Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, February 28, 2013

February junk drawer

Welcome to the junk drawer, part of a series of monthly posts in which I dump all the stuff that I couldn't develop into full blog posts this past month.

---snip---

I've got about a 50% batting average with EVE Online bug reports over the years: about half of what I submit gets tagged "Attached to a defect" which means that it's going to get fixed sooner or later.  But about another third get tagged "Filtered."  Over time, I've come to learn "Filtered" means "Yes, we acknowledge that this is a bug in the game, but it's not hurting anybody and we can't be bothered to fix it."

My favorite "filtered" bug of my own: I found a way to train two characters at once on the same account.  But the process for doing it is super-obscure.  I only found it due to a fluke, and while it's quite easily reproducible, it's not anything that any of you will ever want to reproduce yourselves.  The downside of the exploit is bigger than the upside.  I almost wrote a blog post about it this month, then I decided that by a fair appraisal, CCP could judge it as me encouraging someone out there to violate the EULA, so I decided not to publish it.  ;-)

---snip---

I'm still compiling a list of the "first things" I'm going to ask of CCP devs if I'm elected to CSM8.  I mentioned one of them last month: I'm going to ask CCP Fozzie why all ships have to accelerate to warp at the same rate.

I'm going to beg CCP Punkturis or someone on her team to change the directional scan distance text entry field into a distance slider or maybe just include a slider as an option that sets the number.  Under the slider, little ticks for 1m km, 100m km, 1AU, 5AU, and 10AU.

For CCP Optimal or someone on his team, please save my watch list on the client somewhere and if I disconnect and rejoin the same fleet within a few minutes, try to reestablish my watch list.  It's so annoying to have to rebuild it manually.

And finally, I'm going to ask CCP Soundwave to either abolish clone timers or create a skill that shortens them, and also create a second tier Infomorph Psychology skill so I can have more jump clones.

I'm not a junior game developer and if I go to Iceland, I'm going there to represent players.  But it ain't gonna stop me from putting in a few requests of my own.  ;-)

EDIT (1/Mar/2013): Two quick notes on this section.  In the original version, I mentioned CCP Guard instead of CCP Soundwave.  I regret the error.  For some idiot reason, I sometimes confuse these two men despite what they look like and what they do being completely different.  It probably has to do with them being the two most frequently filmed CCP employees.  Also, I was reminded that Punkturis is soon to go on maternity leave so her request will have to go to a member of her team.  ;-)

---snip---

Since I'm running for CSM anyway, I decide to apply to be an EVE Online Community Fan Site.  And I'm happy to report that I was accepted.  My independence is going to be under some debate anyway while I'm on CSM8 (if I am), so I decided I may as well benefit from a few extra visitors from that page.  And I'm not the only one to jump on the band-wagon lately.  I was informed some months ago that the Community team was going to clean up that page and then expand it.  They're fulfilling that promise!

---snip---

A few quick ones, all unrelated and short:

My favorite fix in the most recent Retribution patches is silly, but important to me: the Corporation hangar load time fix works!  Loading time of my industry corp's hangar dropped from nine seconds to just under three.  Obviously, I'd prefer sub-second response time but three seconds will do.  For now.

Know what the dumbest mechanic in the game is right now?  The fact that the Safe Log-off button has conditions under which it can't be used that have nothing to do with your flags.  You can't use the Safe Log-off button if you're in a fleet, you have active modules, or you've just logged on.  That is dumb, dumb, and dumb, respectively.  Here's a thought: when I click the button, shut off my modules, kick me out of the fleet that I'm in, and add my session change timer to my safe log-off timer.  It's a pretty fair bet that if I've clicked the Safe Log-off button, I want to... you know... log off, and I'll accept the consequences of turned-off modules and being bumped from fleet.

And finally, a correction of sorts: for the Syndicate Competitive League, I pointed out that the info graphic provided by CCP Fozzie was about seven seconds behind Apathetic Brent's stream of the matches.  I suggested that maybe delaying Brent's stream by seven seconds would synchronize them.  But it turns out that wouldn't work: since the data coming from Fozzie is already seven seconds behind, adding a seven-second delay to Brent's stream would just add that seven seconds to Fozzie's stream, too.  Duh.  I should have thought of that.

---snip---

And that's all for the junk drawer this month.  There were a couple of other items, but now that I look at them, I think they do deserve to be full posts, one about ships crews and one about something that's always bugged me about the New Eden communications network.  Look for those in March.

33 comments:

  1. The safe log off conditions are annoying and dropping fleet automatically is good idea. Switching off modules on the other hand isn't easy to program because you can't switch off modules. You can stop them from autocycling and they stop working after their cycle finish.

    Now what should safe logoff do? Turn off autocycle on all modules and start counting down after the last one deactivated? This case a Sieged dread will sit there for 4 minutes with hardeners off. Be smart and cycle hardeners/reppers until the siege module will shut off within their cycle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why on earth would a sieged dreadnought be using the safe logoff button to begin with?

      Delete
    2. ^This. I think everyone should be just fine with that dread just sitting there without hardeners/reppers.

      Delete
  2. Regarding Ship warping. There was a post from a dev detailing it to some degree. Basically they would have to redo the warp code to allow for dynamic warp speed accelerations.
    Modular Poses have shown us how eager CCP is with redoing Code :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe some anecdotal junk:

    Here's something I've been noticing in Incursion fleets as a Wing Comander lately:

    I been geting boosts!

    It may be becuase I hanvn't bothered assigning a Fleet Commander booster lately ( maybe its the FC fall through that is the bug?) because I been doing alot of FCing trying to bring newbies into Incursions & just trying to get fleets up fast instead of MAXing boosts & everything( there's also the trick where you revoked the WC's booster& assign it to a squad member thats OGB but its LOT of trouble & used to be pretty buggy) .

    I hope it gets fully addressed (fixed) before boosters become required on grid.

    Are small gang roam fleets still not getting boosts flowing up the the WC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karbox DelacroixMarch 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

      If you are getting boosts, it is because I haven't found you yet.

      Delete
  4. "...why all ships have to accelerate to warp at the same rate" - probably because of the fancy visual when a fleet wraps all together? Otherwise you will be warping alone all the time (or sometimes with a mate or two).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleet warps could offer the options of:

      (a) Warp together, ie. at the warp speed of the slowest ship in the fleet; or

      (b) Warp at best speed, ie. all ships warp at their maximum speed and arrive separately.

      Delete
    2. Fleet warps already alter everybody's maximum warp speed to that of the slowest member (ahh Fleet warping with Freighters...).

      Delete
  5. Hey, Ripard, some posts ago you said you were about one third done discussing the meeting minutes. I suppose more important topics appeared and took priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm not done with the Minutes. There will be more posts about them in March. I'm about 55-60% done.

      Delete
    2. Did you notice they finally added the Dust session minutes?

      Delete
  6. Greetings! Any chance that you could add to your list of things to ask/push CCP if elected, about a counter to AFK-Cloaking? There's been many ideas in forums: kill local, add fuel to the cloak, timers to ensure persoin is not afk, etc. I don't know what the right solution is, but maybe if it's actively pursued it can be found? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing for a counter to AFK-Cloaking implies that AFK-Cloaking is somehow harmful and needs to be curtailed. Sure, people log in, cloak up, than go do other things, and everyone of us have cloaked up for a bio before, but this a far cry from AFK isk-making or anything that's actually disruptive and in need of valuable development resources to "fix".

      However, what WOULD be useful is replacing local with a different form of intelligence gathering, an item that is (thankfully) already firmly on CCP's radar. I think its only a matter of time before this happens, not a question of IF it will happen.

      Delete
  7. I too like to ask Community Developers to design and code how clone timers work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah. Why do I sometimes confuse CCP Guard and CCP Soundwave? They look nothing alike, they act nothing alike, what they do is nothing alike. Probably has to do with the fact that they're the two most frequently-filmed CCP devs. Thanks for the pointer, even if you put it in the most sarcastic way possible. ;-)

      Delete
  8. "I'm going to beg CCP Punkturis to change the directional scan distance text entry field into a distance slider or maybe just include a slider as an option that sets the number. Under the slider, little ticks for 1m KM, 100m KM, 1AU, 5AU, and 10AU."
    Do this and I will have your baby =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm okay with the distance entry in D-scan* but would it be possible to change the angle slider to be non-proportional or a drop down. Even on the finest mouse setting I can't reliably distinguish between 5 and 15 degrees.

    Mike
    * Though I did study astrophysics in college so I'm always surprised when people can't convert km to AU in the their head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh Mike please do share how one can easily convert km to AU in there head. I always wondered this myself. I just recently learned how to easily calculate squared numbers in my head... for example.

      69^2... round the number being squared to the next highest tenths place i.e 70

      Then find the difference between 69 and 70 ( 1 ) and subtract it from the original number being squared. i.e. 68

      The difference is then added and squared.

      Continuing with the example:
      70 x 68 + 1^2 = 4760 + 1 = 4761
      or like I did in my head...
      (5*68 + 2*68)*10 + 1

      Now adhere to the Quid Pro Quo!

      Delete
  10. "please save my watch list on the client somewhere and if I disconnect and rejoin the same fleet within a few minutes, try to reestablish my watch list. It's so annoying to have to rebuild it manually."

    And the corollary of that - if somebody on my watch list disconnects and comes back within a few minutes, can they be added to my watch list again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "You can't use the Safe Log-off button if"

    Actually to add to that - if I do have a PvP flag or something, then also just extend the safe-logout timer until the flag has expired rather than rejecting the safe-logout request completely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Out of curiosity, what is the downside of training multiple characters on a single account? no need to answer if doing so would reveal the steps to reproduce the defect - just curious as to how it could at all be bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hint: it costs more real money than training one character per account.

      Delete
    2. What? are you suggesting that the billing system is some how linked to the number of characters you can train?

      ....possible as-yet-untapped revenue stream for CCP?

      Delete
  13. A lot of confidence there about being CSM even before the elections, but you are the robot from the future who can write the pants off themittani site and all its army of drones. So CMS chair seems very fitting. Although your audio interviews are unimpressive to say the least. Maybe you should stick to writing and leave politics to douchebags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now now James 315...no need to say that.

      Delete
  14. "I'm still compiling a list of the "first things" I'm going to ask of CCP devs if I'm elected to CSM8."

    I hope you are also going to ask them to fix the NPC drop rates for meta modules, which currently makes T1 modules and T1 module manufacturing mostly useless (except for use in building T2 modules, and for the 10 people who don't have any access to high sec).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would pay a lot of actual money to be able to re-assemble or re-package items in a POS.

    Why does CCP hate wormhole people.

    On that topic, you should write a post (or series of posts) about your opinions on areas of the game that are not your normal constituency. I'd like to hear how you'd adddress WH issues, incursion issues, industrial issues even though none of those are your 'base'. (I know, you do industrial stuff and have spoken on incursions).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Off on a tangent here, but how do you feel when people call you the robo-blogger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind it. It's actually a pretty common comment about me. I have a huge amount of endurance. My occasional nickname in high school was "the machine."

      Delete
  17. The Features and Ideas discussion forum exists for the purpose of suggesting changes to the game. No need for you to be a CSM in order to ask for these things.

    There's even a project to write down all the things. If you want to help you can post in the F&I threads linking to previous incarnations of the same idea over and over again. For example reducing the cooldown on jump clones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the devs don't always seems to be reading the F&I threads started by players. Most of the threads get no CCP response. So, it is too much like putting an idea into a suggestion box at a company. Often, these suggestions just end up in the waste basket, without any consideration.

      CSM is more of an "in your face" solution. At the very least, you know that the idea has been actually been voiced and heard by someone at CCP.

      Delete
  18. Another major item for your CSM issue list should be how devs respond (or don't respond) to player feedback on the forums, esp. in feedback threads created specifically for dev blog articles.

    Some devs, such as Fozzie and Punkturis, do a great job of constructively interacting with players on the forums. They respond often, even if just to acknowledge that they *are* reading the posts, incorporate good ideas/feedback from the players into the changes they are making, and take time to explain why some player ideas won't work or can't be done right now. And, they continue to follow, and respond to, the thread for weeks/months.

    Other devs do a great job of antagonizing players by their inadequate forum skills. They respond only to a few posts, and, after the first few days, go for weeks/months without any indication that they are even reading any of the player posts. When they do respond, it is usually in a negative fashion, criticizing or simply ignoring the player feedback, and often implying that the devs always know better than the players.

    This is something that causes a lot of unnecessary player rage, and something that CCP can, and should, fix. Teaching better forum skills isn't an overwhelming investment in money/resources.

    One excuse I've often heard in response to this complaint is that some devs just don't have the right forum personality (Internet armor) - that is understandable, but, then, CCP should not let those devs write dev blogs. At the very least, dev blogs could be authored by the entire team, and, then, the team members who do have good forum skills can do the followup on the threads.

    What do you think, Jester?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.