Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Global Agenda Medic PvE Guide

After about a month of playing GA now, I feel confident enough to call this an ideal PvE fitting for the Medic class.  It's not something that I'd dream of using in PvP, but for both missions and raids, I haven't found a set-up that's better.

[Balanced], 4 points
Jetpack Power
Power Pool Increase
Team Boost Increase (morale reduction for boost)
Power Pool Return

[Healer], 9 points
Group Heal Size
Heal Durations ->
Heal Durations II
Beam Heal Cost ->
Beam Heal Boost ->
Beam Heal Boost II
Clutch Healer (-20% cooldown)
Passive Healer (+5% healing, +10% duration)
Super Healer

[Equipment]
Life Stealer (dddddd)
Euthanizer Rifle (rddddd)
BioFeedback Beam (rhhhhh)
Medic Crescent Jetpack (pppppp)
Healing Grenade (xxcccc)
Protection Wave (hxcccc)
Regeneration (htcccc)
Healing Boost (mmmhhh)


Except for the jetpack and melee weapon, the fitting assumes level 30, and the full 13 points into skills, so if you're not level 30, this will be something to build toward.  As you build the character, put the points into the Healer tree first, adding the four points in the Balanced tree after you're done.  The jetpack requires level 40; use a Hands Free jetpack until then.  The melee weapon requires level 32; use the best Poison Injector you can find until then.

The most important piece of advice I can give a Medic in PvE is that you're going to be expected to be a healer... all the time.  Anything that you're doing that's taking away from that role is probably a bad idea, though there are a few exceptions.

Your BioFeedback Beam is your most important main weapon.  As a matter of fact, 95% or more of the time, you should forget that you're carrying a gun and a melee weapon at all.  Nobody is going to give you grief if you spend the entire PvE session with the BioFeedback Beam in your hand.  You probably will get some grief if it's not!  ;-)  The BFB is the best PvE healing weapon available in my view, for two reasons.  First, it scales well since you can use it both standard mode, or in right click mode to double its effectiveness.  The variants on the Adrenaline Gun do not have an "oh shit" button if things start to go south for whomever you're healing.  Second, unlike the Boost Beam, the BFB will heal you at the same time it is healing the target.  In Maximum Security or Ultra Maximum Security PvE, keeping yourself alive is just as important as keeping your target alive.

Most of the time, you're going to stay in close proximity to the team's Assault.  You want to be close enough to the Assault at all times to provide on-the-spot healing, but not so close to him that you lose track of him if he jumps or is knocked out of your sight by an attack.  You also don't want to be so close that you are taking the brunt of area of effect attacks hitting the Assault.  If your team has no Assault, determine who on the team is the most suicidal and stick with them -- usually, this person won't be hard to spot.  ;-)  If your team has multiple Assaults, make sure they coordinate to determine which of them is going to tank.

Your three off-hands are all geared toward keeping yourself and a large group alive in the midst of a chaotic fight.  When entering the fight, open with Regeneration.  You're going to take a surprising amount of fire, and you have to be able to take it and not get distracted by it.  Protection Wave should be saved for large encounters with multiple weak targets.  It's not as useful against AI elites, for instance, as it is against a large wave of Alarm Responders or Minions.

You can use the Healing Grenade in one of two ways, and you'll find yourself varying between them as you gain experience.  The first and more common usage is to drop it near members of the team that you can't spend your time concentrating on.  For instance, you'll find your Robotics will try to edge near the front to drop turrets on top of ground the Assault takes.  While healing the Assault, you can't concentrate on the Robo too, so instead, drop the Healing Grenade at his feet and then forget about him.  The second use for the Healing Grenade is to supplement your BFB in serious assaults.  Sometimes, the extra healing that the grenade provides is the difference between saving and losing someone.

Try to save your Healing Boost for when it's really, really necessary.  The advantage that it gives you is not that impressive; it's main use is when the entire team is affected by something serious and you have multiple members being hit from multiple directions.  For instance, if an Alarm Responder wave spawns, you'll often get attackers both on one of your rear flanks and ahead of you at the same time. At these times, being able to drop Protection Wave and Healing Boost simultaneously (if both are ready) is invaluable.

Use your Shift key to crouch frequently.  A Medic only rarely has to move very fast, and crouching makes you a smaller target.  Better still, crouch behind cover or on the far side of a doorway, letting your Assault stand out in the open.  This won't save you from lobbed AoE attacks such as a Ballista's grenades, though, so stay alert and maintain good situational awareness.

Finally, you do have weapons and you can use them judiciously.  In particular, it's useful for the Medic to lead the opening charge on a PvE mission with his rifle and his Regeneration active.  I like to open Maxes by firing a few shots at every Minion I can see, attracting the attention of all of them to a single spot: me.  I then fall back firing until the Assault catches up, then hide behind him.  Nearly all Assaults carry a grenade of some sort, and giving them a nice clump of bad guys to throw it into without the immediate distraction of having threat is quite helpful to them.  The Medic rifles are also the game's most accurate, so you can use them to mop up heavily damaged enemies that less accurate weapons like the Assault's minigun might miss.

All in all, the Medic is a rather soothing class to play.  There's no expectation on you to hit targets, other than one friendly target on your own team. You're not expected to lead, and for the most part, will be spending a lot of time following other people around.  As a result, you can relax and enjoy yourself.  Even if you get no kills at the end of the mission, as long as everyone lives, you've done your job.  ;-)

10 comments:

  1. What are the secret codes in brackets after the weapons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. d = +3% damage
    c = -2% cooldown (faster)
    h = +3% healing
    r = +10% range
    x = +10% AOE
    t = +10% duration

    Multiplied by the number of such factors, do ddd is +9% damage. Each item will have a base number of factors to it, between one and three. You can then add one additional mod that adds an additional one to three factors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome :) As you can tell from my twitter feed last night, I gave Global Agenda a bit of a run. My lappy was woeful for EVE and is even worse for the intensive environment of GA, but I figured out how to make it work!

    I'm MaraRinn ingame, just in case we ever cross paths. I'll be the time-retarded healer who never quite gets heals in fast enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a level 31 Medic running around and I'd like to add something to your guide that I've learnt from personal experience that might be handy:

    I was a pure-healer Medic up until level 25. Once I hit Max Security missions - even with the Healing Grenade, the Healing and Protection Waves, and using my BFB at all times (literally doing 0 bot damage at the end of mission) - I simply couldn't keep up with the amount of damage we were taking. The lower difficulty missions, with fewer bots, are far more forgiving to those who see taking cover as a sign of weakness. But on Max Security, you're going to come across a lot of Assault guys who have clearly watched the film "300" far too many times and have developed a burning desire to die in a blaze of glory.

    I swapped out the Healing and the Protection Waves for the Poison and the PowerVirus Grenades. I had no intention of doing any real damage with these things, but the wonderful thing about poisoning in PvE is that poisoned Minion Androids and Alarm Responders will simply crouch in place once they go under 50% health. Since they're no longer shooting my team mates, my job as a Medic is made infinitely easier!

    I'm still using my BFB nearly 100% of the time, the only difference in the way I play now is that I'll fling a grenade into the room we're about to enter before praying that I haven't been randomly teamed up with a bunch of wannabe Spartans. Am I flirting dangerously close with the infamous Poison Medic build? Maybe. But my job as a Medic is to keep team mates alive; provided I get the end result done, and done even better than before, does the method I use to achieve it really matter? =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's working for you and you like it, more power to you. ;-) Still, sounds like you're over-compensating for bad Assaults and bad Robos. Power isn't a problem as long as your would-be Spartan does his heroics where you can stand near a Power Station. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [TL;DR summary at the bottom]

    Following up from my previous comment (back on July 13, 2011 6:43 AM) I've since gone full Poison Medic with huge success. My PvE win rate has gone from just under 60% to 74% and still climbing (recent form over the last 100 or so PvE missions is easily over 90% win rate) and pretty much every successful mission is completed with the bonus. I play a *lot* more aggressively, which I'm finding is the key to successful SpecOps PvE missions as a Medic.

    Since a Poison Medic is an AOE character, I regularly get top kills in the team despite the SMG only ever coming out during the boss. I'm still BFBing nearly 100% of the mission but, with three grenades on cycle and my build focusing primarily on reducing the cooldown, I'm able to fling a grenade every 12-13 seconds. That's a lot offensive capability without having to ever stop healing my team mates. That's also a lot of bots crouching in place, not shooting at said team mates, which directly ties in with why the vast majority of my missions result in a bonus - less than 4 team deaths - despite my non-Healer build.

    Having cultivated a reputation of being able to deal my fair share of damage and kills while simultaneously doing a damn fine job of keeping everyone alive, I'm now in the happy (and ego-stroking) position of seeing a team invite immediately pop up on my screen nearly every time I log in game. =]

    One possible negative from this style of play is it's no longer a case of "All in all, the Medic is a rather soothing class to play." You'll be leading the charge, keeping an eye on your cooldowns, actively watching out for Scanners, dodging fire from the front line, making sure every bot in the area is taking DoT *AND* working your arse off to ensure your team mates are fit and healthy. In the boss fight, it will be your responsibility to deal with the ads so that the rest of your team can focus on taking down the boss without distractions.
    It's a high pressure, always hectic and extremely frantic job. Obviously, this style of play isn't for everyone, but I find the feeling of having worked my arse off for a job well done *hugely* rewarding compared to any other class and any other build. I haven't touched the other classes for a long time simply because they don't have that same sense of pressure, and the need to shift priorities and adapt to what's going on around you, that a Poison Medic has.
    For the most part, Tanks tank, Robos build nests and Recons snipe. But Poison Medics have to be perpetually dynamic, are responsible for so much more, and are capable of making a poor team a successful one more than any other class and build I have ever played.

    The other negative is that you can complete missions far more quickly so you don't get as many tokens per mission (since tokens are rewarded per minute spent in a mission). With queue times to consider, you can't simply make up for this by playing more missions. Also, by the time you get that third grenade, you'll be at least level 42 so not even the experience gain is that important any more.

    On a happier note: I've also found a new method of dealing with bad Assaults, and far more effective too: I simply say over VOIP "You keep playing like that and you're not getting any more heals." They cut it out pretty quickly when they call my bluff and suddenly find themselves in the position of only getting healed between firefights. I still have no joy with bad Robos, though; I hope that some day HiRez add in friendly fire vs. allied turrets so that I can save our team from being destroyed by the Think Tank boss. =P

    Hopefully that's of use to someone out there. =]

    TL;DR summary:
    1) Poison Medics are *WAY* overpowered in SpecOps PvE;
    2) To play a Poison Medic is far, far more hectic than a Healer Medic or possibly any other class/build.
    3) Healing can be used to blackmail bad players into being better players.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With your build, I must say that switching to Agonizer instead of Euthanizer is actually a better idea. With what you said up there about how you will typically always be healing and very rarely giving out damage, grabbing an Agonizer and popping a DoT on any nearby enemy, then switching back to healing is a definite plus. Also, hitting an Assassin with the Agonizer is nice, especially when your assault (for whatever reason) doesn't see it coming, then he can't stealth and disappear from sight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heres my wonder team
    Me the magmalance destroyer
    A premier Meleecon with his trusty assasin bladeà
    The posion medic himself, who probably has a broken "3" key
    And of course, the Drone-Wall-Rawket lovable dumbass robo

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Relaxing?" I wish I had that kind of play experience myself. My mission groups are absolutely filled with Assaults that refuse to tank or push and suicide Recons and Robotics that refuse to put any effort into avoiding damage and seem to think running ahead of the Assault is a good idea. My only option is either to absolutely stress myself out keeping the whole group alive or prioritize, let people die, lose the mission bonus and endure the wrath of the team. I love playing medic in most games, and I really love the medic when I actually get a competent mission group, but when no one knows how to tank or not draw threat it makes it a very stressful and very unenjoyable role.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice build but would like to add a little kick for dam in solo any advice

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.