CCP has released not one but two major devblogs this morning.
The first is a heartfelt letter from Hilmar Pétursson, CCP's CEO. It represents nothing short of the CEO of a company falling on his sword.
The second is much shorter, but is basically a love-letter from CCP Zulu to EVE's long-time players, telling them they're going to get nearly everything they want.
I want to take some time to read and reread these pieces before I try to produce intelligent commentary on them, but here are my immediate first impressions:
- The CEO letter is beautifully written. I don't think I've ever read anything more beautifully written come out of CCP. Either CCP has hired a professional speech-writer, or some other communications professional has made him- or herself known inside CCP. More importantly, Hilmar actually sat that person down and listened to what he or she had to say.
- The word "establishment" appears only once between the two devblogs, only in Hilmar's letter, and is not capitalized when it does.
- Therefore, my prediction from yesterday appears to be true from start to finish. Go me.
- CCP is not giving up its dream of a "total sci-fi simulator", nor its dream of a order of magnitude increase in its player-base. It's just putting off both dreams for a while.
- Hilmar quote: "Let me be blunt: Unless the MMO business changes radically, our virtual goods strategy for EVE Online will remain limited in scope and focus on vanity items..." Emphasis mine. More small print appears.
- Second Hilmar quote: "We would have been much better off positioning Incarna as an optional technology preview that interested players could have experienced and helped us to refine." TeaDaze will be pleased to hear that, as this was something he screamed repeatedly and loudly last year.
- Third Hilmar quote: "We’ve been trying to expand the EVE universe in several directions at once..." I've got a blog entry referencing B5 coming, and this quote made me think of a Londo Mollari quote: "Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."
- The wish-list in Zulu's blog is amazing. It's too amazing. It's only 11 weeks or so to Christmas. CCP needs to scale down its ambitions a bit.
- In particular, "Factional warfare" just needs to be removed from that list. Changes to FW are something that's going to require a lot of study and consideration. It can't be rushed out.
That's all for now. I'll have more to say later in the week.