Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Maid service

Just a quickie, and probably one of those things that's only interesting to me.

One of the over-looked changes to the game in Crucible was this one:
Captains Quarters visual appearance now changes depending on the security status of the system they are in. If the Captains Quarters look shiny and beautiful in high sec, they now get more dirty and worn deep in null sec.
I've been occasionally looking for evidence of this, but haven't found it.  Was it actually implemented?  Here are side-by-side shots of Ripard in a -0.01 system and one of my alts in a 0.7 system.  Maybe I just don't have access to deep enough null for the difference to show?  Guess I'll have to find a NPC station deeper in null to check.


Oh, and I don't own that coat.  I took the screenshots with Ripard on Sisi.  ;-)  Speaking of which, if you're curious about NeX clothes but don't want to buy NeX clothes, you can buy them for 100 ISK per piece on Sisi, have a look at them, then forget about them.

I was going to post that while cleaner quarters made sense in high-sec (where there are more Minmatar slaves available to do the menial work, natch), it didn't make much sense in terms of:
  • lower occupancy rates in null-sec (presumably, I get a set of quarters to myself, there, instead of sharing them with hundreds of others); and,
  • lowering newer player investment in moving to null (if you liked Incarna when you joined, why would you make it look worse as you gain more in-game experience?).
But since the change appears invisible or wasn't implemented, I guess these are non-issues.

19 comments:

  1. Still waiting:-Solo L4 Missioning Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are actually using Captain's Quarters? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I think it's safe to say that you've officially hit rock bottom and are out of things to talk about. I think it's time to shutdown and retool. Maybe scandals and animals??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number of posts labeled "Toons" on this blog: 37. I've been talking about this topic for a while. Anyone who hasn't noticed that isn't paying attention. ;-)

    That said, nope, I normally have "Load Station Environments" off on all three of my main clients, so I can't even ship spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of curiosity, which sin is greater: occasionally blogging about toons, or not being able to ship spin? ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm at a loss as to why one would even play EvE without being able to ship spin.

      Delete
    3. There's no ship spinning if you live Wormhole. No. Ship. Spinning.

      Delete
    4. Yes there is, it's more like POS spinning, or as I like to call it... ghetto ship spinning.

      Delete
  5. Implementing a design decision like that would just be dumb, immersion-breaking, unnecessary work that makes no sense in the context. What, pilots might forget they are in low sec unless they look around and see how dirty their quarters are to remind them? Okaaaaay...and their quarters get dirty because billionaire capsuleers can't afford to hire professionals or even low cost labor to keep their quarters clean across the galaxy? Yeah, right. Seriously LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is off topic. But the height of the comments had me looking at the "Upcoming MMOs" list and I noticed "Kingdoms of Amalur MMO" entry.

    As the scaled back from an MMO single player title "Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning" released yesterday, I was wondering if you were planning on trying it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep.

      http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/search/label/Kingdoms%20of%20Amalur

      Delete
  7. My thought is it relates to maintenance - if "dirty and worn" was more "damaged and old", then it would make more sense. Frontier rough and ready versus city slicker smooth.

    That said, with the schmozzle that was the WiS roll out, it's not surprising the feature got dropped under the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting moons and planets to properly orbit their planets and stars respectively would be a bigger boost for realism than how many stars their CQ room deserves in lowsec.

    The whole game needs more dynamic time-varying processes. Make truesec vary, slowly, so that the best truesec systems will be on the other side of the galaxy 2 years from now. Make the freaking moons orbit their planets, thus rendering old bookmarks obsolete every few months. Make moons contain multiple types of moon minerals whose concentration varies over time, e.g. in 6 months that tech moon you've got there is gonna be worthless. Make asteroid belts spawn randomly between the orbits of planets so that they MUST be scanned down. There's more, but this is too long already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it always struck me as a bit odd that EVE's planets don't go anywhere, but of course if the planets start moving, that has huge effects on everyone's bookmarks.

      Delete
    2. Make bookmarks relative to the closest celestial.
      Or if the bookmarks is for a POS, make the book marks relative to the POS, and make the position of the POS relative to the moon it orbits... which is relative to the planet... relative to the sun.

      They COULD do it. But by god, I would hate to be the Software engineer that has to do it.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, this would probably a programming nightmare, and I have to wonder what sort of strain it would put on the server to monitor and update all the positions.

      Delete
  9. uh...

    "Tahna RouspelFeb 8, 2012 05:40 PM
    There's no ship spinning if you live Wormhole. No. Ship. Spinning."

    Never been in a POS huh? We've lived in one for the past 8 months in a C2, all thru Incarna and such and I got to "spin" my ship all the time, and with a far far better 'view' than any old sation dock, clean or otherwise... and my 'balcony' was on the POS Tower.

    Just wish we could dock in the spike though... =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only time I've used Sisi for CQ, was to see what my WH minny dread would look like inside a station.

    Tall, very tall.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.