Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fashion police

And now an important message from Jester's evil twin, Garth.  The opinions of Garth are not the opinions of Jester (unless they are).

Like many of you, computer games are my hobby.  Like many of you, I like to spend money on my hobbies.  And happily, CCP has decided to take advantage of that fact.  Just listen!
CCP Zinfandel> Hello Kyle - we have been talking about the prices regularly in here. There are expensive items in the shop. Noble Appliances Corporation opened these shops particularly to target the wealthy capsuleer community.
What's he talking about?  The new Noble Exchange in EVE Online, of course.  I love plain grey just as much as I know all of you do, and CCP is being good enough to cater to my need for bland grey clothing by charging me 3600 AUR for a plain grey shirt.  This is about $20 U.S., which coincidentally, is how much a real plain grey shirt costs in the EVE Online store.  So that's really good planning on CCP's part there.
CCP Zinfandel> Some people treat EVE Online not as a video game but as a hobby. They enjoy investing in their hobby and find that it makes them feel more connected with their hobby. We want to support that for those players who want it.
Of course, with the busy summer fashion season coming up, I'm going to have to go for a new outfit: a sterling dress shirt, commando pants (me, I thought commando meant something else), and precision boots.  There's only one problem, though.  I'll have to decide if I want a full suit of EVE clothes, or a video card that is capable of displaying my new full suit of clothes.  Looks like they'll cost about the same.
CCP Zinfandel > And they are being designed by RL fashion designers.
I'd do it with my current video card, but running the Captain's Quarters on my current video card uses 68% of its GPU capacity.  With my toon just standing there.

Doing nothing.

It's OK, though.  My video card is probably too old, given that I bought it all the way back in late April 2011.  (Yes, really.)

I think my favorite part of this is how, since the Summer of Rage last year, CCP has refined their communications strategy for dealing with unhappy players.  The new strategy, "Double Down On Our Latest Bold Move And Tell The Stupid Customers To Shut The Fuck Up", is so much better, don't you think?

I don't think I'm gonna go for the monocle, though.  $68 seems slightly steep.  I think my good buddy Randomize All summed up the return on investment of this item best when he said "if the Ocular implant gives you x-ray vision, then it's possibly worth it.  If not..."  Indeed.  Besides, I can get one of those much more inexpensively elsewhere, it turns out.
CCP Chiliad > Chewiest, as Zinfandel pointed out, expensive things are for people with a thicker wallet.
Those of you who are saying that EVE just jumped the shark with a stuffed virtual shark that costs 8500 AUR have no true fashion sense and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Garth out!

The preceding has been an important message from Jester's evil twin, Garth.  Garth clearly believes that when it comes to sarcasm and overkill, if spanking a baby is good, spanking it with an axe is better.

4 comments:

  1. Please do send my best regards to Garth for his nice insight and thankx to you for posting what was on my mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jumped the shark? failed to jump the shark and plummeted straight down its gullet is more like it.

    Ok, incarna I could handle, building up an avatar I could handle. but microtransactions? really? bleh. Global agenda's starting to sound pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing about the noble exchange store is you dont have to get involved with it at all. I play EVE to fly ships, mine, mission and have fun and as far as I am concerned my character can wander around naked, What he or she wears has no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe I can see the sarcasm dripping of the video card comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.