Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, November 14, 2011

Under construction

A few of you might find this of interest.  At any given moment, I have four or five blog posts being written, or that are finished and going through editing.  Writing is often less about writing and more about re-writing.  In my experience, good writing can be summed up as "write once, re-write three times".  Particularly on my "tent-pole" posts, I'll write them two or three days before I actually publish them.  Then I'll review them every morning, tightening language, looking at the flow, looking for grammar and spelling mistakes, et cetera.

I can't do this with "breaking news" style posts -- those obviously have to be more timely. But my more analytical posts always follow this pattern.

Over the course of writing longer posts, I'll make notes in a little text file I have called "In process" that covers points I want to make.  Most blog posts start their lives in the "In process" file as an outline of points for that post.  However, if I find those points don't quite fit into the blog post I'm writing, I'll file them away deeper into "In process" on the off-chance that they'll fit better with a later blog post.

I've been going through and cleaning up my "In process" file this weekend, clearing out a lot of junk that is no longer relevant.  Still, one piece of junk glitters prettily, so I thought I'd share.  This is part of my notes regarding the CSM May Summit Minutes, which were released in July.  I was going to write a whole tent-pole post about those minutes, but over time, most of the points got folded out into smaller blog posts, leaving what's below that I never got around to writing about.  And by the time I started writing the longer post, these points became... well, just read them.  Trust me, in August, everything below made total sense.  ;-)
CCP doesn't see Team BFF/Little Things as a continuous improvement effort, but as a team that can be applied to their own work streams like any other team.  This is a bad thing.

Winter expansion will actually be handled as Incursions expansion was, with several moderately-sized expansions leading to a bigger implementation expansion.  This is a good thing.  Topics will be:
  • Incarna "Establishments"
  • Sovereignty iteration
  • Tweaks to super-caps
That is not so good.  There should be room for a lot of ship balancing between now and then.  And if we go a whole year without new in-space features, players are going to freak out.

The link between EVE and DUST 514 is clearly still in the very early planning stages.  This surprises me quite a bit.  I thought it was further along.

Everyone agrees that low-sec is broken.  So let's go fix null-sec.  >.<
Like I said, in August, these notes made total sense.  Other than the EVE/DUST link (which is clearly still in the early planning stages), it's funny how far we've come in only three months, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Lolsex/FW still broken. Nullsec revamp still a priority.
    IRL equivalents: Car dies, you take it to a mechanic, he says: "Well, ya blew a headgasket...lemme replace that transmission for ya."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.