We're maybe 70 days from the release of Retribution, and nobody can give me any straight fucking answers on this topic. It's sounding like basic game design decisions around this haven't been made yet.
The only thing I can get straight answers about are the three states: neutral, yellow (sometimes called "suspect"), and red (sometimes called "criminal").
- Neutral is the default state.
- Yellow means that any player can shoot you.
- Red means that any player and CONCORD can shoot you.
A couple of interesting changes that seem to stay pretty consistent from week to week, though:
- Can-flipping will yellow-flag you. That's different. Today, only the can owner and his corp can shoot you for this.
- Illegal pod-killing in high- and low-sec will red-flag you. That's different. Today, you can pod someone in low-sec and while you'll take GCC and players can shoot at you wherever they find you, CONCORD won't come after you if you head into high-sec.
Will you be able to dock or jump gates while red-flagged? Nobody seems to know. Initially, I got a semi-confident "no" answer to this one, but that was before I heard pod-killing in low-sec was a red flag offense. If you're in low-sec and can't leave, what does it matter if CONCORD will come after you for this?
Will sentry guns shoot you while yellow-flagged? I hear CCP Soundwave's answer to this one is "Sentry guns are stupid!" which -- while true! -- don't exactly answer the fucking question, know what I mean? Tell you what, Soundwave, let's red flag those sentry guns. I don't like them.
If contraband is illegal and players will be policing it, will the simple act of putting boosters in your cargo yellow-flag you? I get blank stares when I ask this one, so I stopped asking it. I don't need more blank stares in my life.
Chaos and indecision are fun. I get off on them.
The preceding has been an important message from Jester's evil twin, Garth. The management apologizes to any and all whom Garth may have offended. If Garth says he likes something, that probably means that it's bad.