Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Alternities

If I'm elected to CSM8, the downside will be that from time to time, the more speculative, connect-the-dot posts around here won't happen nearly as often because I won't have to connect the dots because I'll know where the dots are.  But from time to time today, there are posts that I would love to write but that I can't write today because I don't know the CCP game developers well enough.

Example: when I heard about CCP Unifex moving to his parallel position advancing CCP's mobile strategy, my first thought was "Hm, I wonder who CCP will promote to replace him?"  But almost as soon as I had that thought, Hilmar indicated that CCP would be looking outside the company to fill the position.  In a little insight into how my brain works, that immediately turned the thought in my head to, "Yeah, but it's fun to think about how an internal promotion among one of CCP's existing devs would change the game, wouldn't it?"

Like, if CCP Greyscale became EVE Executive Producer, he would announce with great fanfare one day that CCP considers one PLEX for thirty days of game time to be "OP" and that CCP would immediately be "slightly adjusting" the monthly PLEX subscription rate to seven PLEXes per month.  And in order to maintain consistency with paying subscribers, the monthly subscription rate of EVE Online would also be slightly adjusted to $140 U.S. per month.  Then the next day, after the massive riots that ensued, he would announce a little sullenly that the changes were "just a thought" and "something that CCP was experimenting with, not the true development direction of the game."

Or if CCP Soundwave became EVE Executive Producer, he'd lay low for a short while before suddenly putting out a cackling video where he announced he was changing his name to CCP Karttoon, he had stolen all of CCP's money as well as "twenty or thirty pretty cool development machines that I've had my eye on."  He would then say that he'd been planning CCP's destruction from the beginning, he would be retiring to some beach somewhere, and would be back in a year or so to donate some of his ill-gotten gains to some random Goon somewhere, "if CCP still exists."

Or if CCP Veritas became EVE Executive Producer, suddenly every system in the game would work perfectly and the game would be joyously bug-free and awesome... but all in-game avatars would suddenly have massive curly afros that you couldn't turn off.  And EVE players would be incensed by the trade-off and would riot by the dozens...

Only, that's as far as I got with the concept, because I don't know some of the other EVE developers well enough to really put wheels on this concept.  CCP Punkturis as Executive Producer?  CCP Falcon as Executive Producer?  CCP Dolan as Executive Producer!

Yeah, maybe next year at this time I'll be able to write this kind of post.  ;-)

16 comments:

  1. sugestion, write about 2300 players that has their account banned by 30 days for using warp 0km client modification, like one of my accounts.... at least i already voted on you first.... ^_^.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused... why would you use a client modification to warp to 0 instead of just.... warping to 0?

      Delete
    2. Warp to zero client mods are macros that allows your autopilot to warp to zero instead of the autopilot warping you 12km off every gate.

      The danger level while "slow-boating" is therefore much reduced and you can do such slow-boating while AFK with a lot more confidence about not getting ganked.

      Delete
    3. Seems to me, client modification like that should have got you a permanent ban. Consider yourself lucky.

      Delete
    4. If Jester made a post about people who use client modifications to cheat, I don't think this guy would like it.

      Delete
    5. At the risk of being an ass, I assume the OP wants Jester to support the banned players. Why would a potential CSM want to support players engaging in activities that violate the game mecanics and rules?

      You break rules, get banned, and you want sympathy? I think most voters would support the candidate that supports those bans.

      *shrug*

      Delete
    6. Man, you all understand wrong, i'm just talking about guys been banned, not to him support anyone, if you read my post again, you will see that im not complaining about been banned, but it´s news after all 2300 accounts banned means at least 10% off all players online in week days....

      Delete
    7. Knug Lidi, i dont think like you (obviously ^_^), a warp 0km don´t give you a great advantage after all. If we talk about mining macros or something that give you isk or advantage in fight it´s ok a permanent ban, but warp 0km just give you a less time to move from system A to B, and an exchange put you in a lot more risk, unlike you can think, because you get more and more confident and after sometime you autopilot more expensive things that leads to be a more atractive prey....

      Ok then why dont you (jester) make a post about the bad consequences in game economy by macros and client modifications? but a smart one, with statistics and everything else.... maybe you don´t have the data right? i think you win CSM with a huge distance from the second candidate and maybe have the access of this data... what about a promess of a post like that?

      And Knug Lidi, i´m not so lucky, if i had, i would not be caught or at least my training queue will be training Recon Ship 5 with 19 days left unlike Caldari Offensive System with 16 hours left (and if you ask, yes, my queue keep running, i think that its necessary to keep my time in game running too.... punish the guys, but keep the money flowing, that´s an order ^_^)

      Thanks all and sorry about my english (i´m brazilian).

      Delete
    8. I did misunderstand, sorry! From my perspective, using warp to zero is a big exploit. It removes the risk of large haulers/slow ships on autopilot, and that's bad. Everyone should have to either sit at the keyboard to manage that, or everyone should get to auto warp to zero. When some people exploit that, it breaks a risk mechanic and an active gameplay mechanic.

      Also, I spend to much time manually flying to routes to think it is fair for other to hack the game and get around it. /rant.

      Delete
    9. If you take asdrubal's challenge, I suggest you refer to the work done on virtual economies by Professor Edward Castronova at Indiana University. He did some research and wrote a model showing that botting and gold farming can be very costly to ordinary gamers and cost game companies a lot of money.

      Delete
  2. Executive Producer CCP Punkturis: pink abruptly and prominently joins the list of colors in the official EVE palette, and not just for makeup.

    Every other devblog and press release would be a huge troll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything to make Hello Kitty Rifters a reality!

      Delete
  3. A bug-free EVE, plus everyone gets big-ass afros? That might be an experience worth seven PLEX a month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bug free and fun, but everyone has afros? I am 95% certain the entire playerbase would run with it and be absolutley ecstatic about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My char would certainly look awesome Wirth an afro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if everything worked right, you could color me blue and call me a smurf. I'd take a 'fro any day.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.