Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, February 20, 2012

Quote of the Week: Skill with children

This week's QOTW just made me laugh:
I could bombard you all with issues, such as the Titan blob problem which is slipping into runaway blob territory, or the repeated delays of the oft-requested 'Bookmarks on the Overview' feature. But instead I shall point you at my youtube channel where I demonstrate that I can teach a child to play Eve better than some adults, as such this skill with children should translate directly to dealing with the other CSM members and CCP devs.
So says Scott Manley, who is running for CSM7 under the character name of his 7-year-old daughter, Skye Aurorae.  I've mentioned both on the blog a couple of times before.  You really have to admire Scott's ability to apply his resources to the job.  I mean, how could you say no to a cute little girl?

Amusingly, here's what Seleene had to say when he read the above, about how skill with children would translate well to dealing with other CSM members and with CSM devs:
You sound a lot like Trebor TBH!  :-D  :-D
What, you don't agree with this opinion yourself, Seleene?  ;-)

Not much more to say about this one.  It's just something to make you smile.  If you want to read Scott's actual platform, here it is.  In my opinion, there's not much meat there to separate him from a lot of the other candidates yet, but I wish he (and Skye) luck just the same!

10 comments:

  1. A foot race selects the fastest runner and elections select people capable of winning elections. The ability to get elected to the CSM says little about ones ability to work with CCP or other council members. To quote the great H.L. Menken: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The ability to get elected to the CSM says little about ones ability to work with CCP or other council members."

      If only others shared your view, m8. Far too many people are content to just click whatever button they are told.

      Delete
    2. This guy is great just for quoting Mencken.
      I'd find the one about democracy being the misguided belief in the collective wisdom of the individual ignorance a lil better and more apt, but that's just me. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have two votes. One of them I have already decided. The other I just don't know...

    I'm looking for a candidate that's a hard defender of the sandbox concept.

    I read Kelduum's wardec proposal and think "yuck". Then I read poetic's proposal and think "Why are all these people trying to dictate how others should play the game?"

    I don't know, no candidate convinced me to praise player choices, of all player groups, above everything else. Most of them try to place themselves on a specific platform.

    Skye, maybe, but so does Trebor or the Noir dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skye may just win my vote. His video's with his daughter are fun to watch.

    And the fact that the videos don't show him smacking his kid around while screaming "gay noob lol!" does, in fact, separate him from most of the other candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a successful CSM requires more than just being able to deal with well-behaved 7-year-old girls. You also need the ability to deal with sulky 11-year-old girls, and petulant 17-year-old girls. After all, right now Skye actually thinks her dad knows what he's doing, whereas the standard operating environment of CSM is that everyone else thinks you're a clueless moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-behaved and EvE, that's two words not often seen together =)

      Delete
  5. So... did I win Quote of the week???

    I'm not sure the context of what I said was understood. What I meant was that Trebor is the oldest CSM member and must constantly feel like he's having to keep the kids in line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I mean, how could you say no to a cute little girl?"

    (O_o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cute girl never asks for sex. So its obviously other things you don't say no to.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.