Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Fit of the Week: Cheap, fast gas mining

As promised, let's talk about gas harvesting, particularly in wormholes.  Here is one of two Moa fits that I would use for this job:

[Moa, Gas Cloud Defense]
Warded Gravimetric Backup Cluster I
Warded Gravimetric Backup Cluster I
Expanded Cargohold II
Co-Processor II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
Eutectic I Capacitor Charge Array
Conjunctive Gravimetric ECCM Scanning Array I
10MN Afterburner II

Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Medium Cargohold Optimization I
Medium Cargohold Optimization I
Medium Cargohold Optimization I

Hornet EC-300 x3


This fit has four big advantages for gas-mining: it's cheap, it's fast, it's agile, and it's cloaky.  And it's quite good at the job at hand, which is to harvest gas as quickly as possible.  As I mentioned in the KOTW last week, a gas mining ship pretty much must mount five Gas Cloud Harvester IIs to make gas mining worthwhile, requiring Gas Cloud Harvesting V skill.  At Level 5 in this skill, you gain both the ability to use the T2 harvesters and the ability to use five of them.  At Level 4, your "yield" as measured in EFT will be 20m3 per T1 harvester per minute, or a maximum of 80m3 per minute.  The yield for the T2 harvesters is 50% greater, and if you use five of them, the maximum becomes 150m3 per minute... almost double.

So yeah, if you don't have Gas Cloud Harvesting V, your gas mining experience will be painfully slow.

In wormhole gas sites, there are typically two gas pockets placed 80 kilometers or so apart.  A lot of guys warp out of the site when they finish one pocket, then warp back to the other one.  I wouldn't bother.  A MWD on a cruiser makes the run from one pocket to the other only about a minute long, and having the MWD made escape and evasion easier.  For similar reasons, I also fit an AB on my gas mining ship: dual-prop is a hallmark of escape and evasion ships.  If the ship that drops on you is a battle cruiser or battleship, an overheated AB might just let you squeak out of point range before you die.  It's a small chance, but that's better than no chance.  The cloak is also a pretty typical escape and evasion mod to fit, and I found it quite useful both against potential gankers and against Sleepers.  I'd typically warp into a new site and go ahead and start mining for 15 minutes or so.  The Sleeper spawn in gas sites typically appears at the 20 minute mark after you start mining.  If you mis-judge the time (and I did, a time or two), a quick pulse of the MWD or AB to get out of range of the gas pocket followed by cloaking would give you time to set up your warp-off.

Three ECCM mods are there for one reason and one reason only: while you're gas mining in a wormhole, you'll want to spend most of your time spamming your directional scanner, looking for ships and probes.  Three ECCM mods on this ship didn't quite make you unprobable in the old days before this mechanic was nerfed, but it made you damned hard to probe down, particularly if you were overheating the mid-slot ECCM.  Gas sites are pretty hard to probe down; usually, it was easier to probe down the ship that was mining, rather than the gas site itself.  Having ECCM on board made that a painful process for the potential ganker.

Everything else on the ship is about cargo, and I found that this fit gave enough cargo room for three cycles on the gas miner.  My Myrmidon could hold a lot more, but in the end, I was going to have to bring in a cloaky hauler to take out the gas anyway, so I found the Moa's cargo room more than sufficient.

Later in my wormhole career, as the holes become more populated, I found that people started pre-scanning the gas sites and bookmarking the gas pockets, then waiting for someone to come along and try to mine them.  When that started happening, I started moving more toward this sort of fit:


[Moa, Gas Cloud Offense]
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Expanded Cargohold II
Co-Processor II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
Eutectic I Capacitor Charge Array
ECM Burst II
10MN Afterburner II

Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Gas Cloud Harvester II
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I
Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I
Medium Cargohold Optimization I

Hornet EC-300 x3


The similarities and differences will be apparent.  The main difference is an ECM Burst module, plus rigs to support its range.  I got jumped in a couple of gas sites late in my wormhole career after I started using this fit.  There was no prior warning on directional, so I presume that in both cases, the ganker pre-scanned the site I was in.  In both cases, I charged toward the gankee on overheated Afterburners, launched and engaged ECM drones, waited to get within 10km, aligned off, then triggered the ECM Burst.  In both cases, the potential ganker was momentarily jammed and I warped off, leaving the drones behind.  ;-)  I left wormhole space a few days after the second gank attempt.

As a result, I've never lost a gas mining ship and I still have this Moa today, almost two years later, and it's currently fit in the second configuration.  Still, I consider both fittings quite useful for different things.  If you have a home wormhole that you're reasonably sure hasn't been pre-scanned and stick to gas mining there, I'd use the first fit.  If you frequently venture out of your home hole into neighboring ones, I'd probably use the second.

Happy gas mining!

5 comments:

  1. I prefer the ECM burst, though never thought of rigging for it. I usually put a couple stabs in the lows as like you said there's generally a hauler about so you only need enough cargo for a couple cycles. The cloak is valid, though I have a probe launcher instead, just in case we're running without pickets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found both of your fits and explainations really helpful, keeep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. probing a ship may be relatively easier than probing a ladar site
    that said, ladar sites are much easier to probe than radar/mag sites

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. Good information clearly presented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fit will need an update since the Moa slot arrangement has changed since I posted it. In particular, the Moa no longer has a utility high for a cloak.

      As a result, I'd probably go with this:
      [Moa, New Moa Gas]
      Expanded Cargohold II
      Expanded Cargohold II
      Expanded Cargohold II
      Co-Processor II

      Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
      10MN Afterburner II
      ECM Burst II
      Cap Recharger II
      Large Shield Extender II

      Gas Cloud Harvester II
      Gas Cloud Harvester II
      Gas Cloud Harvester II
      Gas Cloud Harvester II
      Gas Cloud Harvester II

      Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I
      Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I
      Medium Cargohold Optimization I

      Hornet EC-300 x3


      Adding an LSE adds a small amount of buffer that might be what keeps you alive as you burn away from a gank attempt...

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.