Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, February 10, 2012

Kill of the Week: Opposites

There's only one thing that I can pick, honestly.  But before we get to what I did pick, let's get to two kills I didn't.  Here's the first:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12332943

George Talons, I don't know how you got all those implants.  I don't know if you bought them in Jita, or if you just did a enormous ton of missions and bought them all with LP.  Given your past kill-board history, it's quite likely the latter.  But it doesn't matter: you are provably a moron.  You've been a moron for a long time, and I hope people add you to their locator agents and start making a business out of killing you.  That is all.

Here's the second kill I didn't pick:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12376010

Garmon, you are a bad-ass and I salute you!  Big congrats to Darius III from BricK and the other pilots involved in killing you, but bigger congrats to you for having the stones to take this ship out and get some pew with it.  You'll always be able to say that you have more kills with an Adrestia than a lot of EVE players have kills.  EVE News 24 did an excellent job of covering this kill and how it happened in detail.  That said, I can't imagine what you were thinking ejecting with (apparently) full structure and a suitcase.  A screencap of a (living) Adrestia in deep structure on the other side of that gate would have been an immortal EVE classic.  ;-)

So, what did I pick?  The previous two kill-mails are opposites.  Here's another battle between two opposites:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12386110

This one exists not only as another EN24 story, but as a Youtube video as well.  First, I have to say I feel kinda bad for Edna 86.  He's clearly a new pilot, and inexperienced.  Even an experienced pilot doesn't expect to be can-flipped by a hauler of all things.  Still, one of the bedrock rules of EVE is that you don't risk your money-maker: don't willingly put your PvE ships at risk.  If you get can-flipped and you want to attack the flipper, dock up, undock in a PvP-fit ship, and see if you can find the can-flipper in that.  Had Edna followed this very simple rule, his Mega would still be alive.

But it goes beyond that, of course: a solo armor buffer-fit PvE ship is a contradiction in terms.  Passive shield fits for PvE are OK if you know what you're doing, and a buffer fit can be fine as a tank for PvE if you have friends along to provide reps.  But a solo armor buffer ship for PvE?  No.  Had this Mega had some kind of active fit, it'd still be alive.  Hell, had this Mega been carrying a remote armor repper in a high slot or rep drones (to keep one of its Ogres repped), it'd probably still be alive.  This is why PvE ships should carry some means of repping armor for deployed drones.

So, the fault for the loss here needs to go to Edna.

That said, HulkUp does some excellent work here, too.  Let's look at his fit:

[Iteron Mark V, Pew LOL]
Small Armor Repairer II
Small Armor Repairer II
Small Armor Repairer II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

10MN Afterburner II
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

Light Neutron Blaster II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
5W Infectious Power System Malfunction

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I


The cornerstone of this fit are the three reppers and the dual cap boosters, which provide burst rep of about 190 DPS in the hands of a good pilot.  The small cap boosters will only hold a single 400 cap charge each, but of course the Iteron V has an enormous cargo bay for holding additional charges.  But the reload time for those charges has to be considered, since the reppers will quickly drain the Itty's cap.  As a result, any kind of PvP ship above a T1 frig will take this Iteron apart in short order.  But of course, it's not going after PvP ships, is it?  I doubt very much HulkUp can-flips missile ships, or even turret ships with visible Tracking Computer effects.  It's strictly built to get in very close to a rail/beam/arty-fit PvE ship and try to stay under its guns.  Once that's done, the single blaster can be used to cut the target's drones out of the sky, then go after the host ship itself.

As a result, this is a ship where you have to pick your targets very carefully: primarily long-range PvE ships piloted by very new EVE players.  An alt with a Ship Scanner wouldn't be a bad idea as well.  And a lot of time will be involved.

This kill, after all, took 45 minutes: from 15:31 to 16:16.  Still, it's an excellent kill in this week's battle of opposites!  Nice job to HulkUp for providing it.  ;-)

EDIT (10/Feb/12): For the curious, here is the Cockroach kill this week:
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12405684

As I understand it, the two players involved spotted this ship decloaked but at a safe in this system, probed it out, and killed it.  As you can see, an Enigma in cargo dropped!  From what I understand, a GM contacted the two players, despawned the Enigma, but gave them a PLEX each in compensation.  Amusing little kill!

16 comments:

  1. wow. you've turned into a bit of a dick. so much for the appearance of level headedness and restraint. now you're just one more asshole with a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sympathy for people who do dumb things and learn from them. The person in the top kill (who I assume you're using as evidence of my alleged asshole nature) clearly is not learning. He's doing dumb things over and over again.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I give up: what is dumb about George Talons' Drake loss?

      Delete
    3. Nevermind - just saw the blueprint (and missed some of the other comments).

      Still: not knowing the circumstances, that's a loss I would not immediately classify a 'dumb'.

      Delete
  2. I dunno, killing a pilotless Adrestia is a pretty big kill. I feel bad for the guy who couldn't turn his guns off fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding George Talons, losing a Marauder and a Raven Navy issue in low sec are both obviously dumb things to do. I was wondering if you would comment further on the Drake kill. It is a cruddy purger drake, but it seems out of place compared to the magnitude of the other losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh! Missed the blue print. Yeah, that is pretty bad.

      Delete
  4. This KOTW seems more about the uselessness of drones. Where is that drone post you were talking about a little while ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched that Adrestia pass my pod in Stain while trying to move to our deployment zone, scouted by a covops Loki. First time I've ever seen one of the rare boats besides shuttles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I guess we were a little to late to be considered....

    http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=12404589

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Amazing, the stuff you see on a carrier that doesn't have to worry about being DD'ed, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. I'm not too surprised about George Talon. I think he's actually closer to the average EVE player. A lot of people out there are just not very knowledgeable about safety procedures and fits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to say you almost got the fit right, I had only used 3x Auxiliary Nano pumps when i didn't have a spare nanobot accelerator.

    add that and the burst tank goes to about 250'ish, but you can get a lot more with the right implants/boosters/overheating, I'll let you guess which implants/boosters i use =)

    I don't limit myself to just mission runners, but I do have to pick fight wisely; There's been a few times where i was taking a dram/interceptor to the ownzone and they have had to call in friends.. should check out a few more of my iteron vids.

    This was someone's attempt to pvp in a rupture https://www.pandemic-legion.com/killboard/view_kill.php?id=480405

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response. :-)

      Yeah, I saw the Rupture kill, but I figured you saw that as a safe target either because you ship scanned it or you saw it mining. ;-)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.