Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fit of the Week: Travel Orca

One of the very first FOTWs I ever did was the "Supertanker Orca".  It was something that I put together in honor of Hulkageddon which was happening at that time.  But with some of the new strategies and mods that have come up in the last 20 months or so since I posted it, it's probably a good time for a quick refresh.  First, let's talk about "super-tanking" an Orca.  These days, the optimal way to do it is probably this fit:

[Orca, Supertanker ASB]
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Damage Control II

X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Prototype Cloaking Device I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I
Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Cargohold Optimization I

Vespa EC-600 x5
Hobgoblin II x5


With the advent of the Ancillary Shield Booster, any purely defensive ship that is looking to avoid being ganked should probably be using one or two of them.  Once you activate it, it will run for about 45 seconds.  That's a bit longer than the average gank in high-sec so the ASB(s) will either save your ship... or they certainly won't do you any harm in their attempt to do so!  I have a Medium ASB on my null-sec Badger.  ;-)  Seriously, if you have a ship that you don't want to get into a fight in, this is the mod to fit.  For right now, it's the ultimate defensive tactic.  Which means it's gonna get nerfed come winter, of course.  But we'll see where we are then.

For now though, if you want to tank an Orca this is how you do it.  Carry 26 Navy Cap Booster 400 charges in cargo (plus the 26 loaded in the ASBs).  If someone tries to gank you in high-sec, overheat and then activate the entire mid rack.  In addition to more than 200k EHP, your shield tank will reduce the incoming DPS by about 2000.  You'll be able to keep up this overheating for a little over two minutes, which will either see your Orca safely past the gank or will at least be plenty of time for the attempt.

You lose about 7000m3 cargo space fitting the Processor Overclocking Unit.  If you don't want to do that, then you can either go with a CPU implant in slot six, or down-shift the Reinforced Bulkheads and Damage Control mods down to meta4, then run with the cloaking device off-line.  You lose about 12% of your tank this way but if you really need that 7000m3 of cargo space, it's still a perfectly viable way to go.

If you get tackled in null- or low-sec, the strategy is a little bit different.  Your best option if you can do it is to activate one of the two ASBs, managing use of charges as your shields go down.  Try to keep yourself at about 50% shields or so.  Each pulse of the ASB will return about 7.5% of your shields.  Once you have three charges left, go ahead and burn the last three charges immediately and let the first ASB start its reload cycle.  Then start using the second ASB the same way once your shields fall back close to 50%.  Don't overheat the ASBs unless you have to.  Instead, overheat the Invuls only.  This will give you a tank of about 800 DPS or so (1000 DPS if you overheat the active ASB).  And your heat damage will be more manageable.  Of course, you'll have to judge this based on how well your tank is holding up.

Anyway, if you're going to tank an Orca, that's the way you do it.  But suppose you feel the chances of being ganked are much lower and you just want to get where you're going as quickly as possible?  There's another fit for that...

[Orca, Speed warp]
Reactor Control Unit I
Damage Control II

Prototype 100MN MicroWarpdrive I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Field II

Improved Cloaking Device II
Salvager II
Small Tractor Beam II

Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Cargohold Optimization I
Large Cargohold Optimization I

Vespa EC-600 x5
Hobgoblin II x5


The longest wait associated with traveling in an Orca is the long wait time for the ship to get up to speed before warping.  Depending on your skills, this is likely going to be more than 30 seconds.  But it turns out that if you can wedge a battleship MicroWarpdrive onto an Orca, you can take advantage of the Battleship Fast Warp guide.

And in so doing, you can get an Orca into warp in ten seconds.  Every time.

Obviously, the tank is seriously reduced in this version.  Other than your high resists particularly against lasers and EMP projectile ammo, you're not any less gankable than any other Orca.  But getting to warp in ten seconds certainly has its charms, and if you have perfect timing you can mess around with the cloaked acceleration portion of the battleship fast warp guide, too...  It's just the thing for getting up to 100,000m3 or so of whatever to Jita.

Haul safe!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

18 comments:

  1. Dear gods, there really is no ship that is sacred or safe when it comes to dual ASB fits. The fact that there is pretty much no reason NOT to do this when you have at least 4 midslots should tell us all something about these infernal contraptions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah. Hah. Infernal. It's funny because Inferno.


    Honestly, I still haven't used an ASB on anything. I do have a Slasher fit I want to try out though... better get that in before the nerf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer an ancilary rig to find the PG for the 100mn mwd so i can fit DCU and buckheads at lows. Rest 2 rigs can be CDFE to get even more tank(260k instead of 242k) or cargo so you can swap the cargo and travel fit when you will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did you fit cargohold rigs? They don't increase the size of the corporate hangar or ore hold, so they barely make difference. Shield resist rigs or shield HP bonus rigs, (replacing one of the ABS with shield extender) gives serious EHP.

    For travel fit, much less tank is needed to sacrifice by replacing the bulkhead with an inertia stabilizer and 1-2 rigs with low fraction nozzle. Then a simple 100AB will align you in a cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20K m3 barely a difference? You are kiddin' right? And if you are transporting through low sec it is all about sustained EHP, which this dual-ABS fit is all about.

      Delete
  5. I actually thought of fitting an MWD to get into warp in 10 seconds all on my own soon after acquiring my first Orca. Which makes me kind of proud because people I knew who had been flying the ship for months never came up with this idea and kept complaining how terribly slow the ship is *g*

    Actively flown Orca with MWD travels as fast as a shuttle on autopilot!

    I also prefer to use one ancillary router rig so I can fit DC and Bulkheads in the lows, or two cargo expanders if I really need max cargo more than tank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the fit I've been using for years that gives you some of both (it's awesome for controlled collapse of C5 wormholes BTW):
    [Orca, Racing fit]

    Damage Control II
    Reinforced Bulkheads II

    Prototype 100MN MicroWarpdrive I
    Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
    EM Ward Field II

    Prototype Cloaking Device (if desired)

    Large Ancillary Current Router I
    Large Cargohold Optimization I
    Large Cargohold Optimization I

    Vespa EC-600 x5
    Hobgoblin II x5

    Supplying the needed grid with a rig allows you to have more or less normal fits along the speed option. I can haul 72k+40k with dual Expander IIs.

    More often than not you never fully align, just warp away sideways - gone in 10-12 seconds from a standing start. Actively piloted, this Orca can outrun battleships, even with the slower AU/sec speed.
    The goal of the the Racing Orca is to never give them time to organize against you. Never autopilot. When you exit a station ctrl-space to stop (maintains invulnerability) and once your speed drops below 20% start your warp and pulse the MWD.
    Fly like your hair is on fire...
    -F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ripard Ripard Ripard....spilling the beans on speed Orcas. Tsk tsk sir, tsk tsk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 10 second warp trick works just as well with the Gist C-Type 100MN Afterburner I have on my Orca. It might be worth testing if it works for the T2 version too. Saves you having to use a rig slot for fitting a 100MN MWD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but is this 'Gist C-Type 100MN Afterburner' in fact an option to achieve the Fast Warp? I tried it with the Afterburner II to no avail and do not have the means to drop the ISK on the Gist just for the giggles. Anyone able to verify the above claim? Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the answer to this is a big giant "no", but it'd be something you should test on the Buckingham test server.

      That said, I'd bet money on that "no". ABs just don't provide the acceleration.

      Delete
    2. I'll take your bet Jester.

      I use the standard travel fit Orca here - http://evehermit.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/orca-fleet/

      I've made literally hundreds of jumps where the 10 second warp works with Gist C-Type 100MN Afterburner. I'll update FRAPS and post video examples if you want?

      Delete
  10. OK, for those who care, I gave it a try and these are my non-scientific results.

    Using my Orca and having trained Evasive Maneuvering IV I reach warp speed in about 40 seconds without any propulsion modules.

    Using a MWD and pulse it takes 10 seconds, doing the same with the Gist C-Type 100mn Afterburner takes about 20 seconds to be in warp.

    But timing seems to be crucial to achieve those 20 seconds as one has to pulse the afterburner right at the moment when the Orca leaves its cloaking state.

    For one who is roaming through asteroid fields to mine a specific ore and because of that 'travels' a tad more, this AB fit is something to consider.

    Training Evasive Maneuvering V right now and report back the final results of this little test. o7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any issues with it only taking 10 seconds. The Orca does have to be stationary - or almost at a stop. I also use one T2 Inertia Stabilizer. I just select warp, then immediately pulse the AB on and then off. Once the module cycle completes, I immediately warp.

      I do this on 3 toons - two have over 100M SP, with Evasive Maneuvering V and Advanced Spaceship Command V. It does however work with a 30M SP industry alt with Evasive Maneuvering IV and Advanced Spaceship Command III, although it is slightly less forgiving if the ship is moving.

      Delete
  11. Seems I don't pay close enough attention when flying my ships - and I owe Jester some money.

    The 100MN Afterburner won't give you a 10 second warp. It will be 10 seconds + 10% per rank in Afterburner. (So 14 seconds for most of my toons.) Quicker than normal - but not the 10 seconds the MWD can provide.

    I uplaoded an example here - http://youtu.be/QNgJ3cbAzU8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.
    Flights to Gaborone
    Cheap Flights to Gaborone
    Cheap Air Tickets to Gaborone

    ReplyDelete
  13. With Rubicon, I like fitting 3 Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer rigs to the speed warp fit.
    Even T2s are reasonable given the Orca's price, and give me 3.91 AU warp speed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.