Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Point of order

Hee!  I need to stop saying that this or that ship is not particularly good at PvP.  Every time I do it, I'm descended upon by scores of EVE players that tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, and the ship in question is great at PvP.

I don't mind this at all.  Keep it up!  I love learning what EVE ships can do.

I will, however, make one thing pretty clear.  I cheerfully admit that my small-gang experience is somewhat out of date.  I was unsubbed from EVE for a while, and before that, I was mostly in large fleets.  My California TZ is not particularly friendly to small gang EVE play.

It's absolutely no coincidence that what I'm looking for in my next corp is a heavy-duty small gang corp.  Hopefully I can find one that's at least somewhat friendly to my TZ.  Small gang PvP was my first love in EVE, and it hurts me to know that I'm so far behind what's going on out there right now.  In the meantime, though, I think I'll keep my opinions of what ships are bad for small gang PvP to myself until I've got more recent experience at it.  ;-)

So, Myrm-lovers, please accept my apologies.  Hand slap accepted.  I deserved it.

10 comments:

  1. I'd say you should look into a Rote Kapelle corp but I think STIM is closed for recruitment right now, other RK member corps might be open for recruitment though. Not sure who else out there in our TZ is doing small-gang pvp, perhaps GROON who live by us in Syndicate or someone down in Curse... not sure if you want small gang pvp in null or lowsec. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fit that you probably weren't aware of:

    [Nano-Arty Cane, Hurricane]
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II
    Overdrive Injector System II
    Overdrive Injector System II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Tracking Enhancer II

    Y-T8 MWD
    Large Shield Extender II
    Invulnerability Field II
    Warp Disruptor II

    720mm Howitzer II
    720mm Howitzer II
    720mm Howitzer II
    720mm Howitzer II
    720mm Howitzer II
    720mm Howitzer II
    Small Proton Smartbomb II
    Small Proton Smartbomb II

    Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
    Medium Ancillary Current Router I
    Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

    Hornet EC-300x5

    This fit is the Anti-Hac Hurricane. It does almost over 1800m/s normally. Overheat and it does 2.6km/s, enough to keep pace with that frisky Vagabond or Cynabal or Zealot or Omen.

    Run it in a small gang and have one of your copilots use 650 IIs instead of 720s, and run the rapid deployment warfare link, your speed cranks up to 2000m/s normal, 3000m/s overheat.

    The DPS is fairly substantial, not quite as good as with the standard autocannon hurricane. But the real benefit is flying two or three of these puppies. The alpha alone drops a vagabond in 2 volleys from 3 canes. One volley for the shields, one volley for the rest of the ship. Only the most skilled vagabond pilots escape from this ship. Typically it's too late for them even, as you burn your MWD immediately hit approach on that fast cruiser that is kiting you, force their transversal to nothing and hit them with the full force of your artillery.

    I wouldn't recommend this as a fleet doctrine by any stretch of the imagination. But it works perfectly well in a small gang ship doctrine when everyone and their mother expects either that armor-tanked arty cane or the AC/Neut cane (or the whelpfleet version of the AC/Neut Cane)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contact me in-game if you're interested in anti-piracy, my character is Szilardis. Heavy small gang work across all USTZs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corelin waves a fancy hat enticingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in Seattle and many of our small (3-10) person gangs are from the west coast or early australia tz. We live in syndicate, we fight agony all the time...email me for more info or hit up doctor garamond trebuchet in game or rickypedia on #tweetfleet I'll be in a myrm or cane, vexor or thrasher :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @All: I usually get on EVE around 0230 or 0300. I'm usually on for several hours.

    @Dannar: Yep, quite familiar with a good Arti-Cane. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking you and some old corpmates (I'm thinking of one other X-SG member for sure) could run a pretty good small gangPVP/PVE corp. Why join others? Start your own! What better recruitment tool than this blog. You could be very select, but not to select cause I want in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Us guys in Space Monkeys Alliance do small roams pretty frequently, plus we have good space for the carebears and the indy's, so you can always come chill with us. 90% of our guys are USTZ, so you'll fit right in. http://www.eve-sma.com/kb/?a=kill_related&kll_id=26302 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consider Agony Unleashed. They've got a pretty good size US Pacific TZ group.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.