Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, December 3, 2012

Quote of the Week: What do we know

It's not my nature to go with the same person for Quote of the Week two weeks in a row.  Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever done it.  And in fact, I was gonna go with something from CCP Greyscale, but for reasons I'll get into in a second, he didn't really say anything quoteable this weekend.  So yeah, gotta go with CCP Dolan again:
Neither of us are CCP Soundwave... so what do we know.
That was Sunday afternoon during the New Eden Open.  By that time, CCP Soundwave was relaxed enough that Dolan felt pretty comfortable teasing him a little.  There were a couple of cases over the weekend where Soundwave had to acknowledge Dolan's expertise, and by the end of the day, Dolan, Soundwave, and CCP Fozzie were discussing some minor point... probably how the next match was going to go.  Dolan and Fozzie found themselves in agreement, with Soundwave taking the opposite position.

So Dolan stated his argument for his position, then wrapped up with the gem above.  I might be forced to quote it a time or two in the coming year.  ;-)

In the midst of all the matches yesterday, you probably missed the fact that a lot of good information was shared about both the expansion tomorrow, Retribution, and some of CCP's future plans for EVE.  Two years ago during the Incursion expansion, CCP took the interesting step of releasing the expansion in three waves with the final wave in late January.  Recently, I predicted that I thought that CCP would take the same tack with Retribution, particularly with the new Command Ships and the separation of the various Destroyer and Battle Cruiser skills.  And CCP Soundwave was good enough to confirm at least part of that prediction: he revealed that there will be a "mini update" after New Year's.  I think we can pretty well expect the Destroyer/BC skill split to happen at this time at the very least.  If you followed CCP's recommendation from last month, though, you're in good shape... right?

Soundwave and Fozzie also revealed that there are going to be a whole series of holiday gifts this year instead of the choice we were presented with last year.  Having done some scouting around on the test server, I have a pretty good idea what some of these gifts are and I think players -- particularly veteran players -- are going to be pleased.  That said, I won't spoil the surprise here.  If you must know early, the information is out there.  But I don't think we'll have to wait all that long.  One hint, though: one of the gifts is apparently a ship, but several more are not.

Fozzie also presented the interesting idea that what's happening to the T1 cruisers is a conscious, deliberate choice on CCP's part.  They deliberately want to narrow the gap between T1 and T2 ships so that the improvement from one to the other isn't quite so dramatic.  This is kind of a nerf to veteran players -- something I suspect the CSM is going to call them on in a couple of weeks.  That said, I've got some ideas about where CCP is going with this that I'll share in a few days.  In the meantime, if you've got the idea in your head that "if Thoraxes are this good now, I can't wait for the new Deimos!", you might want to stop thinking along those lines so as not to be disappointed later.


Finally, it was downright painful to listen to CCP Greyscale try to explain Crimewatch.  OK, OK, I'm biased.  This is not my favorite CCP employee ever... far from it.  But damn.  I think even a completely neutral observer would stand by me on this one.  The new Crimewatch at its heart is actually a pretty simple system, particularly given the complexity of the current system.  I could explain it in very few words.  Greyscale... really... can't.  As an example, CCP Guard, GM Nova, and CCP Arrow featured in an amusing new video that visually explained a couple of Crimewatch's new features using only the new icons and a toy gun.(1)  For most applications, the word "inherit" goes a long way: "If you remote repair someone, you inherit their flags, including PvP, Suspect, and Criminal, at whatever time those flags have remaining."  See?  Easy.  But Greyscale struggled to explain how the system worked, never once using the word "inherit."  Oi.

Other than that though, pretty interesting stuff, I thought!  But I'm not Soundwave, so what do I know.  ;-)


(1) But even with a toy gun... yipe, someone teach CCP Guard range safety, please.

18 comments:

  1. Anywhere to get the recording of Greyscale's comments? I gotta hear this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For anyone who wants, it's EVE TV 2nd December #7 on the Own3D site.
      http://www.own3d.tv/CCPGames/video/907979

      Delete
    2. http://www.own3d.tv/CCPGames/video/907979

      Delete
    3. Here he is in all his glory - http://www.own3d.tv/CCPGames/video/907979

      Delete
  2. I'm going to agree with you on CCP Greyscale: he was annoying to listen to, showed up looking kind of disheveled compared to the others on screen and generally just came across as annoying. I was well read up on the crimewatch changes prior to his appearance so I ended up tuning him out and playing BTD5 on my second monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have to agree with this. The one thing Dolan brings more than anyone at CCP is enthusiasm. Especially apparent on day 5, it felt like Dolan was the only one that genuinely wanted to be there. Falcon was staring at his hands the whole day and Soundwave was being his usual laconic self.

      Delete
  3. Does someone know the nationality of Greyscale ? Could be that english is the second language of this dude. At least that would explain why his comments are so twisted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly sure he's er... English :S

      Delete
  4. "If you remote repair someone, you inherit their flags, including PvP, Suspect, and Criminal, at whatever time those flags have remaining."

    Erm. PvP flagwhut? I surely hope this _actually_ means "aggression timer"... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowball launchers... that was the best X-mas gift of all time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't expect the dessie/BC skill split to happen yet and I'd expect more warning from CCP, if just to avoid player whining.

    Fozzie has said it will happen after both the BC and BS ships are retooled. But, he has not yet put up a single thread yet for BCs or BSs on the Features & Ideas Discussion forum, which he has done in the past for all of the frigate and cruiser changes, about 2-3 months prior to the actual release.

    Kudos to Fozzie, btw, for using the forum as it was intended to be used, and for incorporating non-CSM player feedback *prior* to finalizing changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of CCP are Icelandic, so yes, English would be their second language.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dunno about you, but I found it interesting that they didn't even tease us about what was coming in the summer. Soundwave asked just about every guest what was coming up next and/or what they wanted to tackle. Far as I recall, I don't remember a single hint what it would be. Kind of surprising since they pimped POSes pretty heavily as recently as AT10. Really starting to wonder if they've dropped the whole idea after they realized just how much work it would take.

    As to Soundwave and the tourney I'm actually kind of hoping that they retire him as the moderator soon. He's ok at it, but ever since getting his promotion, you can tell its gone to his head. The whole one upping dynamic between he and the commentators really started to grate on me. I think its time for some fresh blood to take a spin at it. Hopefully not an ex-CFC member either, that style of humor is really getting old.

    Spiral had a good run, Soundwave had a good run. Lets give someone else a shot who isn't MBIII...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What did people think TIERICIDE meant?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That video is quite amusing. CCP Arrow deserves an award for his acting. He actually sounds scared when Guard mentions the unified inventory system: "It will be much better! I promise!"

    I lolled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually poke fun at people but CCP Grayscale really needs to drink de-caff drinks. He was talking at about 1000 words a minute - hard to understand him...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If T2 ships are no longer vastly superior to T1 ships, then perhaps the demand for T2 ships will decrease. If so, tiercide functions as a quiet Technetium nerf.

    ReplyDelete