Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, May 6, 2013

Fanfest wrap-up

There were lots of little notes, pictures, and such that didn't make it into one of my main Fanfest posts while I was in Iceland that are still kind of amusing, so I thought I'd do a little bonus junk drawer post full of them.  Here goes...

---snip---

The picture at left was one of four primary pieces of art-work inside my apartment in Iceland.  Yes, as far as I could tell, it depicts exactly what you think it depicts.  Iceland is weird.

My apartment was about three-quarters of a mile from the Harpa venue, and about the same distance every other place I wanted to go in Reyk.  If you go to Fanfest, plan on doing a lot of walking.  In particular, a lot of the more interesting places to go in Reyk involve walking up and down a lot of hills so plan for that, too.  I brought hiking boots for my Golden Circle trip, and these turned out to be essentially unnecessary, even in the snow.  The GC destinations either have good walking paths, actual wooden footpaths, or both.

Wireless Internet access in Iceland was invariably massively overloaded by Fanfest attendees.  When I wanted to write, I had to go back to my apartment to do it, and lots of times I was just out of contact from Skype and Twitter entirely during the day.  This is something I'll have to plan for better next year.

Two quick notes about the water: yes, the hot water smells of sulfur but the cold water does not.  This is because there are two different sources for hot and cold water.  I'm certain every Icelandic recipe that involves water instructs the cook to use cold water and then heat up that cold water rather than saving time by using the hot water.  Guess what?  Occasionally, an Icelandic cook skips this step.  It makes your food smell the tiniest bit odd both on the way in and... ahem... on the way out.  The Icelanders don't seem to mind, or maybe they just don't notice.  The sign in my bathroom apartment said that people stop noticing the smell of the water after a few weeks.  I wasn't there long enough.  ;-)

At home, I enjoy really hot water and often I can't get it as hot as I like.  No problem with that in Iceland.  I was there long enough to really appreciate hot hot water even from public bathroom sinks.  The shower in my apartment came equipped with a knob to heat up the shower up to about 40C.  If you wanted hotter water than that, there was a little red button you could push that unlocked the knob and allowed you to use hotter water.  I really came to appreciate that little red button.

---snip---

The EVE VR game being demoed at Fanfest was incredible.  That said, I don't know that I have a whole lot to say about it.  Would I love to see something like this deployed more broadly in the EVE universe?  You bet!  Can I see an easy way to do it?  Nope.  The whole thing struck me as an incredibly fun but incredibly impractical toy.  Short version?  I think we're a few more cycles of Moore's Law away from this being practical or consumer-ready.

---snip---

During the Golden Circle tour, I had the opportunity to sit next to and chat with a long-time high-sec EVE player who had come to Fanfest partially to look for a corp that would help him migrate to null-sec.  After learning his experience and goals, I did my best to point him toward a compatible one.  But I also casually asked him about the CSM election, curious as to who he might have voted for.

Did he vote?  Yep.  But he couldn't remember who he'd voted for.  He did say that he refused to vote for any of the bloc candidates, was mostly looking for candidates that supported newer players, that he eventually voted for four candidates with all of his accounts... but that he also refused to vote for any men running for CSM under female avatars!  Needless to say, I found this last condition really charming.  ;-)

After he shared all this with me, he asked who I had voted for at which point I cheerfully admitted that I was one of the candidates.  "Oh no!" he cried.  "You didn't run as a woman, did you?"  I laughed at the phrasing of the question and assured him that no, my avatar was male, I wasn't a bloc candidate, and I was quite new player friendly.  We agreed that he might have voted for me.  The whole conversation struck me as really funny.

---snip---

Same guy had a classic quote about the current scanning tools (of which he is not a fan): "If fishermen had to use this interface for their fish scanners, they'd never find a fucking fish!"  Hee!

---snip---

I expected to have a lot more to say about the CCP office tour I got on Sunday, but I really don't.  It's just a pretty typical software development company space, full of computers packed way too tightly, the occasional board game, and lunch rooms on practically every level.  I took a couple of fun pictures.  Here's the glass door behind which CCP Dolan (John King) sits...


Now now, stop thinking that.  ;-)

Here's The Wall that you've seen now and again.  It's in front of the reception desk.

Fun fact about all of those posters?  Each one depicts the number of subscribers EVE had at that time... and the number of employees that were working for CCP at that time.  I'm told the Retribution poster had a scratch on it and is being replaced/repaired before it goes up.  This is off my cell phone camera.  I'll bring a better camera with me to the first Summit.

Best part of the office tour for me?  The Art department.  Not only do they have the nicest area in the building, but if you walk alllll the way to the back, there's a little walled off area that shows the list of art assets being rebuilt and the status of each.  Each asset is represented by a post-it note with a little picture of the asset.  The grid itself shows the various stages of rebuilding an asset: rough modeling, fine modeling, animation modeling, rough texturing, fine texturing, and "Jessica", a stage for loading it into CCP's actual test tool, I assume.  Art assets to the left of the grid are slated for rebuilding.  Art assets on the grid are in process.  Art assets to the right of the grid are complete.  To the right were lots of things you'd expect, the new Tempest, the DUST District satellite, stuff like that.  Currently on the grid and farthest to the right was the new Apocalypse showed off at Fanfest.  Stuff to the right of that that was on the grid?  Stuff to the left of the grid waiting their turn?  Not telling.  ;-)  I'm sure that wall is very much under NDA.  But I will say there's lots of fun stuff coming.  If you ever get an office tour yourself, make sure to walk alllll the way to the back of the Art department.

---snip---

And that's it, I think.  Look forward to seeing a bunch of you for Fanfest 2014!

15 comments:

  1. Re: your first bullet point. Iceland gets weirder than that. You should go see the Penis Museum next time you're out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about the penis museum! Didn't really have time to check it out, though.

      Delete
  2. What exactly is that statue?

    It looks like two men being ingested by sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that your CSM, see if you can coax a dev blog from the art team. would be nice to know where they are with the V3, when they think they can turn on the new lighting and their thoughts on turning the Amarr golden color to brown. I know you were a bit disappointed with what they have done to the Guardian too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand why he would not vote for a female avatar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the person may actually be female? I dunno myself I based my first votes on good research... the last few a mixture of what to me was more relavent then thier Avtar's bust/moob size.

      Delete
    2. That would be a good question to ask the guy in question. Counter-question is: why do people chose avatars of the opposite sex? (I know at least two valid answers)

      Delete
    3. I am sorry, but if you really think that participating in Fanfest requires walking /a lot/ (emphasis Ripard, not mine) - then you need to get off your couches and into the outsides more often.

      Delete
    4. I walk my dog a couple miles a day. Walking is no problem for me. That said, it *was* a lot of walking. Harpa to my hotel was a good 20 minutes or so. Harpa to most of the restaurants/bars was another 15, and that was the close ones.

      I personally choose female avatars for my support characters and male avatars for my mains, but that's just a personality quirk on my part. I choose the ladies both because it's an easy visual cue for what I'm doing -- all of my female avatars have a particular look -- and because it's amusing to mess with the character creator options.

      There was an interesting "stat display" at Fanfest that I watched for a while. One of the stats: 97% of EVE players are men. But 72% of the avatars are men.

      Delete
  5. That Evr isn't too far into the future and looks very similar to other games currently being developed, specifically 'Start Citizen' (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/).

    I think games like these are going to be the competition for EVE down the road and while these games obviously don't have the same / any level of social interaction I'm pretty sure they'll have sufficiant multiplayer to be fun with a few friends and much more immersive than EVE is (at the moment)

    It wouldn't suprise me if EVE ends up looking more and more like the Evr demo as the years go by as technology and internet speeds improve latency issues etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ships in the ship hangar have got shiner since patch yesterday btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jester,

    I wanted to find you at Fanfest (as did a few of the ShadowCartel guys) but none of us knew what you looked like!!

    The older chap you spoke to about the CSM voting? He sat next to my wife on the plane on the way out to FF and didn't mention EvE. We met him a few days later in the Scandinavian Bar where he told us about his high sec antics. I pointed him at Eve-Uni as a good pvp starting point.

    My wife and I saw him again at the party on Saturday night where he told us the EXACT same story!! He too thought it was quite funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ain't kidding about the walking! My hotel was waaay furthar away than I would have preffered-going to rent an apartment next time I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This [Photograph] is off my cell phone camera.
    - read that paragrpah without the qualification and you get a "wut?" moment.

    I've been thinking a lot about the EVE VR stuff, trying to predict a direction.
    If EVE fighter jocks has any sense they would be ripping of DUST tech for their flying death machines.
    Wouldn't it be awesome if carrier fighters got to fly in both the EVE and DUST realms? IE send a wing of VR fighters down to a DUST flashpoint for a strafing run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm what is that statue anyway?
    It's lost in translation for me.

    And: ehh you tease us with that board and then don't tell us anything. Not funny! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.