Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

KOTW: Northern Coalition Reloaded

Kill of the Week honors this week goes to The Retirement Club alliance, that's for sure.  But I can't quite decide which I like better: this Tengu...
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16899252

or this freighter.
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=16948172

Both kills make me smile for different reasons.  Let's call the Tengu KOTW since it's almost heroically bad and features my old friends SpaceMonkey's Alliance.  That Tengu has to be the worst ratting fit I've ever seen that thinks it's a good ratting fit.  For the reocrd, 100MN afterburners don't work with those low slots or rigs.  It also helps to have Loki links in system and I'll bet money this one didn't.  And those blasters?  Oi.  A plain old boring Heavy Missile Launcher Tengu does more damage at greater range and is far less expensive.  That it was crushed by bombers is a mercy.

But the freighter is fun, too.  A reader was kind enough to send me the story on this one and it's exactly what it looks like: a freighter warping unscouted from moon POS to moon POS.  The gang anchored a bubble at the station, waited patiently for the freighter to head for home and caught him there despite the fact that they weren't even camping their own bubble at the time.  Freighters are slow.  That's the kind of patience and determination that I admire.  Thanks for the pointer!

Both kills make me smile for a personal reason.  Back when I lived in the north, I got my solo PvP jollies by taking a Taranis around and seeing how many camping bombers I could kill, particularly bombers going after freighters in the old NC's logistics chain.  My record was killing four bombers in one fight, a fight that still ranks more than two years later as one of the most fun evenings I've ever had in EVE.  From time to time, I'd invite friends in other frigates along to bomber-hunt.  These Retirement Club gangs would have been just the sort of target I would have loved to see, but I guess NC Reloaded is a bit too busy to defend their holdings.  So I wish TRC all the best in their hunts!


Number of dead super-caps last week: 2


There were 100% more super kills this week than last week, and that started with this Verge of Collapse Nyx on Monday.  EVE News 24 has the full story on this one, including some very pretty art.  Short version, this is one of three VoC Nyxes that have been hot-dropping ratters in Insmother.  So, Red Alliance set up a bait Archon, sweetened the deal to five bait Archons when their one Archon was tackled by an unrelated gang and bingo, a wild Verge of Collapse cyno appears.  Unfortunately, the RA gang only managed to snag one of the two Nyxes that swallowed the bait.  Ah well.  One is better than zero.

Two of two was this Nulli Secunda Aeon, crushed in their new staging system MTO2-2 in Perrigen Falls by a massive Goon/Black Legion armada of attack BCs and battleships.  I'm trying to understand why one puts a T2 Remote Repair Augmentor on a super carrier.  Does that even work?  EFT says it doesn't.  There doesn't seem to be an official story on this one that I could find, but there is a video.  Between that and the cargo, it looks like the pilot was in the process of moving in to the staging system, jumped at warp range from a Nulli staging POS, and the poor bastard was caught and bubbled there.  A sub-cap battle then ensued to determine the fate of the Aeon but it looks like Nulli wasn't willing to commit any more supers with a 4-1 or more disadvantage of numbers in Local (I wouldn't have either).  Result: dead Aeon.  That might not be the real story, though.  Anyone know the real story if this is wrong?

11 comments:

  1. I have a very lame question: how did you really hunt bombers? Weren't they just sitting in cloak waiting for you to get bored and leave? Certainly they wouldn't engage a taranis willingly. Or did you try to catch them on jumping through gates (but why would they jump in the first place)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No trick to it. You just need bait. A big freighter will do. I got most of my kills by sitting at pounces just off-grid from jump bridges. Wait for a freighter to jump in and align, wait for the bomber(s) to decloak around it, dive in.

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure Blaster Tengu out DPSes a HML Tengu since it does slightly less Dps than a HAM Tengu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Traditional boring HML-fit ratting Tengu does 650 DPS with Fury at 66km. This one can only match that it if fires Void. At 9km. That makes using those ABs problematic.

      He'd have to go six-gun to do more DPS and if he did that he'd lose that 100MN AB.

      Delete
  3. That Aeon appears to have the ability to transform into a Nyx in your last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah. It's because so few of anything other than Nyxes die when it's a super I'm just used to writing it. Fixed.

      Delete
  4. Dinsdale PirannhaMarch 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM

    So Jester, you can get a better handle on this that I can: Since the hard data embargo that CCP has put in place since Diagoras left, there is no way to get precise numbers on the amount of supercaps in the game now. Diagoras posted in late May there were in excess of 4,000 in Eve. Care to guess how many have been destroyed versus how many have been built in the past 9 months?

    That is one of the many secrets that the null sec cartels are having CCP not release. I imagine if that number was released, and someone calculated all the mineral wealth that has been locked into those hulls, plus all the faction/deadspace fittings, the null sec propaganda machine working to destroy high sec industry would take a serious body blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinsdale. As an industrialist in 0.0 space, I can assure you that the (lack of) number of aborted supers would indicate to me another 1000 or so supers were added to that number of 4,000 in the last 9 months.

      With a good 400-500 of those being added to Goonswarm Federation's collection, another 100 to HBC, maybe 50 to PL proper, 50 to NCdot, and another 300 spread out among the other major power blocs of New Eden.

      It's getting to the point where all the Major Tech Moon holders have their super fleet mains sitting in a super, and have an alt trained to sit in a spare super in case the first one gets blown up. I shit you not.

      Delete
  5. The dual prop 10/100mn afterburners are really what sell that Tengu fit as KOTW for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remote repair aug rigs used to work on capital mods, I think it was fixed in Retribution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance at begging CCP for the Luminaire Titan's KM for the next KOTW?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.