Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, July 14, 2012

I've got an angle

Red vs. Blue beat us, 102.5 to 43.  Great fight, RvB!  We were soundly beaten.

I definitely do not want to take anything away from RvB at all.  They fought a great match.  That said, in many ways this fight was decided by this:


We're a rush/kiting team.  They're a close-range brawling team with a lot of tackle.  So these warp-ins were an absolute disaster for us.  I was running a Sleipnir (again).  But this time I don't feel all that bad about getting tackled.  What can a Sleipnir do with six premiere tackle frigates at 32km range or less, except get tackled?  So the fate of one of our Sleipnirs was predetermined, and because of the link I was carrying, I was the slowest.  That was that.

Fortunately, my death allowed the rest of the team to pull range, so it wasn't a total loss.  But the team's need to continue to open range led to some mental errors.  I have nothing to say about that because I wasn't involved.  I spent the rest of the match rearranging fleet bonuses, counting points, and watching the fight.

Oh, which reminds me.  Our ships this time were named after Red vs Blue characters, of course.  I drew Tucker, which makes me wonder if our logistics guy has a webcam in my office.  I spent the fight with my katana near at hand (really).  Fortunately, seppuku won't be required.  Again, gf RvB!  Good luck in the rest of the tournament!

What does this mean for Rote in AT10?  Simple.  To advance out of group, we must beat Pandemic Legion tomorrow.  If we don't, we're out.

EDIT (14/Jul/2012): The mental errors in question can be summed up this way:

13 comments:

  1. Good job, big thanks from one of those sitting on the sidelines!

    Hope you beat PL tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Sébastien Buemi's front end failure never stops being entertaining. I love how he keeps turning the wheel long after the front is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? Months of preparation, contingency planning, and practice, and after being spotted a 16 point lead your in-depth analysis consists of "unlucky beacon choice" and "the wheels came off?".

    "No comment" would have been more honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said this was an in-depth analysis? Not me, certainly. I specifically said it wasn't.

      Delete
    2. Mentioning you had a katana next to you is pretty in depth, maybe you should have warn your lucky clothes for a bonus.

      I won't be able to watch this till next week but your two games have persuaded me to go back to eve and do pvp.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure the loss of the Rote Huginn + 2 support frigs due to boundary violations was just as much to blame as the 'unlucky' warp-in.
      :pokerface:

      Delete
  4. You can theoretically advance even if you lose to PL if there is a three way tie with three teams going 1-2 and PL going 3-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as PL keeps beacons on their overviews RK is gonna have a tough time advancing.

      Delete
  5. I definitely do not want to take anything away from RvB at all, but if we had a chosen a better beacon and our moronic pilots didn't fly out of the arena, we could have beaten them quite soundly even without the 16 point lead.

    I do not want to take anything away from RvB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

      Delete
    2. "I definitely do not want to take anything away from RvB at all, but if we..."

      See, your post was only going to contradict itself and make you sound bitter when you kept typing at that point.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a PVP expert, but after watching the fight I was wondering why y'all chose to try get some distance against ships with similar speed. Had there been BS's on the field I could understand getting some separation to get into falloff and kill some of their faster support, but with everyone roughly the same speed it would seem to make more sense to close the gap and trust your DPS advantage since they were already down a ship. You had some long range support that could have stayed out of blaster range and still provided EW while your BC's stayed in close.

    I realize the sleps had more range but isn't the difference measured in only a few thousand meters? All in all it was a good fight, but I think the overall strategy was flawed more-so than the piloting out of bounds.

    Then again this is only the second tournament I've watched so I still have a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty pathetic whine post, frankly.

    How long do I have to keep refreshing before I get to read the 'we beat PL' smug post.

    I have always liked Rote Kapelle but you have really managed to portray yourself as useless loudmouths in this tourney.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.