Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I have news from the world of Gozer

The CSM primary is now live, with 35 candidates!  Now that there's an official candidate list, I can work on my final endorsement list.  For the purposes of the primary, though, I and everyone else need 200 votes to move on to the main election starting next week.  You can vote for me in the primary here:
http://community.eveonline.com/community/csm/candidate?id=5519550

EDIT (26/Mar/2013, 1630 EVE time): And now it's un-live again.  Turns out it wasn't working with Chrome or Internet Explorer, only the in-game browser and Firefox.  gg, CCP.  So, there will be another day of delay.  I've suggested that we just skip this step and go straight to the main event.

EDIT (26/Mar/2013, 1730 EVE time): And it's reported to be working again.

Click the bright yellow "Endorse" button and that's it.  I'll update this post as soon as I pass 200 "endorsements" so that you can endorse other candidates if you wish.  I myself hope that all 35 candidates pass this stage and there's really no reason why that shouldn't happen.

As I said, there are 35 candidates and we now officially know how many from CSM7 are running: two.  That'd be Trebor Daehdoow and Greene Lee.  Trebor seems a pretty easy lock to be re-elected.  Greene Lee?  That seems quite a bit trickier.  He ran as a straight bloc candidate from Against ALL Authorities last year, and didn't do much of anything to expand his audience all year.  -A- is down to about a quarter of its former self and if Greene Lee doesn't get himself a few allies, he's likely to be a footnote in this election.

The rest of the "undecideds" from CSM7 aren't running, and that includes UAxDEATH and professional CSM member Meissa Anunthiel.  The full list is in my post from January.

Other interesting and/or surprising candidates or non-candidates:
  • riverini, editor of EVE News 24 is running again.
  • The official TEST candidate appears to be Banlish; but,
  • Sort Dragon is also running (he's the new leader of the HBC).
  • progodlegend is the official Nulli Secunda candidate (the first time they've had one).
  • Unforgiven Storm is "running as an industrialist" but has a Goonswarm ticker.  It isn't that Goons aren't industrialists; it's more that Goons spend a lot more time blowing up industrialists and I'm sure they remember.  ;-)
  • Bloggers Roc Weiler and Mike Azariah are running again.
  • As is Korvin from CSM4 and CSM5 (he'll deserve a serious look).
  • Marc Scaurus had to pull out of the proceedings, unfortunately.
  • And finally, it's definite that The Mittani isn't running.  I was curious if he'd surprise us all.
Anyway, the full candidate list is up, including statements from all candidates.  Let the voting commence!


EDIT (27/Mar/2013): I have now met the endorsement threshold and will be in the full election.  A big thank you to everyone who has supported me thus far!  On to the main event in a week or so.

If you were holding an endorsement waiting to see if I made it this far, please feel free to give that endorsement to someone else. I fully support all 35 candidates moving on to the main event. Everyone who has been willing to go this far should be given that opportunity.

36 comments:

  1. Doesn't seem to be working yet... Tried Chrome, then iexplorer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Endorsed.

    (It should probably go without saying, but you need to do this through the EVE browser.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worked fine with Firefox.

      Delete
  3. Just gave you +7. It'll be interesting to see how this new system works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. trying to endorse you with chrome fails. had to go back to firefox to do it

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Endorse button, it does nothing.
    (if you are using IE or Chrome)

    Confirmed by Devs: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=217834&p=2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just an FYI - apparently the voting system is borked if you are trying to vote outside the game using IE or Chrome. Firefox seems to work ok. The in game browser works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I endorsed Jester, Because he's the hero New Eden deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll troll him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark neckbeard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where's James315 on the list? Oh yeah: http://declarationsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/3.36.13-James315.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After proclaiming on Zebra Crossing that was he was not interested in flight to Iceland, he turned around and used this has his excuse not to run. All of the nay sayers are pointing to CCPs selection of the candidates getting a in-person face-time as method for CCP to ignore candidates they dislike. Does everybody in this game see a half empty glass?

      Delete
  9. Hey Jester since you can unendorse candidates what's to stop people going over & under the 200 benchmark repeatedly?? :D Enjpy the rollercoaster

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have endorsed Jester and have played my small part in moving him further down the road to disappointment and despair and ultimately winning Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another interesting find in there: One of the CSM4 alternates, T'Amber, is in under a different player name ("apricotbaby").

    Also, what surprised nobody: No James315.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm waiting to see his endorsement list. When he gets his 200, I'll wait till the next guy does, then the next, until i'm running out of time. Only one vote. Almost positive Ripard will make it. Want as may on his ticket to get thru as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly think Trebor can sit this one out and rest his back some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just Ripard 5 votes out side the game using IE. It appears to be working now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. +3 from me (all I have)
    it appears you can cancel endorsements too, let us know if we can starting shifting some of our votes :)

    do you see a count of the cumulative endorsements or just a message when you reach 200?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A pro. A god. A legend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One issue with switching endorsements once the 200 is reached, is that the number of endorsements received will be made public for the main stage and candidates with higher numbers may perhaps attract potential voters who want to get their vote counted (even with the new system which I suspect may not be fully understood this first time around)

    There could also be the potential for mass voting for a candidate by a bloc to make the candidate feel secure and throttle back on efforts; only to un-endorse enmasse, switching their votes at the last minute to take the figure under the 200. Rather tinfoil hat but then this is EVE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These switching endorsements seem to be a potential snafu: ok a candidate gets 200 then gets a mail saying so; announces it then those 200 go ahead & unendorse & endorse the next guy... what happens another e-mail saying he's been unendorsed or just a surprise later when he's no longer a candidate?

      Delete
    2. Or is the system set up so if a candidate gets past the 200 endorsements threshhold then they are in even if they later get unendorsed under 200?

      Has any1 go a confirmation Evemail yet? I'm surprised you don't have over 200 already

      Delete
    3. I see from your forums you got confirmation Evemail, let me be the first one to say CONGRATZ I know you got quite a few endorsement from my community... Now on to the BIG TIME
      PS: I'm surprised Malcanis has not got the Conirmation too

      Delete
  18. Hope you make it past this silly primary. All my endorsements are going to others, but you will probably be on my voter's ballot once the actual election happens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got my endorsement, Jester. And, I'm not going to be playing switching games.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How telling of Ripard's core supporters.

      Delete
  20. You got 4 of my (many) votes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sala 4 CSM 8 <3

    Seriously, There's a second test candidate, Awol Aurix (love your intel map m8), and there's another PL candidate, Sala Cameron (irc.zulusquad.org #kpop <3). Malcanis is also one of the HBC candidates.

    Poor reporting, Ripard, poor reporting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For election purposes, they all get classified as "candidates that don't need any help from me." ;-)

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to a bloc controlled CSM and its obsolescence. I thought these blocs were run by intelligent people? I guess I have over-estimated their ability to view the game as a whole. It is one of high-lighted failures of CSM6.

      Delete
    3. I'm surprised the bloc's didn't put up more candidates TBH

      Delete
    4. "I thought these blocs were run by intelligent people?"

      No, they are run by people who have no RL.

      For reference, please refer to the South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft" (Season 10, Episode 8).

      Delete
  22. Hi There!

    I just wanted to add somewhere this:

    could you please make a post about the NDA?

    I've just read http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2009/07/26/on-ndas-and-confidentiality/ and would very much like to read your oppinion about the NDA in general, and the NDA of CCP in particular (if I'm not mistaken you have already signed one with Dust).

    So far you have my votes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's funny... I just made the mistake to spend quite some time to check out the candidates. So I filtered bloc-candidates (don't represent me and those worth a seat don't need my vote to get it), trolls ("I'll get you naked in CQ") and others not saying anything worthwhile ("the voting system is flawed, so just vote for me").

    That left me with less than 14 candidates to vote for, even before considering what their platform is. So what are my choices besides
    * letting my vote potentially go to waste by ranking maybe half of 14
    * filling up my list with wormhole or bloc candidates (I filtered wormhole candidates same way as blocs) which may not have a platform I like but seem good for CSM?

    Seriously, the problem with blocs is not that the voters are more organized in elections. The problem is that there are not enough reasonable non-bloc candidates to represent the rest of the playerbase if they want to vote.

    This is again an CSM election where there is no candidate for me, so I'll vote for the least evil among the candidate (no offense, Ripard, while I love your blog and you are high on my list, our playstyles don't have much overlap, so you don't count as my first choice either).


    PS: It'd be really cool if - on the main election - beside your endorsements you could do a link list of any endorsements you can find from other candidates. While I hope most would be quite obvious, I am curious if there are some suprises waiting. Also they could be more telling what a candidate really thinks than those dozens words of lip service on the voting site.

    PPS: And before anyone suggests it as alternative: I don't feel qualified to run for CSM myself for several reasons which don't matter here.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.