Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fit of the Week: Utter fail

I'm going to wrap up "Hybrid month" at FOTW with a ship that is almost completely fail in every way:

[Eagle, Gotta Beep Somebody]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Power Diagnostic System II

10MN MicroWarpdrive II
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range
Invulnerability Field II
Photon Scattering Field II
Large Shield Extender II

250mm Railgun II, Spike M
250mm Railgun II, Spike M
250mm Railgun II, Spike M
250mm Railgun II, Spike M
250mm Railgun II, Spike M
Standard Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Bloodclaw Light Missile

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Ancillary Current Router I


Dear Heaven, does this ship suck.

On paper, you'd look at the bonuses the Eagle gives you and think "huh, that's not so bad", right?  It's a sniper with a strong resist tank... heywaitaminute.  It's a sniper with a strong resist tank?  Yeah... sorta.  It's reasonably clear that when the stats for the ship were being put together, someone had "Beagle" in mind: blaster Eagle.  In short, the Cerberus was likely intended as a long-range missile thrower whereas the Eagle was intended as a shield version of the Deimos.  And in that configuration, there's an argument to be made for the boat, since it does 400 DPS, about the same as a Vagabond, and it has a stronger tank thanks to the resists.

Unfortunately, the Vagabond goes quite literally twice as fast as the Eagle and has a drone bay, so Beagles never got any traction.  The standard Beagle fitting currently relies on an ACR rig and usually on a PDS2 as well.  With the grid requirements for Heavy Neutron blasters going down by 20% or so, that ACR should soon no longer be required.  It'll be quite interesting to see if the Beagle gets a new lease on life, perhaps in a dual-Polycarb rig/Overdrive Injector configuration.  I'm not counting on it, though.  That same 20% grid buff is going to do wonderful things for the blaster Deimos.  We're gonna see some wicked web/neut/heavy tank Deimos fits in a couple of months.  I've already bought my first Deimos hull in preparation.

So, OK, maybe the rail Eagle was the intent of the designer.  That's why there's no drone bay: it doesn't need one because it's going to stand off a good ways and snipe.  Right?  Right?

Maybe.  I doubt it.  But maybe.  And certainly not now.  After December, the sniper Eagle is done, done, done.  In a couple of months, there will literally not be any reason, whatsoever, to undock in a sniper Eagle.  A sniper Catalyst will have a good chance of out-damaging an Eagle with all the buffs destroyers are getting.

And that's just sad.

I compared the Eagle to a similarly-configured Muninn in a post ten days ago, so I'm not going to do it again.  Instead, I'll just lay down the pathetic stats: 170 DPS at 136+14km.  37k EHP tank.  1350 m/s.  No drone bay.  A utility high that you can put a Standard Missile Launcher or Small Neut into.  Dual Ancillaries are needed today.  In a couple of months, they can be removed.  But the only thing that will help is either further increasing the tank (at the cost of blowing up its sig even more and making it Oracle meat), or maybe extending the locking and firing range a bit.  DPS will also increase thanks to the rail damage buff... to a whole 187.

As the target closes range, you can switch to Caldari Navy Antimatter.  That'll get you close to 300 DPS (330 this winter), but hell, a Drake can do that, at one-fifth the cost, longer range, and with many fewer skill points needed.

Funny, true story: there was a stretch of almost a year there where the Eagle's description didn't have the ship's class name in it.  I reported it as a bug, the bug was acknowledged as valid, and a half-dozen patches large and small went into the game before anyone bothered to change this little bit of text field.  Guess the devs figured that nobody else would notice.  ;-)

I own an Eagle hull to this day: it was the only sniper hull I could fly back when fast shield snipers were popular.  But I haven't undocked in it in two years.  This ship sucks, and winter isn't gonna help.  To be even somewhat even close to worth considering, the Eagle needs CCP to put a 280mm Railgun mod into the game and add a sixth turret slot.

Whew!  So much for "hybrid month."  Too many Caldari and Gallente ships lately.  It'll be nice to get back to the other races for a while.  I haven't done a pirate faction ship in a long time.  But that'll be the second week of November.  The dice roll for next week's FOTW came up "Amarr/PvE".

8 comments:

  1. Can you be more specific, H?

    And actually, yes, I do have some dice. But I was being facetious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, damage aside an Eagle with a glass cannon setup can do damage at 250 kilometers, which I found at times very helpful when grid was 200 kilometers. It was very handy for taking down those support ships, since Battleships at the time (the age of sniper BSes early 2007 to late 2007) couldn't shoot them thus the Eagle was invaluable in that aspect.

    Not beleaguer Jester's point that currently the Eagle can be used in very very few situations, as I already pointed out small grids can make the extreme range of thing quite handy or taking out fighters by shooting them from long range.

    The Teagle is very interesting setup, I somewhat fathered it, it's pretty much that a Beagle fitted with a full armor tank, with it's blasters removed and replaced with autocannons. Rigs wise it has trimarks, and the mids is one afterburner, one microwarpdrive, and 3 sensor dampeners. It works surprisingly well against low sec campers, and small gang fleets. Not saying you should try it, but I like to make weird setups that trip people up.

    P.S. Who would think some who bait a eagle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 days ago, a corp mate mentioned your blog and mentioned you ha really good insights.

    4 days, and zero contract work to do, and I've read every single one of your blogs. Very well thought out, and the backtrack links for some of the CCP vs CSM discussions where I would skip pre July content was invaluable to fully understand everything.

    I'm not exactly sure why I keep playing the game myself, but I suppose I'm a bit of a bittervet myself I just haven't gone wandering the stars yet.

    I believe you mentioned you have your own channel or similar, can anyone join that to chat with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god please not a Paladin, I was hoping for an Abaddon fit. Please Jester? PLEASE? :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.