Jobs's eyes between these two extremes, several times.

I'd bet a second sizable sum of ISK that The Mittani in real life is exactly the same way.  And Seleene is going to get the full effect of TM's seduction over the next week or so, if this hasn't started already.  TM needs Seleene's credentials and knowledge as a past dev.  Unlike Trebor, TM had a very high opinion of Seleene even before Seleene ran for CSM.  That opinion is only strengthened now.  The Mittani is going to (possibly correctly) believe that having Seleene on his side will increase his credibility in the eyes of CCP.  Seleene does have strong opinions about the issues that The Mittani cares about, so it's a potentially very interesting alliance.

After the election results were announced, Seleene excitedly tweeted that he'd been elected as Vice Chair.  Mynxee quickly (and correctly) pointed out that the Vice Chair will be elected at the CSM's first meeting.  But count on TM using that initial excitement.  I'm sure TM would rather have White Tree or the like as Vice Chair.  But he's no dummy, so he'll offer the post to Seleene first.  It's going to be very interesting to see if Seleene accepts.

Will Belloq and Indiana Jones be working together?


  1. I've got a bad feeling about this. Why does it always have to be snakes?


  2. Why does Mittens "need" Seleene?

  3. Does such control of the CSM really have the potential to include impact? I can't help but think that the new Junta has already overreached. With control resting in a power block that represents such a minority of the actual player base, won't it be in CCP's best interest to dial back their influence? If they can't match the hard work, diligence, and fair representation (seemed fair, anyway) of the prior CSM then surely CCP will be less receptive to what they have to say.

    On the lighter side, I'm wondering if there are any betting pools out there on how many break their NDAs?

  4. "Why does Mittens 'need' Seleene?"

    Just a guess: Mittens needs Seleene to legitimize his position. While the 0.0-bloc could just dominate the CSM, it would make for terrible PR: people would doubt the legitimacy of the CSM as a representation of _all_ players. And there are probably more reasons as well.

    @Ripard: Sorry that you didn't make it- you gave a valiant effort! But not telling us what you do for a living... I am now tempted to hazard a guess or two :)

  5. Ripard, first let me just say that, yes, my initial tweet was a bit absent minded. :) I'm not sure what Mitten's 'plans' are but it remains to be seen if his 'campaign mode' persona and his actual use of his position as CSM Chair will be the same. Personally, I'm going to wait and see what happens but I'm choosing to be optimistic. As with all things, time will tell.

    Mittens is going to need everyone, tbh, just as we are all going to need each other if any ground is to be gained in CSM6. I spoke with Mittens here in Iceland as the 'CCP Presents' presentation was going on and we both shared a healthy skepticism of what we spent 2 hours watching (Where the FUCK are the spaceships?) so I believe there is a basis for common ground.

    As to any official position on the CSM, if I'm offered / voted in as Vice Chair, I'll probably accept it. If not, I won't lose any sleep over it and I'm not likely to be seduced into anything I don't agree with. ;) I was surprised to see my position in the voting and I'm just happy to have a voice for the players.

    I am very sad that you did not get a seat, much less even alternate. I thought that you ran a fantastic campaign. I'm doubly surprised that neither Roc nor Jonathan landed a spot either. I still fully intend to try to keep the lines of communication open with you as things move forward. I value your input and hope you keep blogging as well.

  6. Really sad you did not make it.
    One can hoe thought that over the year Rippard will gain more recognition. Jester and Rippard seam 2 different people.

  7. @Druur Monakh: exactly right. Without Seleene, CSM6 is a one-issue CSM. Check out the ages (and even the KB records) of our new CSM delegates. The bulk of them have no idea how the majority of EVE players play this game. A bunch of them, including our Comrade Chairman, are what I would be tempted to call post-EVE meta-players.

    And feel free to guess all you want. Just don't expect me to confirm or deny. ;-) And thanks for your support.

    @Seleene: Mittens has thrown himself willingly between a rock and a hard place. He's promised to the players (and to his 0.0 power-bloc) to be a bastard and push hard for his positions. But he's going to find that being a bastard doesn't carry a drop of water with CCP. They happily ignored four out of five CSMs. Making it five out of six isn't going to be difficult for them. Hell, it's their default position.

    Thanks for your kind words. Good luck to you on CSM6! I think you've really got your work cut out for you. I imagine I'll have a few words to say about it from time to time in this very space. ;-)

    As for "where the fuck are the spaceships?", you really need to go read my devil and angel posts. Let me know if you need the links. ;-)

    @Anon708: Jester and Ripard ARE two different people. ;-)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.