Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fit of the Week: Ad-Venture-ous

Though I've tagged additional posts "FOTW", this is the 100th official Fit of the Week.  So I thought I'd do something a little fun.  By the way, if you're curious, out of my 100 official FOTWs, 25 were PvE, 57 PvP, and 18 "support", which are haulers, mining barges, scanning platforms, and the like.  Racially:
  • Amarr, 21;
  • Caldari, 21;
  • Gallente, 22;
  • Minmatar, 21;
  • Other, 15.
"Other" includes pirate faction ships... and ORE ships, like the Venture.  And for fun, I thought I'd share three Venture fits I've come up with.

The first is pretty traditional:

[Venture, Mining]
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Shield Extender II
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Modulated Deep Core Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal II
Modulated Deep Core Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal II
Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I /OFFLINE

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Mining Drone II x2


This one does three things well: mines, tanks rats, and runs away when seriously threatened.  You could load a couple of light drones into the drone bay if you wanted to, but seriously... why bother?  If you're hard-pressed, just run away.  Anything that you can kill with two light drones, you can tank.  Anything you can't tank, you can't kill with two light drones.

If you want to ninja mine in wormholes, warp to a safe, take your MWD off-line, then put your probe launcher on-line and start scanning.  If you don't need a probe launcher, there's lots of other options for that utility high slot.  An Auto Targeter I is a decent choice: it allows you to lock two more targets.  In the meantime, you can mine as well as half a Mackinaw, which ain't too bad for a frigate that can warp off in four seconds if anyone hostile comes close.  Take it into null, w-space, or low-sec.

EDIT (14/Feb/2003): I forgot to mention: this same fit also works well for w-space or null-sec gas mining.  Just replace the mining lasers with Gas Harvester IIs and replace the low slot mod with a Damage Control of your choice.  Thanks to several commenters for pointing out this oversight.

Option two:

[Venture, Salvage Corvette]
Damage Control II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor II
Medium Shield Extender II

150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
Small Nosferatu II

Small Anti-Explosive Screen Reinforcer I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Ionic Field Projector I

Hobgoblin II x2


This one's just fun.  ;-)  It's no damn good for attacking other frigates, and it probably isn't all that great for tackling anything else, either.  But it's quick, agile, and tanky enough to act as a funny initial tackler.  If you need that NOS, something's gone terribly wrong for you.  The Anti-Explosive rig is intended to ward off some of the damage from Warrior IIs, which are this ship's nemesis.  Keep up your transversal if you tackle in this boat.  You're not quite as thin as an EAF, but you're pretty thin.  One good hard shot from a Zealot will pop you.  Still, it's a fun little tackler that does the basics.  And you only have to train Mining Frigate I to fly it.  Anything more is wasted for this fit.

By the way, that targeting rig is unfortunately also pretty well required for this fit.  Without it, you can only lock at a little less than 19km.

If you thought that was goofy, you'll love this one:

[Venture, Cyno!]
Expanded Cargohold II

Medium Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II
Warp Disruptor II

Cynosural Field Generator I
XeCl Drilling Beam I
XeCl Drilling Beam I

Small Cargohold Optimization II
Small Cargohold Optimization I
Small Cargohold Optimization I


Yup.  This one can do exactly what you think it can do.  ;-)  And yes, that Expanded Cargohold II is necessary, as is Cynosural Field Theory V.  As is at least 16 million ISK for that T2 cargo rig (at cost).  I just thought I'd let you know it was possible.  ;-)

Yeah, I'm sorry.  I'll do something more serious for FOTW 101, I promise.

12 comments:

  1. The venture has a gas mining bonus. No gas harvesting fit? How does it compare to a gas fit BC? Yes, I am too...ummm...busy to EFT it myself! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I did look it up:

    [Venture, Gasser]
    Damage Control II

    Medium Shield Extender II
    Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
    Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

    Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
    Gas Cloud Harvester II
    Gas Cloud Harvester II

    Small Core Defense Field Extender I
    Small Core Defense Field Extender I
    Small Core Defense Field Extender I

    Mines 160m3 where the old Moa lost a high utility slot and mines 150m3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bit of a shame that you need all that just to get a cyno to work on it

    Also I think a blaster + scram and mse venture is great for killing other frigates, you can always run away in a 1v1 lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these fits, I used the procurer fit you listed on a roam. Solo'd a merlin who put a 40 mil bounty right after he died :D

    later I realized that it was the same guy who had been invited into the fleet and we warped him off to a safe and ganked his naga in low xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I was hoping for a Frieghter FOTW for the 100th ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [Venture, Mining]
    Damage control II

    Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
    Medium Shield Extender II
    Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

    Gas harvester II
    Gas harvester II
    Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I /OFFLINE

    Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
    Small Core Defense Field Extender I
    Small Core Defense Field Extender I

    FTFY
    now just find a c5/6 and some vast/instrumental/vital sites
    lot more money then ore, and with the DCU you might actually survive a bomb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ninja into a WH, its better to get the gas instead its worth more than ABC. The crystals for ABC is skill intensive too. plus have a cap penalty.

    and those Modulated Deep Core Miner II - they are worth 6 mil each. you may as well not fit a frigate pinata - just go with miners II.


    Its a three ship minimum deal.

    venture: gas harv II x 2 + proto cloak
    rest to flavor

    mammoth
    cloak, shields, cargo expanders
    (remains near the entry WH - watching for trouble) carries 28,000m³ with cargo rigs

    covert op frig (your racial prefer)
    you're the ladar scanner, and watch dog with combat probes afterward.

    just ensure that when jetcanning, you are between 2000 and 2500m. for the range to be able to cloak or still be able deposit. if mining ores. gas harv are extremely short ranged at 1500m.

    also note that any rats will pop mining drones like soap bubbles. especially with the new AI. or sleeper AI. ECM drones could be a better option. although I prefer RR drones when in a fleet like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want to ninja mine in a wormhole, don't go after low-value minerals. Arkonor? It's there but it really does not pay well. Not compared to gas.

    Go after gas! Not all the gas, just the valuable stuff.

    Here's a fit:
    [Venture, Gas Miner for Newb]
    Emergency Damage Control I

    Medium Azeotropic Ward Salubrity I
    Incremental Magnetometric ECCM Scanning Array I
    Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

    Gas Cloud Harvester I
    Gas Cloud Harvester I
    Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I

    Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints I
    Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints I
    Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints I


    to be continued...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...

    This thing takes very little training -- less than 4 days. (Spend a few more to buff some skills.) Yet it gas mines almost as well as any ship in the game (and can tie any ship if you train Mining Frigate to level 5). Total cost is about 7m isk. So you're not risking much. And yet mining wormhole gas (the good kinds) can be worth 20m per hour. More in higher class wormholes.

    With a bit more training time, you can get Gas Mining V so that you can use Gas Miner IIs, for a substantial increase in mining rate.

    How to use it: find a wormhole. Take this thing in there. Safe up. Turn on the ECCM for the duration of the time you are in there -- this makes you harder to scan down with combat probes. Not impossible, just harder. So you have to use d-scan and keep moving. But it should prevent anyone inexpert from scanning you down quickly, and it is the warning from seeing combat probes on dscan that you need. If you see such probes, bug out.

    You also want to turn on your damage control and adaptive invulnerability shield, the entire time you're in wspace. Ventures have a ridiculously good capacitor; use it.

    Deploy your probes and search for signatures. You want ladar sites, and you want to select which ones. There is one site -- Ordinary Perimeter Reservoir -- that has sleeper sentries in it. Ignore this one unless you can bring in a combat ship to kill the sentries. However most ladar sites in wormholes don't spawn any sleepers until ~30 min after they are instantiated (which they are whenever they are first warped to). So, you can mine them for that initial period. You're "ninjaing" not just against the people living in the hole, but the sleepers!

    Once you've got a ladar scanned down, look it up on eve survival (or just refer to this summary), to see which kinds of gas it has. You won't have time to mine both gas clouds (unless, again, you can bring in a combat ship which can kill the sleepers). So look up the prices on eve-central (here's a helpful link), and determine the better of the two types of gas. Got it? Keep it in mind.

    Now warp to the site at 100. You don't know whether anyone has warped to it yet, and you don't want to plunk down in the middle of already-spawned sleepers. Make a safespot close by as you decelerate from warp. If sleepers are already spawned, you can't mine it; bug out ASAP before they kill you. Otherwise, good. Bookmark the better gas cloud. (By the way, you did test out gas mining in highsec first, right? So you are certain that you've got gas clouds showing on your overview?) Warp out to your nearby safe and back into the just-bookmarked cloud.

    Lock the cloud and start mining. Orbit the cloud at 500m -- being in motion does not affect your mining but it makes you much harder to gank and also harder for the sleepers to hit you when they spawn. Now sit back and d-scan. You can keep probing for other ladar sites, too. Just remember to hit dscan after each move of the probes.

    After about 20 minutes you should pay a bit more attention because the sleepers will be spawning soon. When they do, they will spawn in the middle of the site (at least on those I have run), so you will initially have some distance. But they can come fast, and the larger ones can hit hard at a distance. So be ready to GTFO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Think about a follow-up post with old FOTWs listed and linked. Something like "Bushido Rokh, PVP" with a link to the relevant FOTW post. It would help those of us new to PvP to fill out our hangers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehe! Great post! About the gas harvester though. We use ventures exclusively now, and the residents of Fountain, Vale and Cloud ring hate us for it :D We learned that, when angry people get angry, your miming frigate won't tank a Rapier... So all ventures have a cloak! Some gas clouds do extra damage that can two shot the shown venture fit, so we have the solution of fitting like this:
    x2 gas cloud harvesters,
    x1 prototype cloak,
    x2 regolith medium shield extenders,
    x1 invul II,
    x3 field extenders,
    and a micro auxiliary power core in the lowslot to make those MSE's fit :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these FOTW guides Jester. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.