Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Enough with the preliminaries

Hi everyone, I have a request.  As you all know, to pass from the preliminary stage of the ballot to the final ballot, you need 200 "endorsements" on the CSM web voting application set up for this.  Well, on Friday, CCP Dolan quietly revealed that there had been a small number of "false positives": people who were told that they had 200 endorsements and really didn't.

One of those it turns out, was riverini, editor of EVE News 24.  He's understandably a little annoyed, because he thought he had passed the threshold, told his supporters that he had passed the threshold, and told his supporters that they didn't have to endorse him any more the same way I did.  Now he's been told that he hasn't passed the threshold.

Let's make no mistake here: the primary system as it is is pretty freakin' dumb.  The main election is going to decide who is on CSM8 and who isn't, and anyone who can only pull together 200 votes isn't going to make the cut regardless.  For that reason, I opposed the primary process and have said so in public here and in other places.  But anyone who is willing to do all of the work and make the sacrifices that come with the initial application process for running for CSM8 should be allowed to... you know... run for CSM8.  More candidates is better for the process, simple as that.  More candidates bring in more voters, more voters bring in more awareness, and more awareness is only to the good of the CSM, CCP, and the game we all love.

For that reason, if you have endorsements remaining, I encourage you to send them riverini's way.  Here's the link to do so.  Whether you agree with his views or not, I think it's the right thing to do.  He deserves a full shot, the same as me.  And if there is virtually any other candidate who has not yet hit their 200 or that were also sent "false positive" e-mails, please feel free to make yourselves known in comments.(1)  I support virtually every candidate getting past this first stage and moving on to the main event.  At that point, let the players decide.  It's how the system should work.

EDIT (30/Mar/2013): Oh, and for those asking: I wasn't one of the false positives.  I received a second e-mail from Dolan saying that I was qualified for the main election, as did most other candidates.

EDIT (30/Mar/2013): I have learned that Sgurd Battersea is also below the threshold, and might choose to withdraw from the election because of it.  Please endorse him as well if you have the means to do so.


(1) I'm not all that chuffed about Fon passing or not passing the 200, but perhaps even he deserves to get his day in front of the players.  I'm certainly content to let EVE's players decide his fate, and I'm quite confident they'll decide his fate properly.  That's how EVE works, and how the election should work.

16 comments:

  1. That shit is not easy to find unless its specifically what youre looking for. No big banners or anything that even remotely catches your eye to go vote. That is terrible.

    OT, I gave 2 of 3 of my endorsements to him, only cuz I was too lazy to log into the 3rd.

    Voting should be done in game, via an email or pop up that gives a check mark and accept button to the guy you want to go win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case Sgurd Battersea received a false positive ... send him some endorsements too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I sent all 3 of my endorsements your way. Now if you have faith in ccp when they tell you once you pass 200 even if people cancel you'll remain in the real election. I can always go back and cancel my endorsements for you and try to get riverini in. Though he won't be on my final ballot unless he has significantly changed since debating mittens. I agree this 200 endorsement method is dumb.

    ~Kethry Avenger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen to Riverini's interview with Xander Phoena. I thought he did quite well.

      Delete
  4. Given that people can *change their endorsement any time*, it doesn't matter even if one really had passed the 200 vote threshold! They could fall back below it. They need to give real time data or none at all.

    If I'm goons, I stuff 200 votes in reverini's ballot box right away, then pull them with 5 minutes left in the primary for this very reason.

    Partial information updates DURING the election, with changeable votes? what the hell were they thinking??

    My money: CCP decides that due to :problems: all candidates are allowed into final vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like people are saying if you ever cross 200 votes you're in even if people switch away from you.

      Thus, the voters get as many votes as they feel like.

      This is even less well thought out than the fw debacle.

      Delete
  5. Jester any speculations if these 'false positives' are due to people endorsing him past 200 then unendorsing him?
    How does one get a false positive vote anyways where there some electronic hanging chads?

    ReplyDelete
  6. FON's Jita Park announcement has been threadlocked & due to poor timing over a holiday weekend won't get addressed until after an investigation that'll last until Tuesday when peeps at CCP arn't on vacation.
    I see it very tuf for him to get the endorsements when he's under investigation people'll probably think they're wasting thier endorsement & throw it on someone else

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn I hope this doesn’t turn out to be another “dangling chads” fiasco with recounts. I can just see CCP Soundwave squinting to try and figure out the voter’s intent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol & if their intent was to grief or game the endorsements?
      Is it gaming if after your candidat passes the 200 count then switch to the next guy to make your endorsements 2X to 35X?

      Delete
  8. CCP Dolan has stated that once a candidate reaches the 200 vote goal, he qualifies for the main event -- even if he later falls back.

    I too was concerned by this turn of events (an honest mistake) and as I had an account I hadn't used to vote, used it to endorse Riverini this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Done, used my PI alt account.

    This is an intensely bizarre election system. The very least they could do is iron the wrinkles out without punishing the candidates who get caught in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, I held out on the endorsement stage because it is a farce, but I'll go a and give Riverini a lift since you are determined to run against him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While it's a fuck up I wish upon nobody, riverini's post is unbecoming of a CSM: don't give up already, proofread what you post, don't post while emotional (sure, time is a factor here, but let someone else post/proofread), ...

    Anyhow I just gave him my remaining endorsments, because that should be decided by the elections, not a technical glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Well, on Friday, CCP Dolan quietly revealed that there had been a small number of "false positives": people who were told that they had 200 endorsements and really didn't.

    Let's make no mistake here: the primary system as it is is pretty freakin' dumb."

    Ah, this brings back fond memories of the disaster that was the NEO auction. Anything that involves CCP Dolan is going to be "pretty freakin' dumb", by definition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it *is* similar to what happened with the NEO auction, isn't it? And, what a screw up that was.... :P

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.