Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Best of 2012: 10 - 6

I'm combining a "Best of 2012" retrospective with a good old-fashioned pledge drive.

If anything you've read on this blog this year has made you smile, made you laugh, saved your ship, made you some ISK, or otherwise got you through a boring work day, gate camp, tower bash, or fleet op, I'm here asking that you throw a little ISK my way.  It doesn't have to be a lot; just whatever you can afford.  Alternately, if you have assets scattered around that you have been too lazy to get rid of or don't want any more, those are just as valuable to me.  Contract them over and I'll find new owners for them or I'll put them to work myself.

Either way, send your contributions to Ripard Teg.  And let me know in an EVE mail if you want the fact that you contributed to be public or not.  Thank you to kazabu Uchonela, ash veratis, Nimbor, Kaycee Deegee, Marethyu Ghostfire, Grey Stone, Kenpachi Viktor, Aeryn Sith, Kana Casul, and Raven Fenx on behalf of the Deadly Bunchak Hunts corp.  Special thanks to Slver Wolf who was particularly generous.  I've been completely overwhelmed by the number of really nice comments and EVE mails I've received, guys, particularly from those of you that are new players.  There have been several times the last couple of days that I've had to stand up, walk away from the computer, and... ummm... have Garth forcibly remind me what terrible people EVE players are.  Yeah, that's it.  ;-)  Thank you.

I'll be shaking the tin cup for one more day in the "Best of" posts, concluding with what I thought was my best post of 2012 on Friday.


#10: What Alliance Tournament training is like
For those who have never participated in an Alliance Tournament, I decided to document my experiences with it this year.  I'd been on AT teams before, but never as a primary member so I covered a lot of ground with it.  None more than this post, though, which wrapped up all of my experiences of several months of AT training: the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It was a really great time, and I'm looking forward to AT11, and perhaps participating in the next New Eden Open...

#9: Stool
In April, CCP announced the biggest change to mineral acquisition in all the time I've been playing the game: mission and other rats would no longer drop standard meta 0 modules.  It was no exaggeration to say that this was a breath-taking change that had the potential to impact every facet of the game.  This post was my first analysis of the impacts, and pretty much all of those impacts came to pass, except that I predicted that meta1 through 4 modules would drop more often.  CCP changed the loot table instead so that drop rates on those metas stayed flat.  The most direct impact: mineral prices throughout New Eden doubled, and they've been very slow to fall...

#8: Farmville
The same month, CCP announced a series of "changes" to the way incursions would operate.  I called it what it was: CCP's first quadruple nerf.  I predicted a couple of days later that it would shatter the incursion community: a rather dramatic prediction, but one that turned out to be essentially accurate.  By May in the Farmville post, I laid down exactly why and how the changes were breaking the incursion community and predicted it would be months -- if ever -- before more than one incursion was being run at once.  CCP eventually backed off a couple of these changes but the damage was done: incursions became an ultra-niche play style and still hasn't recovered.

#7: Things the CSM thinks
In January, CSM6 posted their minutes for the December 2011 Summit.  They were so blandly written and so devoid of accountability that I essentially threw down the guantlet, listed every controversial thing "the CSM thinks" in the document, and said that they should be attributed to the entire CSM... even when some of the statements directly contradicted each other ("wormhole stabilizers").  It caused quite a stir, and my value on the Mittens scale dropped down to "shitty blogger" for a while, but eventually "the CSM" agreed that I might have a point.  Minutes since have attributed CSM statements to the individual CSM member responsible for them, something that I hope will continue in this December's minutes.

#6: IQ test
Faction Warfare "button-orbiting" had become such a scourge on New Eden by August that I again threw down the gauntlet and basically told players that if they weren't doing this... welllll...  As I put it in the post itself:
...every once in a while, CCP makes a PvE game design decision so gloriously irrational that not to take advantage of it is an obvious error.  I hate to put it this bluntly, but it's like an IQ test.  If you don't take advantage when CCP makes this sort of decision, you're dumb.
Dear Heaven, did this post get me yelled at.  ;-)  Needless to say, when CCP finally got around to fixing this two months later, my first comment was "the damage is already done."  And that's still the case.  There are thousands of EVE players out there now who believe only PvE that makes them 300 million ISK/hour is acceptable...


Tomorrow: #5 through #2.

8 comments:

  1. IQ-Test on rank 6? Okay.

    I think you haven't explained (if you have I'm sorry) on what aspects your 'best of' actually focusses on? Just wondering, is it the overall quality of writing, the feedback or maybe if a certain post accomplished anything? A mix?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in this post:
      http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/12/pledge-drive-kick-off.html

      I chose the order based on a lot of factors including number of comments, number of likes, number of times people read the post, how influential the post was at the time, and how many external sites or blogs referred to it.

      The IQ test post tripped a lot of those flags, particularly referenceability. A dozen blogs pointed to it in one way or another and either agreed with me or pointed out how stupid I am. ;-) It was the second most-read thing I wrote all summer and it got that distinction *without* being syndicated by EVE News 24, which is usually how things shoot up the most-read list.

      So it deserved to make the list for those reasons. Plus I do think it's one of the best-written things I produced this year. No matter how you feel about the subject matter, I think the post produces a visceral reaction and that's what I was going for.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation! It was very controversial, thats true, hehe.

      Delete
  2. Hey jester, my 2 alts just shot you 200 Mil. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Be sure to send me an EVE mail letting me know if you want your alt to receive a public shout out on the blog or if you want me to keep them private.

      Delete
  3. I think #9 gets my vote for favorite title of 2012 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of "the damage is already done.", the implant market is recovering faster than most folks expected. Most high-level implants are currently only 10-25% below their "pre-faction-war-buff" prices, compared to 50-60% down at the worst. My initial investment of 5.7B in implants is currently worth about 9.0B at Jita prices. I wish I had bought more!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.