Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

POTW: Retribution

Happy Retribution Day!

While you're waiting for 1.54GB to download -- maybe several times -- check out the new Retribution trailer.  I got a kick out of this one.  "Short and sweet" doesn't even cover it: this one's a neatly-wrapped chocolate candy.  Purely from a visual stand-point, it's quite well done, showing off EVE's missile effects, the new destroyers, the new Venture mining frigate, and the new Stabber model as a drop-in.  All in all, very clever use of Retribution's new ships!  The visual of the docked Widow is also quite nice, and the uncanny valley is kept to a minimum.

I think my favorite single bit was watching Hammerheads launching from the new Algos destroyer, something we'll never see like this in game:


I think all of us have visualized drones or fighters launching from our ships this way at one time or another.  ;-)  So overall, the new trailer has a nice impact, but my first impression was that something was missing.  And it took me a couple of hours to figure it out.  But once I did, now I can't unsee it... or unhear it in this case.  "Today, Vic is about to get caught by the most savage hunter of them all... me," the trailer says.

Not "us".  "Me".  Only there's six ships there.

On the positive end, five out of the six are ships that new players can fly soon after they start playing the game.  On the negative end, though, the subconscious impression I got was there's one guy at the keyboard multi-boxing those six ships!  So while the trailer is pretty good, I think I would have taken it a step further.  Instead of all those destroyers, I think I would have emphasized Retri's new player aspect, showed the Widow under attack by 15 or so cruisers.  Voice-over, "Today, Vic is about to get caught by the most savage hunters in New Eden... all of us."  Half the cruisers get blown up or shaken off, but the other half succeed.

And then you see 15 wallets go up by 30 million or so each... some of those wallets starting from quite low values.  I think that would have been fun.

Still, it's a minor nit in what's otherwise a very nice trailer.  And I want that cyno effect, please.  ;-)

Enjoy your first day with Retribution!

16 comments:

  1. I'd say those look like Hammerheads ;)

    On a side note, if you were to create a mercenary corporation and recruit rather new players to tackle the target while you bomb him (and possibly all of them as well) to death from the safety of your cloaky ship, Id guess you'd be the kind of guy who'd say "the most savage hunter of them all... me". And leadership sending others to fight right under bombs? That really sounds like Eve alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, fixed. I was tired yesterday morning. ;-)

      Delete
  2. it's not a cyno effect, that's the new battleship sized short range warp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better would be "Today, Vic is going to meet his match. And unlike him, I have friends"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was kinda looking for the point where concord intervened and blew up all those bounties hunters for ganking that poor vic in empire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those are actually hammerheads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, damn, I fly a Kronos. That thing is horrible now. Look at an angle from the back and it looks like a shoe box. In fact, if the main body at the back was blue it could almost pass as Caldari.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drone aggro is very broken. Attacking NPC frigates can instantly change targets and apply DPS. It's making L4's very irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly what I thought of when they said 'me' and showed bunch of ships.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just don't get the trailer, nor the new bounty system.

    The trailer seems to say - hey, if you are rich and in an alliance, put a bounty on the solo pirate, so that a group of players have some incentive to blob him. Er, ok... but, why?

    The bounty system just seems useless. No one cares about it in null, low or wh space, since we shoot everyone who is not blue anyways. In high sec, you can't actually shoot someone with a bounty, unless he has also been suspect/criminal flagged, without getting yourself Concord'ed and slapped with a sec status penalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so I was wrong about the new bounty system. It is good for one thing... laughs. :)

      Looks like *every* active player is going to have a bounty by the end of the week.

      I'm guessing that this isn't exactly what CCP intended.

      Delete
    2. I think it's *exactly* what they intended. More to come on this.

      Delete
  10. I was really liking the adv camera stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really agree with this.

    The weak part of the trailer for me was that they set out a fascinating sci-fi background, showed the Mittani-esque mastermind behind it all - and then failed to point out that every single one of the people in their piece of fiction were played by real human beings. THAT's the unique selling point of EVE, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing that strucked me with the new trailer..was the sounds!

    I had my fingers crossed it was the sounds we're gonna get with Retri(especially that Manti engine sound)..didn't happen.

    Too bad..imo adding some high quality FX, EVE could be so vastly improved. New turret sounds are ok..but, guess I was expecting more.

    ReplyDelete