Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kill of the Week: Not a hauler

So, let's start with the first runner-up first, this Charon.  It probably deserves to be KOTW, but I got bitched at last week for doing two hauler KOTWs in a row, and this would make it a third.  So I won't.  The amusing thing about this kill is of course the Vangel (which dropped!) in its cargo hold.  But nearly as amusing, there's nearly a whole Vangel PvP fit in there too, and it isn't half bad:

[Vangel, Armadakin]
Damage Control II
Corpum A-Type Medium Armor Repairer
Corelum B-Type Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Core A-Type 100MN Afterburner
Domination Warp Disruptor
Federation Navy Stasis Webifier
True Sansha Medium Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400

Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
'Ditch' Medium Energy Neutralizer I
'Ditch' Medium Energy Neutralizer I

Warrior II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5


The only thing missing in the freighter are the rigs.  We can accurately guess one of his rig choices right off.  The ship needs an Ancillary Current Router I to solve the ship's grid problem.  What was the other rig going to be?  I think I'd go with a T2 Polycarbon Engine Housing myself... but now we'll never know.  ;-)  The freighter pilot is either someone's alt, or someone's Blue Frog Freight character delivering a contract gone badly awry.  Given that it was in a Charon, I kinda have to guess the former.  Fairly reliable word says this freighter was auto-piloting, too... which is really dumb and makes it even less likely Blue Frog was involved.  But the fit is good enough and precise enough that it's probably the alt for someone pretty damn smart.  Wonder who it was?  And more importantly, why was he dumb enough to do this?

Second runner up was that Cambion.  I've talked about it already.  Pretty glorious kill, tbqh.

That leaves this week's winner:
http://black.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15284905

It might take you a minute to figure out what's wrong with this, but you'll get there.  I didn't pick a hauler for KOTW.  :-)  And it comes with a movie:


"I'm in the perfect looting ship," one of the killers says, which was the funniest thing I heard all weekend.  n1, guys.

Number of dead super-caps this week: 1

Only one to talk about this week, this Nyx, smashed by -- among others -- a PL fleet of super--... ummm... errr... Tempests.  Apparently the system was cyno-jammed.  ;-)  It's wayyyy down in Impass, which is one of the most remote regions in New Eden, so there's no way to know how this kill came about unless someone involved in the fight wants to talk about it.  There are some clues.  For instance, it looks like he was involved in a good size fight with UnclaimedDOT/Out of SightDOT when the PL fleet came in.  And to his credit, he seems to have taken a number of dictors and one heavy interdictor down with him.  Was this a log-out gone awry, or did Unclaimed bat-phone PL?  There's no evidence that this turned into a three-way.  I'm sorry to say I know almost nothing about sov politics in the far south-east.  Anyone know the story here?

EDIT (5/Dec/2012): An anonymous commenter found a brief story on themittani.com  covering this.  Thanks!

That said, that was all the super-cap kills I could last week...

13 comments:

  1. I was really hoping the KOTW would be about the 100bil battle in wspace. More than a titan kill was lost in a place usually known for small to mid-size gang warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a suggestion? Send me the KM, tell me the story. That's where many KOTWs come from.

      Delete
    2. I'd assume http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=15356489

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that's not a Blue Frog. 75B is more than they'll touch, and there's no plastic wrap in the kill. Just another idiot with more dollars than sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. South Politics and Nyx story: http://themittani.com/news/war-update-esoteria-and-impass

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a 75bn collateral courier contract publicly available in Jita last week - I pointed it out to alliance mates in a "who on earth would ever run that" way. It's possible that was the courier contract for the Vangel, and this dude just picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few comments on that Vangel fit. First of all in regards to the second rig, I would be truly shocked if they weren't intending to use a t2 missile damage rig. If they wanted to fit anything that used 250 or less calibration like a Polycarbon Engine Housing II they could have fit an ACRII. The advantage of this isn't massive, mostly just letting them fit longer range fraction nuets, however on a hull worth this much I doubt they would bother saving the 80m.

    In general you seemed to think the fit was reasonable, now when theory crafting something similar I came up with this:
    [Vangel, 100MN AB vangel (with links)]

    Corpum A-Type Medium Armor Repairer
    Corpum A-Type Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
    Corpum A-Type Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
    Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II

    Core X-Type 100MN Afterburner
    Domination Warp Disruptor
    True Sansha Stasis Webifier
    Imperial Navy Cap Recharger

    Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
    Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
    Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
    Caldari Navy Heavy Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
    'Ditch' Medium Energy Neutralizer I
    'Ditch' Medium Energy Neutralizer I

    Medium Bay Loading Accelerator II
    Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I

    Hobgoblin II x5
    Hornet EC-300 x5
    Warrior II x5

    Snake Alpha*
    Snake Beta*
    Snake Gamma*
    Snake Delta*
    Snake Epsilon*
    Snake Omega*
    Eifyr and Co. 'Rogue' Evasive Maneuvering EM-706
    Zor's Custom Navigation Hyper-Link
    Zainou 'Deadeye' Target Navigation Prediction TN-906
    Zainou 'Deadeye' Rapid Launch RL-1006

    (Cap stable (+54.1 -51.7), 1039 EHP/S rep, 35.3k EHP, 329 DPS without drones, 2927 m/s speed and 18.3s align, 3.52s align without the AB, 87.5m sig. This is with command links but without boosters since I felt their use to be to situational.)

    Now it’s obviously a few bil more expensive however on a 30b+ hull that seems reasonable, plus adding the isk to the other fit or even taking it from this one doesn’t change much relative to each other. Outside of the cost why run the fit they were planning on running rather than the above? The only downside I can see is it’s more vulnerable to heavy nueting. I can only see that mattering however when the opponents have a bunch of long range nuets and no long range webs, since otherwise your likely webbed and screwed anyway.

    So if I’m missing anything please correct me, I’d love to get your thoughts on the matter.

    *The snake set is only adding 580m/s so I considered swapping it out for some nomads to allow for some manoeuvrability while the AB is pulsing, however with the new 7.5 second AB cycles I can’t see it as justifiable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, the fit in the Charon isn't half bad, but I do like yours. Cap Recharger, though? Nuh uh. If you're not going to go with ACR, at least go Small Capacitor Booster. Cap Boosters are intended to relieve neut pressure, which is the only thing that can really catch or hurt a 100MN AB cruiser fit. If that AB shuts off ever... you're done.

      I'm not entirely convinced about the new trend of 100MN AB fitting what are basically armor ships anyway, though...

      Delete
    2. If you’re getting hit by staggered nuets wouldn't you only be able to pulse the AB anyway? It used to be that you could time it with your cap booster and you would be all good until it ran out of charges. Since however the after burner skill decreases the cycle time now it can only be run 2/3 of the time off a single fraction cap booster.
      Although that's still enough to maintain most of your speed it was part of the reason I decided not to use a mid cap booster in the first place. No idea why using a small one didn't occur to me though and thanks for pointing that out, I feel that's a much stronger solution and fits nicely.

      Also you mentioned that nuets were the only thing that could really catch or hurt a 100MN AB cruiser fit but wouldn’t a Huginn with a couple of webs cause just as many problems? What am I missing here, obviously something still has to have you pointed but that’s the same in both cases so?

      Delete
  6. I quite never figure out what is wrong with any picture, Jester. So you may want to explain the score of your pole position KOTW for the interested non PvP readers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at what killed the Armageddon. It was a fleet made up partially of armed haulers. I was having a little fun. Instead of making the KOTW a hauler, the KOTW was a target killed by haulers. ;-)

      Delete
  7. The Ashimmu most likely could have soloed the Armageddon given enough time unless I missed something there :D
    But still fun to watch :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best Redeemer fit I've ever seen.

    http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=15399978

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.