Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, December 7, 2011


First, thanks for all the kind words about the new Overheating Guide published yesterday. :-) Be advised that I will be editing that post to be more technically and factually correct, taking those comments into account. It's a downside to publishing guides on this kind of blogging website. Blogs are supposed to be date-specific, not topic-specific. I could post the Overheating Guide on a wiki... but I don't feel like maintaining a wiki. ;-)

Second, just a reminder: I publish a ton of guides. You can look at every guide-related post by looking at posts under the "EVE Guides" label. Here's an overall look at all the EVE player guides I've written this year.

Single Topic Guides

Basic Decloaking: how to decloak a cloaky ship after it jumps into your gate-camp

Data Centers: what are data centers and when should you visit them?

Incursion Tagging: how to follow tags in an incursion fleet, and how to tag rats yourself

Overheating: how and why to overheat modules, optimizing the use of overheating

PvP Voice Communications: EVE battle language

Quick and Dirty Tacticals: how and why to create a library of warp-in bookmarks

Utility High Slots: what should you fit in the unused high slots of your ship?

Warp Drive: how you enter warp drive, how to prevent others from doing so

Multi-part Guides

Incursions, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4: How to get involved in EVE's best source of PvE income

Moving to Null-Sec, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3: Once you've decided to move from high-sec to null, how do you go about it? What should you watch out for?

Solo Level 4 Missioning, Part 1, Part 2: How to fit a ship to run L4 missions solo

PvP Class Notes

PvP 101: Fundamentals: some notes about the fundamentals of EVE PvP

PvP 102: Fleet Scouting: notes about how to scout for a PvP fleet and what types of ships are good at it

PvP 103: Electronic Warfare: notes about the use of the various types of e-war in EVE

I may or may not get around to "Moving to Null-Sec, Part 4" before the end of the month, but it's definitely a planned guide for the future. I will also definitely get around to the long-promised "Solo L4 Missioning, Part 3" guide sometime before the end of January.

Other guides that I currently have planned for 2012 include:
  • Carrier-supported ratting
  • Carrier PvP
  • Projectile ammo
  • Implants
It's also likely that I'm going to scrap the current PvP 101, 102, and 103 guides and rewrite them into a little more friendly format consistent with my other guides. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what Azual Skoll and the rest of AGONY do with their new video PvP classes.

Have other suggestions for guides? Let me know! In the meantime, I hope all the guides I've written this year have been helpful. :-)


  1. Just want to say that your guides are great, and not only do a good job of explaining the different aspects of EVE, but also motivate me to give them a try now that the 'barrier of entry' has been lowered.

    You do a great service to the game with these. /hat-tip

  2. You know, if you don't like maintaining a wiki, you could just contribute to someone else's, say the EVElopedia? :)

    There will be other people fretting over the details and performing the maintenance for you, never you fear!

  3. I would also point to the E-UNI wiki. The article in question certainly could use the improvement.


  4. "Other guides that I currently have planned for 2012 include:

    * Projectile ammo"

    I can't wait for this one!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.