Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's surprising what you can get used to

Four years ago this March, I was living in Connecticut, on the east coast of the United States.  At the time, that part of the world was just emerging from an unusually harsh, cold winter.  It had snowed the day before but this particular early March day, the sun was out and the air was that still ultra-sharp blue that can only come from air that's been thoroughly snowed through.  "Severe clear," pilots call this sort of weather.  Still, as I walked out of my office building that day with my coat over one arm, I took in the air, smiled and thought "Hey, this isn't so bad.  This actually feels pretty good."  And so I didn't put my coat on and walked to my car, which has a little outside air thermostat on the dash.

When I turned my car on, it reported the temperature was 15 degrees Fahrenheit... -9 Celsius.


It's surprising what you can get used to.

Yesterday, I was reminded of that winter moment.  These days, I live in California on the opposite side of the United States.  We've been going through a particularly hot, humid summer.  It's October and it still hasn't ended.  Temperatures of 105F/40C have been common all through September.  But yesterday I walked out of a different office building and thought "Hey, this isn't so bad."  Then I remembered that Connecticut March, laughed at myself, walked to my car (same car) and turned the key.

Sure enough, it reported the temperature was 91 degrees Fahrenheit... 33 Celsius.

I need a new car.


Anyone remember when PLEXes were 380 million ISK?  I do.  It was a year ago.  It's surprising what you can get used to.

12 comments:

  1. PLEX bidding for entry to the next AT: a most unexpected way to remove a massive amount of ISK from the economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isk is only removed if CCP adds PLEX directly to the market. Otherwise isk is transferred from the buying player to the selling player.

      Delete
  2. How does that compare to the general inflation curve, I wonder? I remember when I found a 135-million-ISK sell order for a Maelstrom in Rens, which was only 20 million off the Jita price. That was this spring. Today? 189 for the lowest price outside null. 135 million is the bargain-basement price for a Raven, for crying out loud.

    (That 135-million-ISK Maelstrom has paid for itself many times over, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEXes from 380 to 570 million in one year is definitely higher than the rest of the curve.

      Your Maelstrom would have to cost 207 to match the PLEX curve.

      Delete
  3. So what happened? Its because of the weather, in New Eden, or just greed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the own3d tournement coming up, Im sure people are hoarding their plexes and buying them up to prevent or discourage a large group of people from even trying to win an auctioned slot in it.

    It probally doesnt help that you can resculpt your character now for a PLEX, and even though there was a huge amount of rage over Incarna, Im an absolutely certain there are thousands upon thousands of EvE players who would pay "just one plex" to change their characters body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or people are making a shit load of Isk in faction warfare and spending it on not spending real money on eve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEXaGEDDON is here & every FW Tier 5 spike expect a 20-30 million ISKies jump until the FW Winter nerf on ISK reductions in the LP stores.
    ~DarthNefarius
    PS: the tournament will likely push the prices up initially but after the auction& anyone w/o 120+ PLEXs loses out we'll see PLEXes level out a little unless we get aweekend with 3 FW Tier 5's somehow

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, what do you think the chances are that it is CCP intentionally pushing things so that it is harder for freeloaders to absorb company resources playing month after month without paying a cent that can go to company payroll and server costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEXers aren't free-loaders. Quite the opposite! PLEXes are THE most expensive way to pay for EVE Online, and CCP makes the MOST money from people that play this way.

      Every PLEX ultimately has to be purchased from CCP for the highest monthly subscription rate of any option there is.

      Delete
    2. Don't try and talk facts at a conspiracy theorist, Jester.

      Delete
  8. It's market manipulation easy mode. The same people push up the prices of plex, and only when something major happens does the price go down (major fall in subscribers usually).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.