Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fit of the Week: Scythes

I thought about doing another PvE fit this week, but instead I'm going to do a more general fit: an shield rep Scythe.

[Scythe, General]
Damage Control II
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
EM Ward Amplifier II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Conjunctive Ladar ECCM Scanning Array I

Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Medium Shield Maintenance Bot II x4
Warrior II x1


A few months ago with the help of my alliance-mate Namamai for the fitting, I sounded the alarm about this ship being potentially over-powered.  Our calls for a nerf joined other calls on the forums and the ship's somewhat ridiculous stats were adjusted downward.  It now requires much more unnatural action to wedge more than one large repper with a MWD on this T1 hull, for which I'm thankful.

As a result, what's above is probably pretty close to an optimal roaming Scythe.  This is a fit that can be used both in PvP, and with just a couple of adjustments in PvE as well.  Fair warning, though: the fit is super-tight and will require excellent fitting skills to make work, including Shield Upgrades V.  The benefit of these high fitting skills is that you'll be left with a ship that is cap-stable while running its MWD and its three reppers.  If you don't have the fitting skills to make this fit work, your next move is to remove one of the meta Cap Power Relays and replace it with a Power Diagnostic System II.  This will solve the grid problem that you're likely having and will even buff your tank a bit but you will no longer be cap-stable and will have to closely manage your capacitor in longer battles.

The highest meta Cap Power Relays have the advantage of using less CPU than T2 and are as of this writing cheaper than T2 as well.  Tank is provided by a DC2, Invul, meta LSE, and a passive EM hardener to deflect laser damage.  An ECCM is also provided to protect against jamming.  If you don't expect to face a lot of jamming, fit a Cap Recharger there instead.  That will further bolster your cap issues, particularly if you had to make the modification in the previous paragraph.  Trading the ECCM for a Cap Recharger not only makes you cap stable but that and the PDS are the only adjustments you need to make to make this a fine PvE Scythe.  Such a ship is handy for bolstering shield tank for new L4 missioners.  On MWD, the Scythe itself is quick enough to mitigate rat damage or avoid it entirely.

On a Scythe, three medium reppers of this type regenerate 187 raw shield HP per second which is then adjusted for the resists of the target ship.  Unlike the Scimitar which does not receive a rep boost amount bonus, the Scythe does.  As a result, three Scythes is the equivalent of two Scimitars, and this is the calculation you should use when facing enemy Scythes.  Repair range is somewhat reduced: rather than the 71km of a Scimitar, Scythes have an effective range of 66km.  Scythes are also 15% quicker than Scimis and are much more agile.  Their tank, however, is about half that of a properly fit Scimitar.

Overall, even with the grid nerf you're left with a quite effective rep cruiser.  Their quickness and agility have also seen them frequently used on frigate roams though they will be a second or two slower than the frigs when aligning and do not get the Scimi's warp bonus.

Still, there's one more option that I would be remiss not to mention: start with the basic fit.  Remove Nano, replace with Co-Proc.  Change out the mids for an AB, two Invuls, Cap Recharger, and Sebo.  Then remove the medium reppers and replace with two larges instead.  You're left with this:

[Scythe, Go big]
Damage Control II
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
Co-Processor II

10MN Afterburner II
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Conjunctive Ladar ECCM Scanning Array I

Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
[empty high slot]

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I


It's scary thin: only 12k EHP or so.  And it's not particularly quick: 800m/s.  But it repairs 250 raw shield HP per second and it does it at 92km range... which is better than the typical Scimi's 230 at 71.  And it's cap-stable.  If you can ensure control of your engagement range, this is a perfectly viable option.  And there's just enough grid and CPU left to fit a small gun and enough drone bay space for whatever self-defense drones you like.  And no unnatural actions are needed: you can use the standard medium repper fit under normal circumstances and refit to this one as needed.  Just thought I'd mention it.  ;-)

Next week, I think I'll post the Exequror fit that prompted me to build some Medium Remote Armor Repper IIs.  Happy repping!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

7 comments:

  1. Hey what are your thoughts on fitting the large shield transporter fit for more buffer over resists? I ask because I feel at 12k EHP it's even a relatively small volley will punch through the shield making it die even if another scythe might otherwise be able to keep it stable. Something like this is what I had in mind:
    [Scythe, 2 LST scythe fit, buffer]

    Power Diagnostic System II
    Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
    Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
    Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
    Damage Control II

    10MN Afterburner II
    Conjunctive Ladar ECCM Scanning Array I
    Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
    Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script
    Cap Recharger II

    Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
    Large S95a Partial Shield Transporter
    [Empty High slot]

    Medium Ancillary Current Router I
    Medium Ancillary Current Router I
    Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

    It's got far worse resists which will make it a touch painful to rep however it's roughly in the middle of your two fits for EHP making it's buffer a touch less painful to work with.

    You could also lose the LSE and AB then put in a MWD and cap recharger, this would let you control range more but I would prefer a mid fit at this point because it makes the EHP all of 10k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice alternative. It just can't do anything else. I considered the likelihood of a smart pilot being volleyed at 90km fairly unlikely which is why I went with resists>buffer. I'd be more worried about getting caught by a bunch of frigs and drones.

      Either of our fits is going to get punched through by two Oracles, so there's no difference there...

      Delete
  2. "Next week, I think I'll post the Exequror fit that prompted me to build some Medium Remote Armor Repper IIs."

    Is that when your batch comes out of the cooker? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no. Mine came out of the cooker this past weekend. ;-)

      Delete
  3. for PvE fits, would deadspace reppers make sense?

    eg Gistum C-Type Medium Shield Transporter can be had for under 6mil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my take. Tested on a few T1 cruiser nullsec roams. Must say it performs admirably, though it may be a bit technical to fly. It's exceptionally fast, which allow you to quickly pull off gates and stay safe on grid, while keeping inside 66km of your gangmates. It can take a few licks as well, and using Warriors will enable you to force off some tackle and kill EC drones. Only downside is that at some point you will have to go get more cap charges.

    Damage Control II
    Power Diagnostic System II
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II
    Overdrive Injector System II

    Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
    Large Shield Extender II
    Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
    Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
    Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

    Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
    Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
    Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter

    Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
    Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
    Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

    7x Warrior II

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use the large rep versions exclusively. Shield and armor.

    The extra range makes a huge difference in survivability, since the T1 logi's just don't have the tank of the T2 logi's. Snipers are the biggest threat, but we don't see many of these.

    We swap the rep drones for ECM and combat drones, for defence against frigs and drones. We have been testing web drones, as well - they actually aren't bad for slowing down frigs enough for our DPS ships to pop them before they can reach our logi's.

    ReplyDelete