Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, December 21, 2012

Best of 2012: 1

I wrap up this year, as I did last year, by saying thank you to all of you.  Thank you to everyone who's read my stuff, commented on it, agreed with it, argued with me about it, explained to me why I'm dumb, or thanked me for educating them.  You guys are why I do this.

Again, I've been absolutely overwhelmed and humbled by the response to the pledge drive.  All of the donations rock, as do all of the notes of encouragement, questions, and flat-out atta-boys.  The number of you encouraging me to run for CSM8 is kind of scary and gratifying as well...  Anyone who thinks EVE players are bad people is wrong.  Your support means a lot to me, particularly those of you who are newer players.  Personal thanks today go out to Aodh Saighdiuir, Marc Callan (who sent me a nice toy), HARD STEEL, Draimin (who contracted me several piles of toys and unknowingly is going to be sending the quite awesome Black Frog Freight some business ;-) ), Zivandra, Neetiri, and Fenn Herstal.

There will be one more "thank you" post before the end of the year.  I sent out some EVE mails to contributors asking if they wanted their contributions to be public or not, and some of those EVE mails haven't yet been replied to.

This is the last post of the pledge drive, so there will be no further shaking of the tin cup after this.  Of course, any time you want to send contributions to Ripard Teg, I won't say no.  ;-)  Again, thanks very much to those of you that have contributed.  To those and the rest, thanks for reading, and I hope you'll continue to do so!


Like last year, #1 was not at all hard to choose:

#1: Hats
In a week or so, I'm going to post what I thought were the top ten EVE-related events in 2012, and one of them will be obvious.  During Fanfest 2012 and while highly drunk, The Mittani -- already reelected to the Chairmanship of the CSM -- encouraged EVE players to goad another potentially mentally unstable EVE player into a rash act.  It was an unprecedented slip-up, and it put CCP in a very difficult position, particularly since they had announced a partnership with a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate not long before.  That left "sweep it under the rug" off the list of possible responses.

In this post, I laid out exactly what happened, put Mittens's outburst into context, and then argued that while CCP should punish him, they should not throw him off the CSM.  That said, this entire post was also about why a good CSM Chairman is not necessarily a good leader of the Goonswarm alliance, and I laid out exactly the reasons why.  All in all, Mittens didn't seem to mind this post and in fact encouraged people to read it via his Ten Ton Hammer column and his Twitter account.  In Mittens-speak, I'd say that equals agreement with what I wrote here.  This was -- far and away -- the most read post here at Jester's Trek in 2012.

We all know it it ended: CCP indeed threw Mittens off the CSM and Mittens responded soon after by becoming the best Goon he could possibly be.  ;-)  More on that in the top ten events of 2012 post.  As I said, look for that in a week.


I hope you've enjoyed this year's retrospective.  I've caught heat for it two years running, but I enjoy doing it, and I know a lot of new readers appreciate being pointed to some of my older stuff.  If you want to look at last year's list, feel free to read the appropriate posts tagged "Pledge Drive" from last year.

Thanks again for reading and I look forward to writing a whole lot more for you guys in 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I remember the "hats". Point of clarification though. In a couple casual and meandering podcasts at Fly Reckless, Mittens basically explains and demonstrates that there were no "hats". The is no difference between him and his in-game personas. Eve is simply an opportunity for him to screw with people in a game where it's allowed. It's what he enjoys. If he isn't fucking with people in Eve, he's out larping with his buddies where the only motivator is being able to beat the shit out of a bunch of nerds. He only wears one hat, that of a dickhead. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.