Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fit of the Week: More Armageddons

I hate repeating myself, but if I'm going to pick my favorite Amarr battleship right now, it isn't hard.  The Abaddon is... the Abaddon.  I'm just not happy with the Apocalypse in any role except as a beam-fit sniper.  It'll be a FOTW sooner or later, but it's just too specialized right now.  Favorite Amarr battleship?  Geddon.  Favorite way to fit it?  All neut monster.  It was quite literally the FOTW two months ago.  That said, that was pre-battleship buff.  So let's start with how the fit has changed and throw in some drones, too:

[Armageddon, All neut mk2]
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II
Power Diagnostic System II
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Prototype 100MN Microwarpdrive I
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800
Warp Disruptor II

Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I

Garde II x5
Bouncer II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5
Valkyrie II x5
Warrior II x5


The Geddon picked up another mid slot, which means you now have the ability to point the targets that you're neuting.  The Geddon also now has sufficient CPU to actually do its job.  You can run the MWD and the ship's coffee maker at the same time!  That means you can remove the Co-Processor that was an integral part of the May fitting.  However, the reduction of the number of highs came with a reduction in grid, which means you need to replace the Co-Proc with a Power Diagnostic System to close the grid gap.  You also lose a low slot and are down to seven.  That does unfortunate things to your tank but there's ways around that.  We'll get to that.

The other thing I didn't mention too much last time are the drone swarm that you should carry.  The Geddon now carries a fairly insane number of drones, equivalent to a Dominix!  So carry the same sort of drone comp as a Domi: long range damage set, short range high damage set, a flight of mediums, a flight of lights, and a flight of ECs.  In this case, since the Geddon specializes in skirmish-range combat, I've gone with Sentry drones for both the long- and short-range sets.  In the old days, a Geddon would carry a flight of Beserkers for the short-range set and you can still do that if you're so inclined.  The long-range set can either be Bouncers or Curators.  Your heavier damage sets will do about 450 DPS... it isn't great, but you're not primarily there for your DPS.  Any DPS you add is incidental.

The biggest change to the Geddon, of course, is that the neuts now operate at 37800 meters, which... is... insane.  Good Heavens, is this ship scary when you try to move in on it.  A smart neut pilot will counter-cycle his neuts instead of using them all at the same time.  Hit one neut every two seconds or so; that way there's always one ready for your use when you need it.

Let's talk about the tank a little bit because there's an interesting option that's sometimes overlooked.  If you're running an Armageddon like this one, chances are you're running either Legion or Damnation armor links.  If that's the case, pull off the second EANM and add a Reactive Armor Hardener.  With armor links, you'll run up against diminishing returns with the second EANM.  The major downside to the RAH is the amount of cap it uses.  But of course with double Heavy Capacitor Boosters and the Geddon's silly cargo bay, you're probably not going to be having cap issues.  As a result, the Geddon fit this way becomes a tanking monster.

Other than that, go re-read my May article on this ship, because it still applies.  The base armor HP is even higher than it was in May... significantly so.  Matter of fact, it's not completely out of the question to replace the second EANM with a Drone Damage Amplifier if you have Legion or Damnation links.  Still, there's an amusing alternative if you want a damage boat.

Know what we're going to see a lot of in the Alliance Tournament this year?  Cruise Missile Geddons.  Yes!  Here's a sample.  Consider it a bonus FOTW:

[Armageddon, Cruise Missiles]
Damage Control II
Co-Processor II
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates II

Prototype 100MN Microwarpdrive I
Conjunctive Radar ECCM Scanning Array I
Heavy Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 800
Large Micro Jump Drive

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Cruise Missile
Cruise Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Inferno Cruise Missile
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I
Heavy Unstable Power Fluctuator I

Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I
Large Trimark Armor Pump I

Berserker II x5
Warden II x5
Valkyrie II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5
Warrior II x5


Fly it more or less the way I've been talking about flying the Raven and Typhoon from the last two weeks, but now your defensive neuts have the really scary Geddon range bonus.  Your tank isn't quite as good, of course, but you do a hell of a lot more damage: 700+ at 100km, and it only goes up if someone's crazy enough to come into your neut envelope and you can launch Berserkers at them.  It's a fun alternative, and you have the MJD to get yourself out of trouble.

In the tournament, in groups of three?  These are going to be terrifying.  If you don't close on them, you'll be taking 2100 DPS of cruise missile damage that you can't respond to.  If you close on them, they're doing even more damage and you're facing six heavy neuts that you're going to have a damn hard time shutting down.  As I said, look for this to happen a lot in AT11.  In fact, it may be the second most common T1 battleship in the tournament this year... after my final (and favorite) T1 battleship.  That's next week.

Happy neuting!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

13 comments:

  1. Frankly, I prefer using Apocalypse as a mid range kiter rather than a beam sniper. With Pulses, Scorch, range bonus and tracking boost, that gives it a hell of an applied damage (not that Geddon is bad, of course).

    I guess next week your choice will end up being the Dominix. Too bad, I was hoping for something a bit more creative. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted my favorite Gallente BS to be a five mid-slot Mega, but my Mega fifth mid slot was cruelly ripped from me, soooo...

      Delete
    2. I second the 5-mid mega...but some things are just too good to be true. On that note, the bonuses on the Hyperion are nice, but it still bugs me that the Gallente are the only race without an 8 slot battleship.

      As for the Apoc, the big problem with the Apoc is that it's crap. You want a pulse laser boat? Get a Navy Geddon. Want beams/tach? Get an oracle. If your using an Apoc, your doing it wrong.

      Delete
  2. I can see that last fit getting even nastier if you bear in mind that the drones are now the Armageddon's primary weapon system. It may sound a little odd, but if you step down the cruise launchers and the damage control to Meta-4, and swap one of the ballistics for a drone damage amp ... you've suddenly got enough CPU free to lose the co-processor, fit a second DDA, and suddenly you're doing over 750 DPS out to lock range, 850 with Berserkers, or 979 if you go with Ogre II's. That's not too far off an pre-rebalance gank laser 'Geddon, even factoring in reduced damage from the missiles.

    Any particular reason for the focus on the cruises (through the dual BCS)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the ability to get out of trouble and still do good DPS. I think it's going to take a week or so for people to put scrams on significant ships in the tourney, so you're going to see a lot of dying battleships just MJD out of danger.

      That said, your idea would be better for a roaming-style Geddon. I like it!

      Delete
    2. Just don't make the mistakes I did when I took a triple-plated, dual-DDA variant out for a check ride in Black Rise. I forgot to mount a cap booster. Never again. And I forgot to get someone to fly my wing. Again, never again. (It did take something like ten minutes for the pirates to chew through the trimarks and the 1600 plates, though, although that might be because the Cynabal kept stopping to pop the drones I kept launching to shake the Pilgrim off...)

      Delete
    3. Your a bit off. My pre-nerf geddon, with Imp Navy Multifreq and berserker II's got me ~1350 DPS overheated before implants and still had 120k EHP before boosts. With that in mind I was a bit confused when they made the Apoc the Amarr skirmisher and didn't really do anything to improve it. I like the neut bonus on my geddon but i was still pretty sad when I had to take those pulse laser II's off. Much like the new mega, the rebalance could have been soo much better.

      Delete
    4. There's a problem with that Jester, once you'll be MJD-ing away the only damage you'll have will be your 350 dps from cruise, I wouldn't call that decent. Reason? Drone Control Range.

      Every time I fit Cruises I'm sadly reminded that they only contribute for a maximum if 360dps (with 2 BCS) which leads me to frequently replace the BCS by DDAs and even sometime remove a launcher for a drone link augmentor if the doctrine requires it.

      Delete
    5. I ran into the same problem but seems you only can target out too 80+ something using the Geddon. How do I get 700DPS at 100+ range?

      Delete
  3. I have almost the exact same geddon with a AB instead of MWD for better cap control and using "Plan H" to maintain some range control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with the recent revision to NOS, it is not a consideration to either fitting?

    Prefer the Winmatar drones. Both Sentries and otherwise. Decent tracking and range. The issue with Sentries is the need to return to collect or the possible sacrifice and abandon them if you need to suddenly run.

    I would also highly recommend a set of armor rep drones for all occasions. I will sometimes carry a mix of 4armor and 1shield for a drone flight.

    And since it has been acknowledged by CCP, those in the know are still waiting for a straight swap between Min/Amarr drones for the damage multiple.

    Hmm prefer a painter to the ECCM. especially when coupled with those missiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why no ship scanner? Isn't that better than the point when you have multiple things to neut?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings experts. In practice, won't the ridiculous neut range of the new Armageddon eat into the Curse's niche?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.