Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Must Read Blogs update

I've made a few tweaks to the "Must Read Blogs" off to the right.  A reminder of the rules: to be listed there,
  1. your blog must be at least 50% EVE content;
  2. you must post at least every other day or so; and,
  3. you must make me smile.
The limit for the Must Read Blogs list is twelve blogs.

Poetic Stanziel is off the list, as he's likely to violate rule #1 in short order.  But I've moved him down to the "Infrequent but Important" list a) because I think he'll be back, and b) because I suspect he's still got a few important things to say about EVE even before he leaves off.  Likewise, Mat Westhorpe's Freebooted gets bumped to the lower list and will probably soon be removed entirely, but you can (and should!) read Mat's stuff at GameSkinny.

Joining the list is Sugar Kyle's Low Sec Lifestyle blog.  Kyle has a quite off-beat writing style and she's been kind of on the border of being listed for a long while now.  Hers isn't one that I read every day, because she doesn't do "topical" the way a lot of EVE bloggers do.  Hers is much more a story-based blog.  Sometimes, her off-beat posts go straight off-kilter -- the sort of thing that makes you laugh but you're not sure why you're laughing.  ;-)  But often, she'll slip out of a story and go straight into some of her insights about the EVE experience and I've found those to be quite interesting!  She's not for everybody, but go give the blog a read.

Also joining is Drackarn's Sand, Cider and Spaceships.  This one may or may not stay on the list long-term.  Drackarn doesn't always pass rule #2 but when he does write, he nearly always makes me smile.  His blog is a lovely mix of story, insight, EVE player guides, and flat-out irreverence which I appreciate.  What can I say?  I like the cut of his jib.

I'll be tweaking the pod-cast list in a day or so with ones I've been listening to.  And once my last responsibilities to the summer summit minutes are done, I think I'll be moving a new game up to the "Current MMOs" list and writing about it a bit.

EDIT 2/Oct/2013: Updated to correctly reflect Kyle's gender.  Thanks to Rhavas for the heads up!

18 comments:

  1. What about Eve Altruist?

    I'm really sad to see him go. He's one of the first Eve blogs I found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I couldn't bear to remove him just yet.

      Delete
  2. Sugar Kyle ... is a her.

    ~ Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. I enjoy Low Sec Lifestyle as well. I've always wonder if Sugar Kyle was a guy or girl, not that it matters but since the toon is a girl, I've always just referred to Sugar as a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In before Sugar... but he is a she, don't want to offend anyone now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woot, I made the cut despite being a bit sketchy on that first bullet! Some weeks it is all about EVE, and other weeks... not so much. I am good on the second one. And the third... it must be my endearing air of cognitive dissonance keeping me around. I swear, I think I am having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar Kyle is a she.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Sugar Kyle an actual she? and you edit fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I post normally Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays unless there is something special (Blog banter, major Eve event etc). So that is once every 2.33 days. However, I have one non-Eve related post in 351 posts. So that is 99.715% Eve content. May be the two balance out ;o)

    Anyway thanks for the inclusion and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sugar is a she :)

    Thank you for the inclusion. Thank my gender correctors as well. My husband won't have an unpleasant surprise when he comes home...

    I'm a firm believer that too much serious posting makes me feel boring. Also, someone has to catalog the spaceship species habits and habitats of New Eden....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cant believe you missed Greedy Goblin on your list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say why would Jester want to add that rubbish - but then I remembered that he said he liked a read that made him laugh...

      Delete
    2. Goblins writing is controversial to say the least. Some articles are quite entertaining but some contain multiple incorrect stats/facts. I'm not sure if it is deliberate as the articles I'm referring to are on strategies for certain situations rather than his anti-goon rhetoric. His failure to take on board advice or even accept the possibility he may be wrong blunts any point he makes in subsequent articles I'm afraid.

      Delete
  11. Care to consider a fairly new (about a month or so) Eve-focused PvP blog at targetcaller.blogspot.com? I'm posting on average about once every two days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEA!!! Sugar Kyle made the list. I've been reading "her" blog for about a year now. Yippy....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was kind of you to keep me around, sir.

    I apologize to everyone that may have been removed or moved. It was probably me who prompted the re-examination of the lists.

    ReplyDelete
  14. But often, she'll slip out of a story and go straight into some of his insights about the EVE experience and I've found those to be quite interesting! She's not for everybody, but go give the blog a read. Guess you missed one edit :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.