Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

FOTW: Mission Support Dominix

I'm going to go with something that's just goofy for my FOTW this week:

[Dominix, Mission Support]
Damage Control II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Large Armor Repairer II
Large Armor Repairer II
Co-Processor II

Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 400

Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
Medium Remote Armor Repair System II
Small Remote Hull Repair System I /OFFLINE
280mm Prototype Siege Cannon, EMP S
Drone Link Augmentor II

Large Sentry Damage Augmentor I
Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I
Large Semiconductor Memory Cell I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Garde II x5
Heavy Shield Maintenance Bot I x5


Eventually, almost every long-term EVE player gets themselves a support character.  And whether this support character does science, mining, industry, trade, or manufacturing, chances are two things are true:
  • this character probably doesn't have a lot of combat skills; and,
  • they aren't going to be getting them anytime soon.
But, if your definition of support character also includes "carrier pilot" and has the drone skills to back that up, there's a way to make that character useful in high-sec, too.  It's everyone's favorite upside-down running shoe ship, the Dominix.

While soloing L4s can be a little nerve-wracking at times, dual-boxing L4 missions is a relatively easy and low-risk way of building up ISK for newer players.  But if your second account doesn't have a character that can add DPS in the traditional way, a support Dominix is an amusing alternative.  Most of the skills required for this fit are easy trains -- in particular, until the support character can use T2 Sentries, T1s are fine.  Ditto the three new T2 drone upgrade modules, which can be replaced with their T1 versions.  This is just an end state fit.

Once in this end-state, the support character can add up to 500 DPS to an L4 mission pair, can tank new spawns with no problems, and can even provide reps to the primary character.  This allows your primary shield DPS ship (a Nightmare or a Machariel, say) to refit mids to include more Tracking Computers, Target Painters, or more resists, and go without a self-rep capability.  Instead, the primary DPS ship just orbits the Dominix which provides reps as needed from the two shield transfers it carries.  Supporting an armor main ship is such as a Paladin or Apoc Navy Issue even easier: replace the Medium Armor repper and the shield reppers with a trio of Large Armor reppers.  Or you can replace one or more reppers with Energy Transfers if you want to go that route instead and set up a mini cap-chain for those cap-hungry laser boats.

In short, this ship allows your support character to both be useful in and gain the standing benefit from running L4s right alongside your main without having to train any gunnery or missile skills whatsoever.  Cute, right?

DPS is provided by either launched sentries (assist them to your main for the greatest effect), or the support Domi can just clear frigs and cruisers with lighter drones.  Shield rep drones are included in case of an emergency.  There's 50m3 of drone space left... fill that in with whatever you like, but the smart move is extra light drones for your main in case of losses.  The support character can deploy these replacement drones, then abandon them for the main to pick up.  Fit this way, the sentries have an optimal range of 48km or so, or light frigate-clearing drones have a long range.

A strong active armor tank is part of the package, and the explosive hardener can be replaced with something mission-specific if you like.  The additional remote armor repper and off-lined hull repper are primarily for repairing drone damage, but can be replaced with other support modules to taste.  The small gun is for drawing aggro before deploying drones if you want to use this Dominix as the initial tank.  Finally, the cap booster provides a little bit of insurance to make sure the local or remote reppers can continue operating in an emergency.  The Domi has plenty of cargo space for cap booster charges.  The strong active tank on this Domi will allow you to go full glass cannon with your main.  Warp the Domi in first, draw aggro with the gun, launch the Sentries, bring in the main DPS ship, assist the Sentries to your main, profit.  You'll be amazed how fast mission rats melt.

It's a cute concept, very cheap, low effort, easy to train a support character into, and surprisingly effective!  If you're looking for a way to boost missioning income but don't want to devote a main combat character to it, give this idea a shot.

Happy missioning!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

7 comments:

  1. I do something similar, with a triple omnilink ishtar supporting a tengu. it doesn't tank or even provide reps, but the natural tank of the tengu is good enough that it doesn't need it. i wonder if i'd gain more by going to this setup and swapping some tengu tank for target painters? hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my Domis I use heavy drones rather than sentries. Sentries are weaker damage and very annoying if you need to move.

    Did you consider using Ogre IIs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Ogre IIs are OK. But they're the longer train, less generally useful, and slow. Sentries also do better damage if you use a Sentry Damage rig, as this Domi fit does.

      But if you prefer Ogres, go with 'em.

      Delete
    2. I tend to not pay attention when using my Domi so my rigs are for cap to run the permatank. Plus I like to slowboat around.

      Still one plays to try new things so I might give sentries another go. In addition to the rigs you fit a second omni where I'd put the speed drone upgrade so that's another point in the sentries' favour.

      Delete
  3. It occurs to me that you have done waaaaay too many missions in your time Jester. :P

    Now show us your afk mission running Domi fit. :D :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd been mucking about trying to decide what sort of combat ship to get my mining alt into lately, when I saw this. I think I've found my answer! I was originally considering getting the alt into a t2 frigate of some sort (my reasoning being that it would take less time to specialize for something) but the prereqs would take quite a long time anyway.

    I set up a skillplan for it and then whipped up a low-skill intermediate version that I can train in under 20 days and use to learn on while I wait for the other skills to catch up. I can also get the alt into a roughly similar vexor in the meantime, which I'm considering as I while I've got plenty of experience doing L4s myself I've not done any dual-box missioning so far.

    Should be fun to finally put my rusting alt to slightly more exciting use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see some discussion of remap strategies (both for mains and alts) at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.