Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Art assets

I'm working on my junk drawer post for the month of November, but so many of the items in it are art-related that it feels right to do all of them as a separate post. There's still plenty of things left in the junk drawer that aren't art-related. Ready? Here goes.

---snip---

Let's start with a few pictures, one comment per picture. There's a hidden message in the Mobile Depot art:


This little comic made me laugh. If you haven't been to Jita in a while, you might not get it:


From the world of DUST 514, a plea for romance:


New hardware apparently makes CCP Guard hot:


I was all set to praise this little graphic as one of the best throw-away ads that CCP had ever done for one of their PLEX sales. Very atmospheric, nice use of EVE assets, really striking and eye-catching. Then I spotted something directly to the right of that Cynabal that I probably wasn't intended to see. You tell me: am I seeing something that isn't there?


Ahem. Speaking of inappropriate content, finally there's this little gem. At one time, the entirety of Goonfleet was gagged from speaking in Local -- any Local -- for "offensive language in a public channel." Glad they've matured since then.


---snip---

This one is somewhat art-related. CCP Masterplan proved that not only is he a genius developer, he's a genius artist as well. "graphs are ok but all the cool devs use gifs now", MeBiatch wrote about Masterplan's excellent warp speed changes dev-blog. Tau Cabalander added that for truly epic graphs, the following would need to be added:
  • Usage of pink.
  • Watermark.
  • Hand-drawn art.
That would be the best dev blog ever!

What could Masterplan do except comply?


---snip---

This made me laugh, but it's not accurate:


Confederation of xXPIZZAXx is all but dead but they never belonged in that lower right square. Good are those who desire the greatest happiness for the greatest number, therefore evil is its opposite: those who only care for their own happiness. Those who spread chaos don't really care who they step on to get that happiness. Is there someone else on that grid that description applies to that you can think of?

Here's a hint: Rote Kapelle will be happy to take over the neutral square from them.

---snip---

I am such a sucker for the new Apocalypse model. It's currently my favorite battleship model in EVE. So I so pleased to see a new wallpaper for it that I want to spread the wealth.


---snip---

And finally, this seems like a good bit of art to close on. I'm not even sure who made it, but it made me smile! Someone claim it in the comments so I can issue credit where it's due.


More junk drawer stuff of a non-visual nature tomorrow...

19 comments:

  1. I think that last one is a Rixx creation, but I'm not entirely sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original Expendables/Eve Bloggers pic was created by none other than Rixx Javix himself! No idea who added the additional captions. "Meme Guy"? Of all the options that someone could have put, I'm OK with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of the MSPainting of Rixx's last supper of the bloggers. That's from a little while ago

      Delete
  3. Move the 'Good' row to 'Neutral' and the 'Neutral' row to 'Evil', and that diagram would be fairly accurate.

    Sindel Pellion and Chribba might qualify for a Good alignment - everyone else in EVE is neutral at best. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE: Cynabal pic

    A Rifter-hull silhouette and what looks like a pod? A moon? One of the towers looking like an Apocalypse? The same tower and one to its right liiking like an Amarr or Gallente border gate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem very close to the surface of the planet...

      Delete
    2. The only unusual thing I see there it's the Earth's Moon, which certainly shouldn't be at New Eden.

      Delete
    3. maybe it's the *EARTH*'s moon!! tan-tan-taaaan!!!

      ... seriously Jester, what did you see?

      LR

      Delete
  5. To be an alignment nerd, I'm pretty sure neutral is where you don't care who you step on for your own happiness. Chaotic evil is where you'll even do evil things that don't help you or make sense. What makes the Joker so bad is that he will kill you _for doing what he wanted_ as often as killing you for a punishment for not doing what you wanted. He doesn't want diamonds or money, he wants to watch the world burn. That's what chaotic evil is

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I've looked to the right of that cynabal, but for the life of me I don't see it...
    what is it :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a penis. Also the apocalypse wall paper is not posted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And the Apoc wallpaper shows for me in both FF and MSIE. What browser is it not showing up in?

      Delete
    2. Apoc shows fine on chrome too

      Delete
  8. Is it the vaguely phallic tower rising into the moon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is the outline of a face on the moon behind, with the eye being just to the left of the tallest tower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the gagging of goons should be an annual live event, extend to the forums.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a higher res SOE Battleship picture you could share? CCP's shown it already-- it's just that the screencaps of it so far are sort of terrible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.