Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, September 9, 2011

Versatility

It's funny to me how few EVE players get this.

I own one Vulture.  I own one Claymore.  I own one Nightmare, and one Machariel.  I own one Rokh.  For a lot of other really specialized ships too, that's it: I own one of them.

Sure, I have two or three of each Logistics ship I fly.  I have a trio of Rapiers, a pair of Pilgrims, two or three Vagabonds, a half-dozen Ranises, three or four Drams, three Viators, six or eight Canes, at least a dozen bombers and CovOps of various types... the list goes on.  If it's not particularly specialized or if I expect to lose it, I buy spares and I stash them around the systems where I live.

But if it's specialized and expensive, I buy one.  If it's specialized and cheaper, I might buy two or three.  But if the ship itself is specialized, I rig it to be versatile.  Even if I lose a minor advantage here and there from more specialized rigging, I don't mind because then I don't have to keep track of what's what.  Then I'll load a Small or Medium Secure Container into that ship with the mods I need to fit that ship in a few different ways.

All my Basis are rigged the same and have the same low slots, for instance.  If I need something different for my Basi, I bring up my set of fits, find the one I want, unload the can with the extra mods, hit the "Fit" button for the new fitting I want, and I'm there.  I like my ships to be versatile.

Which often makes Strategic Cruisers my favorite ships in the game, because versatility is their middle name.

The other day, I decided that I wanted to build a Tengu with six active gang links for Ripard, who has near-maximum Leadership skills.  I have a Vulture fit that can run seven simultaneously, but Tengus are smaller and I wanted to use the same Tengu for PvE occasionally, too.  Everyone I talked to agreed that a six gang link Tengu was a very easy ship to build... until I told them that I wanted to build it without the fit requiring specialized rigs to make it work.  Then everyone I talked to agreed that what I wanted to do would be difficult or impossible.  When I told people "I don't want this Tengu just for this; I want the ship to be able to do other things, too", a lot of them didn't get why I would want that.

EVE is a world in which a lot of people forget that you can change what a ship can do by refitting it.  ;-)  Talk about not being able to think outside the box!

So, here's a weekend challenge for you EFT warriors out there.  I was eventually successful in coming up with a Tengu fit that can run six gang links at once.  Can you do the same?  Remember: you can't fit any rigs!  Don't use any faction or officer mods, and I'll give you one hint: Ripard has a 3% CPU implant permanently mounted in his head.

The answer will be the Fit of the Week on Monday.

9 comments:

  1. [Tengu, Command]

    Tengu Defensive - Warfare Processor
    Tengu Electronics - CPU Efficiency Gate
    Tengu Engineering - Supplemental Coolant Injector
    Tengu Offensive - Magnetic Infusion Basin
    Tengu Propulsion - Intercalated Nanofibers

    Siege Warfare Link - Active Shielding
    Siege Warfare Link - Shield Efficiency
    Siege Warfare Link - Shield Harmonizing
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Evasive Maneuvers
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Interdiction Maneuvers
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Rapid Deployment

    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I

    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II

    [Empty Rig slot]
    [Empty Rig slot]
    [Empty Rig slot]


    You don't need the implant Jester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Tressor got the fit right, but I'll delay posting it for a day or two so that others can try it if they want. ;-)

    Did you have the fit already, or did you fight it out with EFT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. manage to do it
    assume all subsystem skills are L5

    warfare processor
    magnetic infusion basin
    capacitor regen matrix
    CPU eff gate
    any prop subsystem except the interdiction as you need the +1 low slot

    6 ganglink in high
    5 command processor in mid
    5 co-processor T2 in the lows

    6.9 cpu to spare
    32 PG to spare
    3% CPU implant
    ZERO rigs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is one that doesn't need the CPU implant:

    [Tengu, 6 links no rigs]
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II
    Co-Processor II

    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I
    Command Processor I

    Siege Warfare Link - Active Shielding
    Siege Warfare Link - Shield Efficiency
    Siege Warfare Link - Shield Harmonizing
    Information Warfare Link - Recon Operation
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Interdiction Maneuvers
    Skirmish Warfare Link - Evasive Maneuvers


    Tengu Defensive - Warfare Processor
    Tengu Electronics - CPU Efficiency Gate
    Tengu Engineering - Capacitor Regeneration Matrix
    Tengu Offensive - Magnetic Infusion Basin
    Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fit is actually not that uncommon, however you need near perfect skills + the implant to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used EFT for about ten minutes to come up with the fit. I like strategic cruisers because they are relatively easy to design fits for them, in addition to their versatility. Starting from a top-down perspective and making compromises as you finalize the fit works especially well. Fortunately in this case, a command ship is pretty straightforward.

    I'll be in my own tengu in about a week, needless to say I'm looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless I'm very much mistaken, you don't actually need a cpu implant to make a T2-only six-link tengu work, and implant slot 6 is (IMO) too useful to waste on fitting implants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of these that (per EFT) doesn't need the 3% CPU implant.

    Warfare proc subsystem is obvious, as is the CPU one. Any offensive subsystem gives you 5 highs; with the one high from the warfare proc, you have your 6 links. You've got the 5 mids you need for command processors from those three subsystems and any engineering/propulsion choices. Unless you have constraints beyond running 6 gang links (which is possible, but not within the problem statement), you want to then max out your lows for coprocessors (so any propulsion sub but the interdiction nullifier, and either the cap regen or supplemental coolant engineering systems). A 6/5/5 setup with those constraints, picking cheapest subsystems where it doesn't matter and filling the lows with T2 coprocs, just fits with no rigs and is cap stable.

    Since this is ridiculously easy to throw together, I have to assume that you're looking for some other utility: a cloak, or a nullifier, or a propulsion mod as well as the 6 ganglinks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.