Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Celebrating the nation

Siesmic Stan over at Freebooted has put out another blog banter that I wanted to respond to:
I would like to invite every participant to nominate their peers for whatever awards you think they deserve. Let's celebrate the best and the worst of us, the funniest or the most bizarre, the most heroic of the most tragic of the past year. They could be corpmates, adversaries, bloggers, podcasters, developers, journalists or inanimate objects. Go nuts.
I've already done that to some extent, but on reflection, I decided that I should expand my thinking a bit.

As I've written already, most influential EVE player of 2012 was Raivi aka CCP Fozzie.  That post also has what I felt were the ten most important events in New Eden in 2012.

But I felt the most important contributor to the EVE community in 2012 was riverini.  Love him or hate him, his EVE News 24 is the first major website that thousands and thousands of us learn about.  He's had lots of challengers -- and challenges! -- this past year, but always managed to put out an interesting, entertaining product.  Competition (see below) only caused him to step up his own game with very positive results.

"Could have destroyed the game and didn't" recognition from me goes to The Mittani.  Here's a guy that was almost literally thrown under the bus by CCP in 2012.  Whether you think he deserved the punishment he got or not, I don't think anyone would have blamed him if he'd gone nuclear on the game and on CCP.  ~10058~ could have become a meme that could have wrecked CSM7's credibility, but didn't.  He could have second-guessed everything the CSM did, and didn't.  He could have expanded Burn Jita into a continuing and brutal attack on the game itself, and didn't.  And somewhere in there, he managed to sponsor and launch a new EVE news and opinion website.  In short, Mittens proved the old Darius JOHNSON meme that Goons are "not out to destroy the game."

My choice for CCP developer of year?  CCP Veritas.  Though he was pretty quiet during the back half of the year, in the first half of the year, his work on CCP's lag-fighting efforts and efforts to expand the game's scope were outstanding.  His two presentations at Fanfest were the best done by any dev there, and his quirky, upbeat, and positive spin on EVE is inspiring every time I see him speak.  More from this guy, please.  He could and should be the face of the deep technical side of the game.

Ship of the year?  Tornado.  They were ubiquitous, particularly early in the year.  And they were so effective that by the end of the year, nobody wanted to fight them, no matter how they were fit.  ;-)

Module of the year?  Ancillary Shield Booster.  Likewise, this was everywhere.  Other than guns and a Damage Control, it felt like it was the most-fitted module at both PvP tournaments in 2012.

PvP story of the year?  Volley damage.  Last year it was Logistics ships and how suddenly everyone had the skills to fly them and fleets didn't undock without them.  This year, it was looking for ways to negate the logi, whether through e-war, neuting, or the most popular strategy, just blasting ships down before logi could even lock them, much less rep them.  I've already talked about the PvE story of the year: FW button-orbiting.

Most focused blog this year was The Nosy Gamer.  It isn't the sort of blog that you visit every day; he's very very focused on EVE's botting activities and other related low-lifes.  As a result, it's a blog that rewards more occasional, longer visits.  And I did that a lot this year...  Nosy Gamer does such a good job with this topic that I had no need to cover the topic myself.  If you want to know how I feel about botting, go read his stuff.

Blog that I read obsessively even though I disagree with it a lot of the time: Poetic Discourse.  It's sort of the antimatter version of Jester's Trek.  It's even black text on a white screen.  ;-)

And finally, my favorite blog of the year?  I had three of these in 2012.  In the early part of the year, it was Malefactor, Marc Scaurus's blog.  His stuff was always interesting, well-reasoned, and well-written.  But around the May/June timeframe, he almost-but-not-quite stopped blogging to be an important guy at themittani.com.  Then from June through Septembmer, it was Diaries of a Space Noob, which I really got a big kick out of for reminding me of my own EVE early days.  But the post-count over there has also dropped off considerably lately.  Which left September through December, when my favorite blog of the year was... the aforementioned Poetic Discourse.  Yeah yeah, I disagree with what Poetic Stanziel writes a lot of the time but I always get a kick out of his choice of topics, and he always leaves me with something to think about.

And isn't that what a good blog's about?  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'll take four months of the year any day. My post count did drop off as the game became less than a day by day experience and more a week by week experience. I also had a few more RL issues on the go. Hopefully it'll pick up as I start to shoot more stuff.

    Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, funny thing... matter and anti-matter... Jester and Poetic are my two favorite bloggers.

    How about you two get together and both run for CSM? By supporting each other, I'm certain you'd both lock down a seat each and get a lot done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about the game. If I am on the CSM, I should be learning game mechanics on the job.

      Plus, I don't like the whole "give out my real-life identity" to the crazies of EVE thing. I'm cool with CCP knowing who I am. Not so cool with 200k people knowing who I am, especially since I am polarizing.

      Delete
    2. After Mittengate and how that bled into his real life in threats...

      I dunno, the name thing was one of those things I expected to be brought up about the CSM to be changed. But it wasn't.

      Granted Mittens is a special case in a lot of ways, his name was always known, even before CSM6.

      But the rest of them... I don't care. Well, other than Trebor. Finding out he was one of the founders of AnimeEigo was a serious meta geek moment.

      Delete
    3. Where's the like button?

      Delete