Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

CSM8 Status report: Week twenty-three

This is one of those weeks that were I just a blogger again instead of on the CSM, I would be berating the CSM for its lack of progress.  "Where are the damn minutes?!" many of you are asking me.  And all I can say is, "I know, I know..."  I haven't decided what's worse: if we'd been a war-time CSM, or this constant low level of avoidable CCP issues.  We had two formal meetings with CCP about the SOMER Blink situation in the last week, plus a plethora of informal discussions.

The good news: CCP is taking the situation seriously.  The bad news: when they have meetings with us, that's what they want to talk about.  At this point, CCP Dolan has all or virtually all of the completed minutes in his possession but when the CSM said we'd like to post a public statement about the SOMER Blink issue, followed by a proposal to engage players on the issue of rewarding community fan sites, that diverted CCP's attention.  So now the challenge is getting our discussions with CCP back on the productive topic of publishing some minutes.

I'm going to skip posting the minutes status this week.  It's not much changed from last week so you can look at that.  I want to extend huge thanks to every CSM8 member that is helping with this effort.  Dolan is also starting to ask us who we think should attend the winter summit.  Other CSM members might vote differently, but I myself let convention and spreading trips to Iceland "fairly" be damned and cast my votes for the people who either attended the summer summit remotely or are helping with the minutes.  When Dolan asks me for my votes at which CSM members should attend Fanfest 2014, I'll be voting the same way.  And I've told everyone so...

We've also been quite busy with an increasing number of private forum threads about additional Rubicon features.  You'll find the details of these in the Features and Ideas section of the forum as they get released.  Remember how I said on day two of the mini summit update that Superfriends had drawn the most challenging and contentious potential feature of Rubicon?  Well, they've worked on it and addressed the vast bulk of CSM8's concerns.  I think many of you will be pleased when you see what they have in store for you.

Pretty much every F&I thread to date has been shared with us in advance and we've been able to give feedback on them.  This has stressed CSM8's ability to generate quick turn-around because often with these dev-posts, we're given less than 24 hours to provide our feedback.  But the devs in question have been great about listening to our concerns when we have them and adjusting their delivery here and there.  More to come!

Xander Phoena continues his monthly series of CSM interviews, with Trebor Daehdoow and Chitsa Jason featured this month.  I've not yet had a chance to listen to it myself but I suspect it's pretty entertaining...  Ali Aras also continues to do her space hangouts most Saturdays.

A few of you have asked me "How come you never talk about CSM member X?" for various values of X.  Let's just say that CSM8 is off its post-election peak of 11-12 active members.  Many members are still active, but some do not spend all that much time with us on Skype, the internal forums, or in meetings.  Absolutely no disrespect intended toward my fellow members; I know some of them are very busy with RL activities.  I myself am still recovering from my RL move and a busy time at work.  But I'd be happier if more people were more involved.  All that said, If I don't mention a person here and there for several weeks at a time, you can probably safely assume they're one of the less active ones.

I will be at EVE Vegas this weekend along with Mangala Solaris.  So if some angry EVE player throws me off the top of the Stratosphere (or vice versa), this will be my last CSM update, heh.  For those attending this weekend, I look forward to meeting you!  Look for me in the Valkryie line.  Chances are pretty good that's where I'll be.  ;-)

21 comments:

  1. I'm on the verge of changing my estimated date for the release of the minutes from Halloween to Thanksgiving (American), which is 6 weeks from tomorrow on 28 November. Begrudgingly, I will toss some kudos in CCP Dolan's direction for the time and effort he has been expending. Seriously, though, does anyone think he earns anything more than minimum wage in his position?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ripard,

    thanks for keeping the constant updating process alive. I only can imagine you and your fellow CSM-members have a lot going on "behind the scene". Thanks for your dedication and the time you spend for making EVE a better game.

    BR Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did the eris change get past you guys....split weapons are supposed to be dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone tell that to the Scythe Fleet Issue.

      Delete
    2. Scythe fleet chooses one or the other. Eris has 4 of each in 8 highslots.

      Delete
  4. Don't forget to say hi to the beautiful and petite blonde and redhead that will be wearing "Ripard Teg for CSM9" T-shirts and waving to you - we have something to give you up in our hotel room.... "hugs and kisses"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect my wife might object to this for some reason...

      Delete
    2. woohoo... Jester!!!!... Being the most popular CSM have its perk huh.. You should not let the other CSM know or else they'll get jealous for all these attention your getting ;)

      Delete
  5. So, do we get to receive the minutes before or after the next summit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ProGodLegend invented being absent on the CSM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of at least one prior art on that claim.

      Delete
  7. Your last status update had 15 of 24 session completed, with 3-4 of the remaining ones possibly not getting minutes. Are you saying that *none* of the remaining 5-6 sessions have been completed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe one more is complete, and work has started on another. But I didn't want to say that in the main post without proof of where things stand.

      Delete
  8. So which one of you, or was it a group, that made the suggestion to, or agreed with CCP, regarding the gutting of the Marauder class. You have utterly fucked the armour versions for incursions, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world does not revolve around you Dinsdale.

      Delete
    2. Now that you're a minor celebrity, you should run for CSM 9.

      Delete
    3. They didn't fucked armor incursion fleets, paladin changed and you refuse to change your fit and the way of flying.

      Delete
    4. Good god, shut the fuck up. Do you even play EVE or do you just spend your time posting bitchfests in F&I?

      Delete
  9. Didn't you do a chart one time showing the average amount of time to release minutes for the various CSM terms' regular and emergency summits? I wonder where this set falls in that continuum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have mixed feelings on the new Marauder changes. On one hand you can tank solo Level 5 missions while in Bastion mode, but watch out when cap runs out, you have to shut it off and wait to warp out. I tested this out on Test server in an actual level 5 mission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Remember how I said on day two of the mini summit update that Superfriends had drawn the most challenging and contentious potential feature of Rubicon? Well, they've worked on it and addressed the vast bulk of CSM8's concerns."

    Everyone's except for mynnna's, apparently.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.