Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fit of the Week: Tourney Sentinel

Let's do one more Tournament fit, this time focusing on the Verge of Collapse Sentinel:

[Sentinel, Tourney Sentinel]
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
Overdrive Injector System II

Limited 1MN MicroWarpdrive I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I, Tracking Speed Disruption Script
Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I, Tracking Speed Disruption Script

Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Small Diminishing Power System Drain I
Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Small Egress Port Maximizer I

Warrior II x4
Hornet EC-300 x4
Hornet EC-300 x4


As I've already said, I'm a big fan of this ship.  Electronic Attack Frigates are so underestimated in their capabilities, and none more than the Sentinel.  Back in October when I put together my list of "best in class" for each ship class, I chose the Sentinel as the best of the EAFs, describing it as "death in a tiny package."(1)

That said, you can't actually fly the EAFs on TQ most of the time: they're too fragile.  One volley from a HAC or other cruiser-size ship will do in an EAF.  And as fast as most cruisers lock, they're more than capable of delivering that volley.  The Sentinel suffers this problem most of all, being theoretically an armor-tanking ship with only three low slots.  And if you shield tank one?  Forget about it.  So hopefully the EAFs will be getting a buff at some point.  It's no coincidence that they are among the least-used ships in the game.

Still, in the tournament setting, the Sentinel is pretty freakin' scary, and Verge of Collapse's fit demonstrates a lot of reasons why.  The tank is non-existent, of course, and it's horribly vulnerable to being lasered into ash.  But two of these little monsters are capable of neuting out a Scimitar or Oneiros in less than 30 seconds.  And one of them can knock the tracking of a perfectly-skilled Kronos pilot from 0.067 to 0.011, or that of a perfectly-skilled Vargur pilot from 0.094 to 0.015.

It's no wonder we and Hun lost our matches against VoC.  ;-)

A small amount of DPS is provided by four light drones, but don't count on it.  I can tell you from experience those four drones can't even kill a T1 frigate by themselves.  The Sentinel is much more useful as a repository for multiple flights of Hornet ECs which can make an adversary's day a lot more annoying if he isn't paying attention.

When I get around to writing the Best in Class post for 2012, I suspect the Sentinel will continue to be my pick for best EAF.  It's an annoying little bastard to deal with, and it's likely we'll see more of them in AT11.


(1) It's interesting to me how many of the choices I made in this post I'd change today.  I think I'll do a "Best in class" post every year in October.  Note to self.


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

5 comments:

  1. Why don't people just shoot them in AT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the things are nasty-quick and are usually 65km away where few AT ships can hit them effectively. You have to send tacklers after them, tacklers that might have more important things to do (like catching the enemy logi).

      Delete
  2. I love the Sentinel too. But imho, people are giving them too much credit. Or, to be clear, they are only effective when BOTH the sentinel AND your friendly primary (the ship the TDed enemy is shooting at) work together. THIS is what VoC did very well.

    Let me explain. So a Sentinel applied tracking speed TD to a Kronos, dropping his tracking to 0.011, per above. The Kronos though has 90% webs - 2 of which (either from 1 vindi or 2x kronos) will drop a target's speed so low that 0.011 is perfectly sufficient. Thereby making the TDing useless. That is, unless the primary works very hard to get as close to 1 Kronos and move as possible. Extremely close range can still mitigate damage even at slow speed.

    But that's not what VoC did - they were smarter. They used their own 90% webs to hold 1-2 enemy DPS ships at range, say, 8-10km. Then range disrupt the enemy ship. This works IF both the Sentinel know to use range damping AND the friendly Kronos and/or tackle know to hold an enemy DPS ship at range.

    Contrast that with a Keres or Kitsune that can pretty much do his job with very little coordination with other ships.

    Point is, to get the most out of Sentinel's the whole gang has to work together - Sentinel, tackle AF, Kronos together. Which VoC executed perfectly - this is invisible to anyone not in the actual match, but ask Brent. They did it to him, perfectly, and the did it to us (Exodus) too. Huge props to them for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent observations, Calderus! Thanks very much for sharing them.

      Delete
  3. When they get around to buffing EAF's the sentinel will be a pretty fearsome opponent.

    When I fly TD boats I find optimal range scripts to be more useful. A good pilot can work to minimize transversal and negate the effects of tracking speed scripted TD's. Optimal range neuters both optimal and falloff leaving turret ships in a hard place. Especially if those turret ships happen to be 90% webbed or slower than their opponents.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.