Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fit of the Week: Double bubble Heretic

I really enjoy flying interdictors, or I did until I ran out of clone slots.  I rarely get podded and right at the moment, my clone slots are all pretty expensive, including two clones heavily invested in 5% implants from Alliance Tournament 10.  I'm kinda curious when I'm going to lose them and haven't been able to seriously consider just destroying the expensive implants.

So I'm again going to express my happiness about the upcoming Advanced Infomorph Psychology skill.  Needless to say, about ten minutes after I log in after Odyssey 1.1, Ripard will be training this skill a level or two.  ;-)  And that means I get to have a cheap clone slot which means I won't mind bubbling myself in an interdictor.  My favorite dictor has been a specialized "double bubble" Sabre fit but now that I'm looking at them again, I find myself seriously considering buying a big pile of Heretics...

[Heretic, Double bubble]
Co-Processor II
Co-Processor II
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

Prototype Cloaking Device I
Interdiction Sphere Launcher I, Warp Disrupt Probe
Interdiction Sphere Launcher I, Warp Disrupt Probe
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket

Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I


I generally start my dictor fits with double bubble, a prototype cloak, MWD, and at least one MSE.  That nearly always necessitates a CPU fitting mod thanks to the massive CPU use of the double warp disrupt probe launchers.  In this case though, as I built up the fit, something interesting happened: I had one more low slot than I expected which when filled with a second co-proc, opened up all sorts of nice fitting options.

So this is what I ended up with, though I might tweak the fit here and there as I develop it.  It's got a lot of really nice qualities.  The first is that it's surprisingly tanky.  My standard Sabre fit has about 8000 EHP but has horrid resists in both shields and armor.  This one is close to 10k with much superior resists thanks to the ability to wedge on a meta Damage Control.  Remember when shield-tanking Gallente ships was a joke?  Thanks to its impressive grid, now I'm shield-tanking an Amarr ship.

Sabres are the gold standard for dictor speed at 2500m/s and I've always bemoaned the Flycatcher's 2150 or so.  The Heretic splits the difference at around 2250.  It's also about as agile as a Sabre when fit this way.  Both qualities are very important for quickly getting a dictor into bubble position in the various defensive uses of bubbles.

Finally, my current second-favorite dictor, the Flycatcher, has to sacrifice virtually all DPS to its primary role of "double bubble, cloak" but the Heretic does not.  There's sufficient fitting room left over for about 120 DPS, which is just fine for chewing up pesky drones which might surround you or for ensuring that you're on kill-mails.  ;-)  The main sacrifice you make compared to a Sabre is the lack of a 4th mid.  On that mid, my Sabres nearly always have some supplemental tackle but the Heretic can't really do that.

But the biggest advantage of the Heretic is the price.  A Heretic hull runs around 30 million ISK, compared to about 41 for a Sabre hull.  That makes the small sacrifices that you make for the Amarr dictor livable, particularly given that you're in a ship that doesn't have the intimidation factor that the Sabre often does.  And cheap is important since so many dictors die in the performance of their duties.

So it's cheap, probably fast enough, and effective.  That's a pretty nice trade!  As I said, I haven't decided on this as the final fit -- I need to dig into it a tiny bit more -- but I think it's a great first start.

Bubble up!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

6 comments:

  1. Do you have any ideas about what should be done to interdictors when it gets to there turn on the balancing wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't that fit have a massive EM hole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get my bubble(s) down and my dps gang pops you while you're messing about looking for the ammo you need to (even more) quickly pop an interdictor, I've probably just done my job three times over for that fight.

      Delete
    2. The issue is that many people have EMP/Scorch/Curators loaded a lot of the time by default, especially against a shield gang (you wouldn't use shield heretic in an armor fleet)

      Delete
  3. I'd be curious to see your Flycatcher fit. Because If you're forgoing additional tackle, and you're happy witha dps close to 100, this heretic doesn't bring a lot to the table, not even the price.
    It's always nice to have an unusual ship for the suprise factor though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off topic, however....

    Those implants arent doing shit for you in their clone vats. Quit being one of those risk averse pvp'ers and go fight. If you lose it, so what? You got your moneys worth using them.

    Its just pixels, afterall.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.