Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, February 8, 2013

Nice problem to have

So, we got some rather surreal news today.  Or at least it felt surreal to me: Fanfest is sold out.

From time to time, you might notice that my output around here goes down a little bit or I might even (gasp!) miss a day in my posting.  Usually, this means that I'm on a business trip to somewhere.  I don't talk about them because I don't talk about my work on this blog.  The only reason I mention it now was because I am on this business trip and it's kind of germane to this story.  Right before I left home, I was making the final family logistical arrangements to attend Fanfest myself this year.  But there wasn't going to be time to finish making those arrangements before I had to leave so I set them aside thinking, "OK, no problem, there's still plenty of time.  I'll take care of it the Saturday after I get home."  My plan was to take screenshots of my various travel arrangements and post them on the blog as the "announcement" I was coming.  I wanted time to have a little fun with that part of it.  But again, there was plenty of time, right?  So I started my business trip.

And then this morning, logging into one of my accounts at the hotel I'm staying at to add a skill to a queue before my first meeting this morning, I was a little nonplussed to see an announcement on the log-in screen that there were only 100 tickets to Fanfest left.  "Er well, I have to go to work..." I thought to myself, "but maybe I can make my final arrangements remotely when I get back to the hotel tonight?"  Only that plan was also a non-starter because apparently only a couple of hours after CCP posted that announcement on the log-in screen, those final 100 tickets sold out.

So congratulations to those of you who are going to Reyk for this year's Fanfest... but I guess I'm not going to be joining you.

And I can't help but feeling really strange about it.  I honestly feel a bit like Bartleby and Loki, trying to buy a ticket to New Jersey only to be told that New Jersey is sold out and that next time, I shouldn't "underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State."

Wait... what?  Come back here and say that again!  WallyWorld is closed?!

Congrats also to CCP, because this is surely a nice problem to have, but it's kind of an odd problem to have too, isn't it?  It made me honestly curious how the upper limit of Fanfest attendees was set.  Hotel rooms in Reyk?  Airplane capacity?  Number of people that the Harpa can accommodate?  A little bit of research netted me the information that the latter seems to be the bottleneck: the Harpa can accommodate 1800 people.  But the advertisements for Fanfest centered around joining "a thousand" EVE fans for Fanfest, which now makes me curious about how many Fanfest tickets have been sold.  That information is obviously a bit tougher to come by.  Oh well.

Anyway, looks like I'll be watching the stream again this year.  That makes me sad.  Maybe I'll buy a BB gun and hold John Candy hostage?  Nah, guess not.  I'll see about starting my planning a little earlier next year.

22 comments:

  1. next year you will be on the CSM some of us hope, so its payed 4 isn't it? or is that just the 2 other trips the csm makes 2 meet the Dev's? (summer and winter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't write off Fanfest 2013 just yet. I would not be surprised if you received a private email from CCP stating that some "extra" tickets are available and would you like one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time believing there is a hard cap to this event. I would bet if u wrote a compelling email to someone at ccp that is involved in fanfest Im sure one more person wouldn't hurt. Ccp nor Iceland are big enough or cool enough to be exclusive. Well unless their limited number's of yurts really is the reason for limited tickets in which case to bad. I was kinda hopeing for a "ya jester got drunk and went on a rant about pushing carebears from syndicate and said how he told some dude to kill himself. It was awesome." ...sigh oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this your way if saying that you didn't really want that FanFest anyway? I had my airfares, accommodation & FanFest booked mid-January. It takes all of ten minutes to book all of that.

    Having said that, if you already have flights and accommodation booked: http://community.eveonline.com/news/newsFromEve.asp?newsTitle=fanfest-is-now-sol

    Contact fanfestsupport@eveonline.com with your flight/accommodation details at the ready. It looks like they might have some reserve tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moose should have told you at the door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't figure out a way to work this quote into the blog. ;-)

      Delete
    2. It's actually, "the moose out front should have told ya"

      Delete
  6. /cough fansite?
    /cough media/press account?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really wish they'd switch back to Laugardalshöll as it has a capacity for 5500.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jag har aldrig förstått varför dem inte har fanfest i olika länder. Jag hade åkt direkt om dem hade en fanfest i Göteborg. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: I've never understood why they do not have fanfest in different countries. I had gone directly if they had a fanfest in Gothenburg. =)

      And there are player gatherings in other locations, but those are organized by players. CCP sends attendees to a lot of them. For lots of others, the player organizers set aside part of their budget to fly a specific number of CCP employees to the events. I know that EVE Vegas does the latter.

      Delete
  9. I am pretty certain you are entitled to a free ticket as a fansite operator. Email or petition the community team and check with them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd contact them directly if i were you. I bought my ticket just after Xmas-Only this week has the RL Isk to book the rest-saw that post-went to book a package...sold out as of yesterday-so I was having a panic attack about having to swim there & sleep on the streets lol. Still, hotel & flight now booked, Alliance panel to plan! Hope you can work something out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel, I saw that '100 tickets left thing' so I signed into account management to get one. My brother had also been entertaining the idea of going, so I asked him. I already had a ticket and my credit card info entered, and he said sure he wanted to go, so I went back to add another one, and when I back-clicked it said sold out, so I missed them by, literally, mere seconds.

    Hopefully some kind soul at CCP will give you one for all of the new-player guides you've written! Though that may be seen as some sort of favoritism or ~endorsement~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, they should give you a free ticket, if they don't I shall forever make tham down as unappreciative cheapskate chumps who don't understand the value of a well followed website on their game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I'm e-famous blogger Ripard Teg and I'd like to apply for my complementary press pass, please."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to run events (never at this size, but still). We always had spare tickets available for "VIPs".

    Whether it was smart of you to announce that you missed ticket deadline is a different story. If now you show up, everyone knows, CCP did you you a favor. But then, maybe you had your ticket all along? Just want to score some points with your future voters? /me reaches for tinfoil

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1,000 people, huh? That's a pretty significant portion of the actual :player:-base, right? Say what, about 40% or so? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rip, honestly... You didn't wanna go right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well maybe its better this way... I have a scary feeling this year The Mittani is going to get drunk on JaegerMeister again this year & go on a murderous rampage & gank all the CSM's, CSM's elect, & CCP hamsters after he strangles Montrolio who'll be sitting next to him in the CSM Q&A thingy while they joke about the battle of asakai & NOTEC... :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know EvE Vegas will be more fun anyway

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, so now we're all done making *sadface* at the remote possibility that Jester, famous blogger and likely CSM 9 representative, will not be at FanFest 2013 for shake-hands...

    ...now you go mail to community management to pick up your complimentary press-pass.

    ReplyDelete