Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Suspect flag

Read this.  It's from an e-mail that I sent to a CSM member earlier this week.  Initially, I was going to stay fairly quiet about it in public for a bit and see how things played out over the next few months.  But it kind of sums up my feelings on Retribution:
CCP has been pushing hard toward new EVE players. Every single little feature in Retribution is either aimed directly at new players, or aimed at giving new players the ability to hurt veteran players (bounty hunting, turning Suspect flags on for can-flippers, etc.). Though they've been spinning and spinning to try to sell these features as veteran player features (and they are, somewhat), this release is really pushing for brand new players.
Don't get me wrong.  Retribution is turning out to be a really well-done expansion, in my opinion.  But it's not aimed at who you think it's aimed at.  Is this a bad thing?  No, not at all.  Quite the opposite, in my opinion.  But CCP has to tread carefully.

Now go read this.  It's an interview with the newly promoted CCP Unifex.  In particular,
CCP walks a fine line between satisfying veteran players and newcomers. The last three expansions, Retribution included, have focused on polishing existing features - that is, getting them to a state CCP is happy with.

But veteran players have called for new features to be added to Eve to combat what some believe is stagnation. Lander promised new features will be added to the game in 2013, but stopped short of revealing what they are.
Needless to say, I'm going to have more to say about this in the next couple of days.  But there's a couple of blog posts stacked up in front of this that I need to get published.  I've been holding back, but I think I need to go into robo-blogger mode for a bit...

6 comments:

  1. GO, GO, ROBO Bloger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suspect that its a fairly obvious marketing effort by CCP to ensure that any DUST players who are interested in EvE don't have to suffer the 'learning cliff' or at least have to get themselves concordookened by pressing the wrong button!

    I agree that generally its an excellent expansion - lots of good ideas and fixes and iteration on old systems that were either completely broken to begin with (Bounty Hunting) or in dire need of fixing (ship balancing).

    I think EvE is probably in the best state its been in years and having a stable position to introduce new players and in the future introduce new systems can only be a good thing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever this unnamed CSM member writes, the fact is that 90% of Retribution consists of iteration; the polishing and updating of features that were already in the game. That is absolutely not something you can sell to new players, only to veterans. If someone tells you about a game that is 10 years old and says: "You have to try it now, because you know, it has only the old stuff it has had for years, but the old stuff is now less awful!", would you run and try it?

    If there is spin from CCP it's rather in the opposite direction: Trying to promote an expansion to new players that has very few actual new features in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jester's quote was his own words to a CSM member, not a CSM member writing to him.

      Delete
  4. YAY! Robo blogger mode activate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Unifex's comments explain the NDA'd Summit topics. ;)

    ReplyDelete