Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, November 30, 2012

November junk drawer

Welcome to the junk drawer, part of a series of monthly posts in which I dump all the stuff that I couldn't develop into full blog posts this past month... and interestingly enough, there's only three.

---snip---

This isn't an ad.  I don't do advertising, and I'm not being paid to promote this product.  But every once in a while I'm asked "what headphones should I buy?"  Answer: Sennheiser PC350s.  I have the PC350s and I can't recommend them, or Sennheiser, strongly enough.  They're expensive, and worth it.

The sound quality (both input and output) is great, the comfort of these headsets is fantastic, the build quality is tremendous.  They feel heavy and firm without being heavy and firm.  In point of fact, they're remarkably light and flexible but still strong enough that I've dropped mine off my desk a score of times with no damage taken.  I've taken them on and off hundreds of times and they refuse to pick up skin oils.  They've been wrapped around my ears for hundreds of hours and the cushions still look brand new.

My first set of PC350s did break about a year after I got them: the left speaker stopped working.  I called Sennheiser and they sent me a brand new replacement pair.  No arguments, no receipts, no questions, just a brand new set of PC350s in retail packaging at my door in four days.  I've now had the second pair for about two years.

Again, can't recommend them highly enough.  Don't buy cheap headphones.  Buy yourself one nice set and keep it for years.

---snip---

Note to CCP: make boosters and liquid oxygen "charges" for the purposes of ship cargo for carrier moves.

Please!

I can't possibly even begin to tell you how obnoxious it is to have to remove all the boosters from all my ships and all the LO from all my cyno ships before loading them into a carrier or Orca.  Please please please fix this.

---snip---

I passed two milestones this month, but for some reason, I didn't really feel like making big huge deals of either one of them.  Making small deals of them feels about right.  First, I passed 1000 blog posts this month.  And second, I passed two million total hits this month.

I'm still very comfortable with the output level I'm maintaining, about 500 posts per year, or about 45 per month.  Some months will be a little bit busier, some less so.  I generally plan six posts per week and then end up writing ten per week as things pop up on my radar or interest me.  For instance, this week the FOTW, the KOTW, the QOTW, the two CSM posts, and the memo to I-RED were planned.  Everything else was written based on things that happened in-game or in the larger EVE meta.

So if Kirith Kodachi is still out there hoping I'm going to burn out?  Sorry, mate.  ;-)

It took me 16 months to reach my first million visitors, then about six more months for the second.  That said, hits around here have plateaued, I suspect because there's only a limited EVE audience to draw from and because hits on the Global Agenda links have died off to nothing.  I'm not writing enough Guild Wars 2 posts to really appear on the radar there yet, but that's fine becuase during the current Rote Kapelle campaign I haven't been playing GW2 all that much.

Thank you to all of you that keep visiting, and those who send me kind words on comments, EVE mails, and the like.  You guys are why I do this.

---snip---

And that's all for the junk drawer this month.  Part Four of the Implant Guide will definitely be published this weekend.  I apologize for the continued delay in getting it out.

10 comments:

  1. I personally think your update rate is superb. It's enough that when I check your blog once a day, there is usually something new to read but not so much that I get bored and wander if into the further depths on the internet. The content is also fantastic, my favorites being the KOTW and your rants about ccp. Keep up the good work!

    P.s. Your guides are also awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My total post lead is down to ~1300. I better pick up the pace. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your efforts. Hope we have a nice december with lots of fun in game and tons of stuff to talk about ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the "this ship can do that?" series.

    Heats to 3.1k/s, has 18k ehp, covops cloak, and nobody expects to be scrammed by a prowler

    [Prowler, Med tackle]
    Reactor Control Unit II
    Damage Control II

    Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
    Experimental 10MN MicroWarpdrive I
    Medium Shield Extender II

    Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
    Small Nosferatu II

    Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
    Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never stop blogging jester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite EVE Online related blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your headset recommendation. I have the 360 model and it is worth every penny. I am not a native english speaker and often had problems understanding some guys. Not any more. Everything is crystal clear now. I'd buy them again if the break. Really good product for gamers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm probably going to get the PC360 this christmas.
    Thanks Trebon for the feedback

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dont stop blogging mate, your the most prolific Blogger about eve around here about most subjects, I like your style and the depth of your details. i am not surprised you reach more than 2 Mil readers

    O

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just reminded that i'm gonna have to download that podcast you had with several blogposting celebrities AGAIN just to criticize your headset (that is if the one you're talking about is actually the one you used during the last two podcasts, I mean don't know if it is just me but you sound too analog, or the room you're usually in isn't ideal, or it may very well be because you're talking from the future ;-)

    By the way, that is one you didn't blog too much about or provided a link, iirc, and it was much better than the last one with Alek K... Becasuse man, I just can't listen to that guy, makes me feel on the defensive as soon as he raises his word.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.