Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, December 20, 2013

Best of 2013: 5 - 2

I'm combining a "Best of 2013" retrospective with a good old-fashioned pledge drive.

If anything you've read on this blog this year has made you smile, made you laugh, saved your ship, gotten you a ship fitting you like, made you some ISK, or otherwise gotten you through a boring work day, gate camp, structure bash, or fleet op, I'm here asking that you throw a little ISK my way. It doesn't have to be a lot; just whatever you can afford. Alternately, if you have assets or experienced characters scattered around that you have been too lazy to get rid of or don't want any more, those are just as valuable to me. Contract them over or contact me about a character transfer and I'll find new owners for them or I'll put them to work myself.

Either way, send your contributions or your contracts to Ripard Teg in game. And let me know in an EVE mail if you want the fact that you contributed to be public or not. Thank you so much to those of you that have contributed! Public shout-outs to Kyburscha, Captain Amos Trask, and Kartoc Delunn (all of whom were very generous!), Vhalasedai, and Schizomania. Your contributions really mean a lot. Sometimes writing this blog is a little thankless...

I'll be shaking the tin cup until tomorrow in the "Best of" posts, concluding with what I thought was my best post of 2013 tomorrow.

#5: PvP 201: Basic Ship Fitting Theory

I think the Overheating Guide that I wrote last year is the best player guide I've ever written. But I think this one is #2. It's about a subject that I've never seen addressed before. Instead of covering how to fit a specific ship, or even a specific class of ships, it gives you the tools to understand the underlying theory of how people who are good at ship-fitting approach the topic. Needless to say, it's also one of the longest and most complex guides I've ever written and got a lot of positive responses. I'm quite pleased with it! As I said a couple of days ago, player guides will be a priority in 2014.

#4: Fractal
This one was one of my first tent-pole pieces of the year. It was also what in journalist terms is a "think piece" on the nature of finding avenues for newish players in EVE Online. But in the process of writing about newer players, I also extended the discussion to newer corps and alliances, which tend to be smaller than the giant monsters now roaming low- and null-sec. This piece has the distinction of being the first one in which I used the United States-Germany-Iran analogy when talking about how I'd like null-sec to operate: with big coalitions, medium-size alliances, and small corporations being able to co-exist in null. As it is now, the United States conquers the entire northern hemisphere and then rents Iceland back to the locals for a couple billion a month.

#3: The money barrier
I wrote a lot of posts this year looking into CCP's business decisions, and none were more widely read than the ones in which I looked at CCP's addiction to hiring executives from Electronic Arts this year. This particular post looked at Sean Decker, hired mid-year as their SVP of Product Development. Hundreds of EVE players immediately spun up the "CCP is going down the road to micro-transactions and hell!" I tried to react a bit more moderately. And in this post I looked at Decker's background, both the negative of micro-transactions and the potential positive of common development environments. It was a contentious but popular piece.

#2: Well, that escalated quickly -> Did things just get better or worse?
Finally, in the last double-feature on the list, I looked at how CCP very quietly and with no fuss at all did their best to drive a stake through the moon goo method of alliance funding. If they had a dream of reducing the size of alliances by taking away their income streams had to be short-lived, though. Goonswarm briefly looked into taking over every single moon in the west half of New Eden, then instead responded by breaking a long-standing tradition of making fun of slumlords and becoming one. These two posts looked into the economics of why.

Tomorrow:  #1, what I thought was the best piece I wrote this year.


  1. On the fractal idea, POCOs have introduced really interesting small scale, meaningful war to hi-sec. I say this as someone who has been fighting in these wars.

    However, there is a big problem - the cost of war deccing large corporations is prohibitive. If I want to capture one customs office from a large corp such as goonswarm, it costs far too much. The income from the customs offices would never pay back the cost.

    Before hi-sec POCOs, the variable war deccing cost might have made sense. But now we need the cost to war dec a corporation to be 50 million isk regardless of the size of the corp. This would create a level playing field.

    Could you represent this view to the CSM/CCP?

  2. The most amusing fact which your retrospective makes clear is how little effect most of these so-called major changes have really had on the game.

    And, none of them had the desired effect that the CCP game designers had expected.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.