Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hats, rings, and biases

A movie critic that I follow sometimes prefaces all of her movie reviews with a set of biases: opinions she had walking into the theater that might bias her in favor of or against a particular movie.  That way if she gives a positive review to some wretched piece of junk whose momentum stops dead every time the music starts, you know that it's in part because she's a huge fan of the original musical.  She was likely going to like it even if it was wretched.  It's an approach that makes a lot of sense, and helps the reader draw their own conclusions about what she's writing.

Having started my second read-through of the CSM December Summit Minutes and starting to outline some blog posts around it, I think that it's only fair to go ahead and confirm a "bias" I have since that bias is going to influence those posts.

It's currently my intention to seek a position on CSM8.

I've been thinking long and hard about this, and in particular reviewing the reasons that I decided not to run last year.  They were very good reasons, and all of them still apply.  When I eventually decided not to run last year, I made it clear that I made that decision because the reasons for me not to run outweighed the reasons for me to run.  In particular, I pointed out that:
  • I felt CSM6 as a group had done a good job;
  • lots of people whose work I respected from CSM6 were running for re-election and I didn't want to take votes away from them;
  • at the time, I was the only blogger really watching and commenting on the CSM's activities; and,
  • I didn't want to lose my freedom as an independent observer of CCP's and the CSM's actions without a good reason to do so.
This year, though?  Almost none of those things apply.

Individual members of CSM7, such as Alekseyev Karrde, Hans Jagerblitzen, Trebor Daehdoow, and Two step in particular, have done good jobs.  Yes, I think that even when I've crossed swords with them, when I thought they made bone-headed decisions.  As you know, I can think two contradictory things at once, no problem.  Others -- this list includes Elise Randolph and Kelduum Revaan -- might have done good jobs or might have not done good jobs, but have been so freakin' invisible to the players it hasn't mattered.  And as a group?  As a group, I don't think CSM7 has been successful.  And quite frankly, I have to put that down to a failure of leadership.  Seleene has not done a good job as CSM Chair.  Whether you call it lack of activism as I do, or being too close to CCP as others do, CSM7 as a group has been pretty quiet, passive, and reactive.  That's one thing, and I'll have more to say about this topic presently... the next post, in fact.

Second thing?  CSM7 members are coming out of the woodwork to say how ready they are to be out of there, and that started with the ones I thought were doing good jobs.  Hans and Two step?  Confirmed gone.  Alek?  All but confirmed gone; people have told me he's said so in public, but I can't find it.  Trebor hasn't said one way or another, but he started this term saying that he felt like it might be his last.(1)  In fact, not a single member of CSM7 has yet confirmed they're running again.  That leaves the very scary prospect that the CSM7 members that do run for reelection will be third-stringers at best and Darius III at worst.

This year, I've been pleased to see how many bloggers have stepped up as CSM watchers like myself.  Poetic Stanziel is the most prominent, of course, but lots of blogs are keeping track in one way or another.  There would be quite a bit of -- *cough* -- poetic justice in that if I win, I'd be in the same position The Mittani was in when CSM6 started.  I'd have a prominent blogger who has every reason to be skeptical about me watching my every move.  ;-)

And finally, there's a good reason for me to risk losing my status as an independent observer: I could blog and write and contribute to the CSM's communication strategy from the inside and in so doing actually ensure that CSM8 actually, you know, has a communications strategy.  When the CSM7 election started, it seemed assured that with Mittens at the helm there would be no problem in this regard.  Who could have possibly guessed things would crash so hard?

And even if half the things I want to write would be NDA'ed, I could write them and them file them away anticipating the end of the NDA.  And there'd be fun things I could write about that CCP couldn't NDA, like what it's actually like to be on the CSM, the process, the meetings, what all of you out there ask me to do, et cetera et cetera.  I don't think output around here would suffer.

So yeah, I'm running.  Again.  I'll have a thread up in Jita Park in a few days time and kick off a more or less official campaign starting in February.  Those of you who disagree with this decision may begin bitching at me... now.


(1) I personally hope it is not.  If he runs, I will likely follow my CSM6 voting strategy: all of my votes but one for me, the last vote for Trebor.

70 comments:

  1. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...

    Good luck. I think you would make an excellent CSM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who told you Alek intention is hearing it verbally from Alek himself. He told several people at DC Meet up what he is planning on doing including myself when I directly asked him about it. I just don't think he's made it public yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well , you'll have my vote. Been reading this blog for almost as long as I've been playing EVE and its always a go to site for me. Good luck with your campaign man!
    - Serptimis

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am jack's utter lack of surprise."


    Good luck sir. o7

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bend my bow for ya.

    (Army of Darkness quote. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

    Yes, if you run for for CSM, barring some other stellar candidate, I'll be tossing my four votes your way.

    -Davion

    ReplyDelete
  6. About Goddamn time Jester!!

    Of course now I'm torn between the WH candidate and you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe being on the CSM will slow your blogging down to normal insane blogger levels! I can only hope.

    There are some details above that are highly suspect from a truth standpoint, but generally I think you should run and I'll probably support you in doing so. Goodness knows, I'd be the best CSM member ever, but sadly I'm not even close to being able to do that right now.

    So good luck and godspeed. And don't forget us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rix we can butthope! And yes Rix you would be AMAZING... (now take your pills, sit quietly and watch Lucy reruns...)

      Ripard, BRILLIANT!!!! This this and THIS! You have my vote, my blog and my sword...

      TurAmarth

      Delete
  8. Well running for csm 8 is great and all you will probably have my votes (unless you tell some cry baby to go kill himself and then tell everyone about it). I kid I kid. But really csm 8 for me is too long off. I want to know what csm 7 is doing...or not doing which is probably more likely. Where are the tldr posts from the minutes! You have had like 32 hours with them already!

    Jester for President 2013

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, buddy, look forward to the process :)

    In regards to Aleks, I've talked to him personally and he confirms he is not running, but does plan to endorse someone. He has also confirmed this to Xander Phoena of Crossing Zebras, who posted it on Twitter. That's two source confirmation ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he confirmed it to Mike Azariah, too. But he hasn't come out and said it himself, on the forums, on Twitter, or on his blog. I can't count it as official until the does that.

      Delete
    2. He has now

      https://twitter.com/grrusso/status/292177063446716416

      Best of luck with the elections Ripard. I hope you take me up on this http://crossingzebras.com/post/40699271518/electioninterviews

      Delete
    3. There we go! Perfect, thanks. And sure, carve me out an interview slot on a Saturday in February, don't care which.

      Delete
  10. Um... what platform can you possibly run on and win?

    That said. Good luck. If Hans isn't running this time chances are my votes will be tossed to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secretary!

      He'd have the minutes done *before* the summit.

      Delete
  11. Not yet sure I'll vote for you.

    I'll count you being active and knowledgable as a plus.

    I'll count you being way to fond of confrontation and hyperbole as a minus.

    Convince me that you know that as a CSM member you can't carry torch and pitchfork regularly. Then you may get my votes.

    Torch and Pitchfork might be the tool of an extreme emergency (Monoclegate), but during this CSM's tenure, for example, I don't think it would have been appropriate.

    Well, good luck, any which way. (Mind you, a weak field might make me change my opinion on hoping you get on even carrying a torch, if you promise not to light it immediately).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very presumptuous to think you hold the same sway as The Mittani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he was saying that. I think he was saying that if he makes it onto the CSM, there will still be prominent bloggers who will be keeping an eye on the CSM just like when Mittani was Chairman.

      Delete
    2. He's saying that with the amount of criticism he's dished out, people would be all over him in much the same way, ready to fall all over the slightest perceived mistake or misstep.

      Delete
    3. Read it again, powers. He's not claiming he could beat your daddy in a fight.

      Delete
    4. Powers, this ain't GD,bro. Plus Jester's got people from all over Eve as opposed to just the ~alliance~.

      Delete
    5. Outside the CFC the Mittani is not particularly relevant any more. He barely writes ever, Burn Jita is a fading memory and we will never see him in game.

      Delete
  13. You and Malcanis should run on a :words: ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such an enormous amount of respect for Malcanis. Barring six demi-gods running against us, he'll be one of my endorsements this year.

      Delete
    2. Likwise, Mr Teg.

      Delete
  14. If I had votes to give, you'd get them all. I can't wait to hear your perspective from the other side of the veil. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have peace on those terms. THE KING IN THE NORTH!

    ...actually no, according to that QOTW, you're Danaerys.

    Khaleesi ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I have to braid my hair?

      Delete
    2. Does this mean Rote is your army of eunuchs?

      Delete
    3. :mental shudder:

      Just as long as we don't see him naked in a fire . . .

      Delete
    4. You are not worthy of a braid, you have won no battles!

      Delete
  16. Yeap my votes would be going your way. You are gonna have a tall job ahead because you know you are gonna be measured by your own standards, but i dont doubt you are gonna do a good job

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would vote for you based solely on your writing skills. You blog about stuff I know nothing about, you hold my interest on modes of play I'll never touch, and you make me get it. I think.

    If your only job on CSM was as Universal Translator, that would be reason enough to install you. I suspect you'll also be a positive influence, and a good advocate for all of us.

    I voted last year for the hell of it. This year I have someone to vote *for*.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Voted for Hans the last round and have no regrets on the matter. Will provisionally be voting for you unless Darius really ups the amount of isk he promises for each vote

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great news to hear and I look forward to voting for you, we don't always agree but I feel you will be a great man for the job and you get my 10ish votes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Got my vote, I hope youre the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I for one doubt that you'd be able to maintain the same level of public analysis and scrutiny of EVE, and CCP in particular, shackled by an NDA.

    Having said that, you'd have my vote for CSM8. Your blog might suffer, but I think the overall benefits to the community would more than make up for it.

    I criticized you last year for waffling on the decision to run or not, but to be honest if you'd decided to run for CSM7 you'd have had my vote then as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the NDA the CSM minutes contained the following statement from Hans: "The NDA is vague and can be used to swat any of us down pretty much at will."

      I had previously discounted Ankh's complaints about CCP pulling up some ancient NDA violation to get rid off her as a desperate attempt at saving her reputation (http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/36345084#36345084) but in the light of Hans' claims it seems that the concept of a critical CSM member who stays just short of breaching the NDA (as Jester seems to imagine himself) is simply not feasible.

      Delete
    2. The real shackles will not be NDA stuff...it will be how long Jester decldes to keep the peace and not rattle CCP's chain with his blogged opinions about their fuckups and clueless behavior where it concerns the game or treatment of the CSM.

      Delete
  22. "All right guys, Jester said it. He announced his intention to run. We can all start our own campains now.

    - all four people you mentioned are probably not going to run"

    C'mon, you gotta acknowledge there is a possibility they are just trying to put some pressure on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  24. finally, a small gang pvper I can get behind!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cannot say that Im surprised :). You got my votes too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now I'm torn between a worm hole candidate and you...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll be voting for you, you'll get a seat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good luck Jester!

    I'm sure that with you & Mittani, the mouth and voice of EVE we cannot fail to bring some drive and passion back into the future of EVE!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You've got one of my votes, Malcanis has a second. Vote number 3 is still up for grabs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. "I don't think output around here would suffer."

    Damn it, had hoped to get you silent by voting you into the csm! :P
    Just kidding. No promise yet but as long as there is no other promising candidate you will get my votes and most likely those of my corp too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do believe that the sun are shining a little bit brighter today, thanks, you'll get my votes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. WH resident here. You have my 3 votes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It will be interesting to see how your public behaviour will or will not change once you're on the other side :)

    You'll have at least one of my votes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can see CCP rewriting the NDA now, just in the hopes of reigning you in a bit. You will have my votes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. sydney roughdiamondJanuary 18, 2013 at 4:10 AM

    I'll vote for Garth!

    ReplyDelete
  36. JAYARR KNEW YOU COULD DO IT RIPARD JAYARR VERY PROUD

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very glad you've decided to run! About time mate! You'll get at least one vote from me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I’m probably older than most Eve players (52) so I probably have a different perspective on the game than most. I’ve been reading Jester’s blog for about 2 years now and during that time he has taught me, entertained me, pissed me off, and confused me. But most of all he has inspired me! I actually left the game and un-subbed 5 accounts. But after a few months I found myself missing his blogs so I re-subbed and started playing and reading again. There’s not many bloggers that have his talents for spinning a good yarn or discussing a major point. He obviously does his homework. And because he does his homework I know he’ll be more than prepared for whatever role he may play on the CSM. Good luck Jester – you have my vote(s). I salute you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You know, the fact that you will be NDAed is actually a pretty good platform. "Vote for me, there will be so much stuff I can't talk about, that I will be forced to work on more guides instead".

    ReplyDelete
  40. I may resub a couple of accounts just to get those votes in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jester you have my vote but...

    I truly get the feeling one you "See the Elephant" of CCP for what it is...its going to ruin your overall game experience and eventually, this blog as well.

    I'll vote for you with my 4 characters, but I truly think this will be your own personal EVE "high-water mark"...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Who's this Jester fellow anyways?

    It's Garth for CSM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. "The Ditanian Fleet" armour incursion channel is now endorsing Ripard Teg for CSM I got it up in our MOTD

    are we the first community to give such an endorsement?

    ~DarthNefarius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's quite an honor, thank you! And yep, you are.

      Delete
  44. I think you'll almost certainly get my vote. I don't know everyone who's going to run yet though, so it'll just be an 'almost certainly' for now.

    Are you going to put your aims up on your forum thread? I'd be quite interested to see what those are.
    In the meantime I'll plug you to my corpmates.

    ReplyDelete
  45. At the end of the day you'll get my vote(s). Don't screw up your blog posting. You've got a good thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great news, good luck Ripard.

    ReplyDelete